Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Fuel Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Andair Remote Fuel Selector

This month's KitPlanes magazine mentions a new "Remote" Andair Fuel Selector.

Couldn't tell if it was a mechanically actuated or electrically actuated and their website didn't have any info.

Anyone seen this? Comments? Flames? Good? Bad? No Opinion.

Later.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Bob Hassel

Default Andair Remote

The article says micro-processor-controlled fuel switching (electronic). No Fuel in the cockpit sounds like a great idea!
Cozy Plans #749
Chapter 4
Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net
http://www.hassel-usa.com
Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

I was never planning on having any fuel inside my cockpit.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 06-13-2006, 11:41 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default No fuel in the crockpit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur
Does coffee count?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Me neither! And you can do it a whole lot cheaper yourself with a couple of switches and selonoid valves. If you want it to look like a "real fuel valve", do what Andair is doing by using a valve handle to control the switches!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Cozy MKIV #1370

Any reliability concerns? Seems like not running lines all over the place is a good idea (make up for the cost of the remote valve too!!)
Old 06-15-2006, 03:52 PM

What happens if you lose your electrical system? How do you switch tanks? Do you wire the electronics directly to a battery?

And I personally don't understand why no fuel lines in the cabin. Short of bad workmanship at a connection, rupturing a strake during an accident is by far the pressing issue.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 06-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

I like my double throw fuel valve right at hand
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 AM

Every change you make for safety can potentially result in a new problem that is not immediately evident.

The LongEZ that John Denver died in was also modified to 'keep the gas out of the cockpit'. While the modification itself did not specifically fail, it contributed to creating a situation that resulted in a pilot dying.

A Scott Crossfield memorial article in this month's AOPA magazine mentioned that he championed keeping things simple. As an example, someone he worked with on the Wright Flyer replica mentioned that he advocated passing on various modifications because of possible tertiary complications that might be induced.

Better the devil you know, I suppose... I plan on running my fuel the way Nate suggested, for the most part. The only significant delta I anticipate is setting it up for L/R/Both/Off instead of just L/R like in the plans.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

I'm not putting in a valve just for the sake of having one. The electric in-tank fuel pumps in will have in the sump will work just fine as an on/off switch.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:32 AM

Was said: "Better the devil you know, <snip> The only significant delta I anticipate is setting it up for L/R/Both/Off instead of just L/R like in the plans."

-----> Ahhh, but now you've introduced a failure scenario. A "Both" valve is intended for a high-wing airplane, not low- or mid-mounted wings. Andair will specifically warn you of that. Suck one tank dry on "Both" and the engine will suck air. It won't start drawing from the other tank until you've closed off the line from the empty tank. How can that happen, you aks? Aren't both tanks supposed to be at the same levels, same hydrostatic pressures, you ask? All depends on your strake tanks and your vent lines. We've seen it before where the tanks were pressurized differently due to small variances in the vent lines. That causes one tank to be at a higher/lower level than the other.

-----> Now, I do have the L/R/Both valve. Understanding the scenario, I will take off and with the valve selected to fullest tank, never on Both. If I operate on Both, it will only be during cruise when each tank has 10 gallons or more. Plus, I have a fuel totalizer in my engine monitor. Operationally, I like knowing how much fuel was used from each tank. If I burned 10 gallons in one hour, I cannot guarantee I burned 5 gals each side with the valve set to Both.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 06-16-2006, 11:59 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
I'm not putting in a valve just for the sake of having one. The electric in-tank fuel pumps in will have in the sump will work just fine as an on/off switch.
Alternate engines are fine but alternate fuel systems are not. This seems to be the reason aircraft with alternate engines have so many systems problems, they change the systems to other then proven aircraft systems just to change them, just to be different instead of realizing all the systems history and that there idea has been tryed and was not found to be the best solution. Aircraft fuel systems have two pumps in line and the electric pump has a bypass so the mechanical pump can suck past the electric pump in case of failure and the electrical pump can pump thur the mechanical pump. If the electric pump is the shut off and the electric fails? My selector valve is never shut off, only used for maintaince or an emergency. If left on I just can't foget to turn it on. Using electric to shut off a fuel system can only fail to the off position.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

The reason i picked my valve and bought it used for a mere 50 bucks - my buddy the 25 year airplane accident investigator never saw one cause an accident.

I love gadgets - but not with my fuel flow
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world