Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Fuel Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
i dont like the return to air part if-in i for get to manage fuel
That mainly happens if you take off with both pumps on, and the left tank full. The result is VERY heavy fuel consumtion until you notice it. Solution - don't do that. You could ensure that this doesn't happen by having the pumps on one on-off-on switch. Just be ready to whack it the other way fast if the engine falters on take-off. My way is to use both pumps unless the left tank is full. Ok - I forgot once. (sorry bout that, any Palm Beach residents reading this)

Another negative of my system is unknown failure of the solenoid which switches the return while running on left tank. The left tank level will go down fairly quickly, and the right tank level will go up. If the right tank happens to be (or becomes) full then once again, you're making gasoline showers for the neigbors. If you dont spot it you'll be left with all your fuel in the right tank, which is not really the end of the world. A solution for this would be a fuel flow detector on the right return, wired into the left pump switch. If the left pump is on, and there's fuel flowing in the right return then you have a problem - turn on a voice warning.

I think that covers the negatives. There are a lot of positives which I think outweigh these by far. Total redundancy (at least to the rail) to mention just the main one. ANYTHING goes wrong with one system - you got a spare.

Every system has its advantages and disadvantages. You pick. Other than pilot error, the main nasty to avoid for us, in my view, is vapor lock. To do this, make the lines short, locate the pumps and filters in a cool place, and put the pumps below the level of the tank.

As for the psychology of fuel management - this is such a critical item, and it bites so many pilots that it has to be, like Georgia, always on your mind. Checking on your fuel status on a regular basis has to be part of your routine.

If you want a backup, some engine monitors come with an alarm. You set the period, say 1 hour, then it goes off every hour and, if you hook it up to a cheap voice system, it will say "Steve - time to change tanks" in your headset. Al Wick has an interesting computerized system that monitors the levels, fuel flow etc and applies programmed logic to the whole thing, then flashes an icon at you. It does the same for canopy, gear, landing brake and a bunch of other things. I think he may be offering this system for sale now. The main problem is that I think it's Windows based.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

well, my fuel system is on the shelf, in the store and basically roughed out.

finger strainer at each tank - done
double throw valve - have 50 used special
35 gph elec pump through backup pump, only one i have found is 500 dam bucks
screen
gascolator
filter
mechanical fuel pump
fuel rail - need to fabricate and choose injectors
preasure regulator - thinking i need two in case primary fails
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-06-2005, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
If you want a backup, some engine monitors come with an alarm. You set the period, say 1 hour, then it goes off every hour and, if you hook it up to a cheap voice system, it will say "Steve - time to change tanks" in your headset. Al Wick has an interesting computerized system that monitors the levels, fuel flow etc and applies programmed logic to the whole thing, then flashes an icon at you. It does the same for canopy, gear, landing brake and a bunch of other things. I think he may be offering this system for sale now. The main problem is that I think it's Windows based.
Gives the blue screen of death a whole new meaning...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

or my favorite....

Catastrophic System Failure. OK?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo
I think Rich is right.

Steve looks much older and alot like Bruce.

Next thing y'know, he'll be spouting those catch-phrases like "yippee ky yay...") n'stuff like that.

When I read Steve's posts, I hear a "Die Hard" voice instead of the little kid voice.

If he goes to Wal Mart to buy airplane parts in the plumbing section, where does he go to buy bathtub parts?

Just askin.
My sister just called and she found a camera in her bath room,so i removed it,on the side of it i could just bearly make out the words..
HAPPY fathers day clutch