Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Fuel Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 AM
G.Norman

Default Re: Chapter 6 - Fuel Valve

Quote:
water go's to the lowest point, you will need to go down hill to the new spot then back up to the engine via the pump and gasalater.
Let's hope the water is removed before it gets to the valve. The plans tank and sump setup has it so the inlet lines should be above any little bubbles of water you may accumulate. No problem with the valve lower unless you need to change it and there's a siphon problem. Otherwise there should be no air or water with Wayne's setup.

Hey, Stevo I got a valve just like yours now.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
Let's hope the water is removed before it gets to the valve. The plans tank and sump setup has it so the inlet lines should be above any little bubbles of water you may accumulate. No problem with the valve lower unless you need to change it and there's a siphon problem. Otherwise there should be no air or water with Wayne's setup.

Hey, Stevo I got a valve just like yours now.
thats good to know, i didnt do a drain other than plans
they are cool huh. im doing a new cover to match but keeping the non-off thingy. you gots a flair tool yet? 69.00 free shiping 1/8 to 3/4 37 deg.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
you gots a flair tool yet? 69.00 free shiping 1/8 to 3/4 37 deg.
Nope. But now I'll borrow yours.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
Nope. But now I'll borrow yours.
and i deliver free!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Chapter 4

Do the fuel systems with the fuel valve mounted up high (shoulder height)have in tank fuel pumps? It seems a pump would be necessary to push the fuel "over the hill".
Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

With the low wing of the EZ's, all except one plane i knows of have a fuel pump or pumps at the engine.

one long or was it a vari has run for years and years uses no pump to go up to the engine.

but good point, i will be pulling the fuel up an extra 6 or so inches
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Anunson View Post
Do the fuel systems with the fuel valve mounted up high (shoulder height)have in tank fuel pumps? It seems a pump would be necessary to push the fuel "over the hill".
Besides all the issues you would have to deal with to make that work, I would worry about adding high pressure fuel lines into the cockpit, from two seperate pumps no less.
If you had a fuel leak in the plans system, you would probably detect it from the smell alone and find a drip-drip somehwere. The same leak from a high pressure line would be a very different story, especially if airborne.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

In tank pumps are very popular in autos for two good reasons

pumps "pump" better than suck
the fuel they are in cools them

in strake fuel tanks, they would be difficult to install requiring a substantial access point.

As far as High pressure in the cabin, just the way that it is, only other way to do it is forget the valve and go into valveless systems which we have just been talkin about and none of which excite me.

I'll stick with a simple double throw valve, at my fingertips, with two separate tanks, high pressure lines and return lines and all.
dust

Old 07-19-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
I'll stick with a simple double throw valve, at my fingertips, with two separate tanks, high pressure lines and return lines and all.
Dust, are you saying that you have two seperate pumps BEFORE the DT valve? otherwise there is no high pressure and there is no returning going on at the valve??? I might be reading that wrong???
Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Got Foam?

Yes, a fuel sysem where the pump is in the sump sounds good but how does it do in inverted flight?
A central sump (or split central sump) with the on/off switch for that source would eliminate the valve completely.
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Heath View Post
Dust, are you saying that you have two seperate pumps BEFORE the DT valve? otherwise there is no high pressure and there is no returning going on at the valve??? I might be reading that wrong???

no, two pumps under the cowl, one mechanical and one backup electrical.

fuel goes from the tank to the valve to filters and regulator and pumps and then back to the valve to go back to the tank from which it came.
dust

Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
Yes, a fuel system where the pump is in the sump sounds good but how does it do in inverted flight?
A central sump (or split central sump) with the on/off switch for that source would eliminate the valve completely.
heh heh heh, you have made up you mind, but now at least you are talkin about a split sump!!!
dust

Old 07-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
fuel goes from the tank to the valve to filters and regulator and pumps and then back to the valve to go back to the tank from which it came.
If you ever want to fly, you may need to get the fuel into the engine somewhere along that line, should be cheap on fuel though
Old 07-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
heh heh heh, you have made up you mind, but now at least you are talkin about a split sump!!!
Yeah, I leave the option open but I still like the idea of a central sump with check valves from each tank. That would simplify your pressure relief overflow. Just have it return to the sump. It's more or less a closed system. No air is present unless you run the tanks dry.

I know JD talks about the central sump system a lot. I'm hooking up with him in a couple of hours. I'll run it past him. He has a lot more experience than I do.
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
That would simplify your pressure relief overflow. Just have it return to the sump. It's more or less a closed system. No air is present unless you run the tanks dry.
ahhhh, hot fuel returned to central sump means the fuel at altitude will out gas in that central sump
dust