Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Fuel Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Fuel cap problem

I installed lockable fuel caps part # FF36L from Wicks. Yesterday, during preflight, I couldn't get one of them off. I noticed previously that one (the other one) had been a bit sticky. With some difficulty and with the aid of two screw drivers for leverage I removed the caps and brought them home for dissassembly and inspection. (yes - I did tape over the fuel fillers).

The rotating body of the cap is plastic and is rotated via a central metal cam. In both caps the plastic has worn to the point that is was able to rotate without moving the cam, and vice versa.

In general I like these caps. I wish the opening was larger so I could get a better view inside the tank but otherwise they're pretty good, and they're well sealed. I also like the locking feature.

I've sent an email to the manufacturer in UK asking about availability of a replacement body. Perhaps the cold did something to seize the parts and cause the wear. In the meantime I'm hoping JB weld on the shaft will serve as a temporary solution. I'll report on back on what the manufacturer (Newton Equipment) has to say.