Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Fuel Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Sight gages and pre-flight.

Here's a story that should persuade flyers to ALWAYS remove the fuel cap and look into the tank during pre-flight.

Yesterday I was pre-flighting the Kitty. As part of the in-cockpit checks, I checked the sight gages. Right tank 7 gallons. Left tank full. Hmmm. I know that "full" on the sight gages mean I have twenty gallons or more. The last 10 gallons doesnt register because the gage doesnt span the entire height of the tank. I've been flying the tanks fairly evenly, and felt certain that the left tank was lower. As usual I proceeded to remove the caps and look at the fuel for confirmation. I dipped both tanks with a wooden brush handle. They were at about the same level. Another check of the left sight gage showed full. It seems that the lower hole in my left sight gage is blocked.

Any of you old & bold flyers know a way to unblock the hole without removing the gage? Those holes are pretty small. I wonder if it would be a good idea to drill them out to a slightly larger diameter when installing.

The other question is - what's blocking it? Does the plexi (and the hole) shrink when cold? The orange ball (from Vance) sank on the left side about a year ago. Maybe its blocking the hole, or has degraded (because of the autogas?) and produced crud which is now blocking the hole. Maybe I should check the fuel filters.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Default Vance fuel gages / sealed holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
Here's a story that should persuade flyers to ALWAYS remove the fuel cap and look into the tank during pre-flight.

Yesterday I was pre-flighting the Kitty. As part of the in-cockpit checks, I checked the sight gages. Right tank 7 gallons. Left tank full. Hmmm. I know that "full" on the sight gages mean I have twenty gallons or more. The last 10 gallons doesnt register because the gage doesnt span the entire height of the tank. I've been flying the tanks fairly evenly, and felt certain that the left tank was lower. As usual I proceeded to remove the caps and look at the fuel for confirmation. I dipped both tanks with a wooden brush handle. They were at about the same level. Another check of the left sight gage showed full. It seems that the lower hole in my left sight gage is blocked.

Any of you old & bold flyers know a way to unblock the hole without removing the gage? Those holes are pretty small. I wonder if it would be a good idea to drill them out to a slightly larger diameter when installing.

The other question is - what's blocking it? Does the plexi (and the hole) shrink when cold? The orange ball (from Vance) sank on the left side about a year ago. Maybe its blocking the hole, or has degraded (because of the autogas?) and produced crud which is now blocking the hole. Maybe I should check the fuel filters.
Hey John,

Something like this just came up in the forum discussion recently. In this thread, you can see where Buly suggested that some fuels (such as autogas) may cause the plastic to swell and close the little holes.

Swelled plastic?

I understand that you are flying with a rotary. ( A rotary is something that I am tempted to install after putting about 200K ground-miles on a 1988 13b engine a few years back until it got stolen.)

Hope that helps.
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
Maybe I should check the fuel filters.
Always a good idea
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world