Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Got Foam?

Default Re: Retract Users rolecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Erickson View Post
that would a very short list, starting with supplier # 0 and ending with supplier #0.
there has not been a r/g supplier to supply a complete set of gear for a eze type aircraft in over a year.
I quess the real question would be "Why is that?" Take a look at the composite airplane business. We have some excellent products that have been developed by very capable people but they fall out of the market for one reason or another.
You can't buy Long-EZ plans anymore. Reason: Too much success.
You can't buy a Berkut anymore. Reason: Withdrawn from the market.
Neither due to a lack of quality.

Quote:
that being the case what if you do have a set flying and you break something. bend or dent a tube. loose a brake and find yourself in the weeds and the gear is ripped off.
if the supplier takes several years to supply the gear then how long to get repair parts?
Subjective and based on what? Has anyone ever said they have had a problem getting a part or any other support from Infinity?
Quote:
if they have repair parts in stock then why not assemble some of the parts and ship them to their customers.
a few happy customers is better then none.
Doesn't that conflict with your previous statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I have heard of many builders waiting at least 4 years. Why do you think your going to be any different?
It doesn't take four years to build a set of gear. It takes a predefined number of orders to go to production with.
The illogical approach is to wait for him to make a production run and then order your gear. (A lot like buying a stock after you hear how much people are making off of it.)
I'm not selling the gear, I'm buying it. There is nothing wrong with the design and everything right in my book.
I didn't just pick these EZ plans up at a flea market and start on it the next day. I've had these plans for close to 20 years. I bought them from another EZ pilot who decided to buy a finished aircraft rather than build.
I have studied them over the years and have planned (in detail) many aspects of my plane. Retracts have always been on the top of my list. I'm on chapter 6 and I have my gear on order since Feb. I have my Rotary redrive on order. I'm trying to line up my 20B as we speak. The things I won't purchase at this stage of the game would be avionics, fuel, etc. (It doesn't pay to plan ahead in areas where advancing technology works against you.) I am not going to put myself in the position of having my airframe complete and need to put together the cash for the powerplant (or any other big $ item outside of avionics) at that time.

In my estimation the choices are Fixed Gear or Infinity Gear. You can look at other options (like the velocity gear) but what are the real planes using? Answer: Oleo strut.

If the deal goes bad, you can say "I told you so." My money is on the table ........ I'll let you know the moment I have my gear!

Do you like apples?!
I'm also going with the Infinity Oleo strut nose gear.
How do you like them apples???!!
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
Do you like apples?!
I'm also going with the Infinity Oleo strut nose gear.
How do you like them apples???!!
I love those apples! Actually, I've talked to JD several times regarding the struts. But the last was about a year ago. Any more recent news?
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Got Foam?

I spoke with him Tuesday night. I committed to the Oleo Nose Gear at the same time I placed my order for the mains. He has to build one for his plane so he might as well build two right?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I spoke with him Tuesday night. I committed to the Oleo Nose Gear at the same time I placed my order for the mains. He has to build one for his plane so he might as well build two right?
I'll offer you the same (or even better) bet than I made Mr. Parkins, that he lost over 1.5 years ago and never paid up on.

If the Infinity nose strut is __delivered__ by the time you're ready to install it in your airplane (whenever that may be - one, two, five years - I don't care), I'll give you $100. If it's not, you buy me a case of Guinness. That's at least 2:1 odds, right? And if you lose, I'll let you drink one of the beers.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Got Foam?

Deal!
I just wired JD an extra $8k ........... don't want to be losing a bet like that!

But hey, let's make it interesting .......... if I win, you buy me a case of Killian's Red! (I'll let you drink TWO!)
Old 06-21-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Deal!
I just wired JD an extra $8k ........... don't want to be losing a bet like that!
TMann, I am not trying to drive this issue any deeper but I recently spoke with a builder who had to give JD an extra $1,000 on top of the $5,000 in order to get his gear. I honestly wish you luck who knows maybe JD will have an extra set at which time I would gladly hand over my $$$$ as I load the gear in my SUV. Maybe if we keep this post going JD will make certain to get his gear out on time just to prove us wrong.

Its nice to have another builder close to the same point in the build.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Thanks guys, we do our best.
Every now and then something falls through the cracks, AOL decides a customer is spam and we never get back to them, or my ADD kicks in and I'm sure someone has been taken care of. In spite of these missteps all of our customers have been pleasant, patient and happy with the product they have received.
I fell in love with the BD-5 when I was taking my first flying lessons at 18, the BD-5 had just come out. I ordered the information kit then and still have it. I kept dreaming, it was the plane for me but I never seemed to have the time or the resources until I decided one day six years ago I wanted to finally finish up getting my license (yes, still working on it) and it would be nice to build a plane of our own. I was well aware of the fiasco of Jim Bede and fortunately also aware of the faults of the sexy little BD-5.
As Randi and I got going on our Cozy we also became more aware of the abundance of poor examples of business practices in the aviation community so when we started this business we wanted to set our own standards.
Thats partially why there are two sides to our web site, one that is strictly business, it plainly tells you what we have for sale and how much it costs. If it lists a part with a price we do everything we can to maintain it in stock.
The other side of our web site is really just our builders web page plus a lot of other nonsense, but we also get to show you what we are up to, what we are experimnting with and what may eventually come down the pipe and be a product for sale.
Both Randi and I really appreciate your good nature, patience and support.

Now I have to get back to our ailerons.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Bash away, but I will say this, does Nat, Spruce, Garmin, Cleveland, Lycoming etc call you up to see how you are doing with their products? Do any of them call you up when they find that a component they supply has been changed by the manufacturer? Well?

J.D does.

Say what you want but I cannot fault J.D's support of his products. Yup, it take freaking forever to get his gear if you are in the wrong part of the cycle...there I've said it (happy now Dennis?).
I wish J.D. was a little better at projecting and telling prospective customers when they may actually get their gear, that would remove 90% of this chatter from the net.
I have talked extensively with Bill Ortell (sp?) about "Stiletto". Heck of a nice guy, very knowledgeable about aircraft and canards.
You know it had first gen gear in it? it had been run into salt water and from everything I have heard the plane was built by a $@^%#$@@!!! ________ ! (Not wanting to appear too complimentry)
Most of the urban legends about Infinity gear arose from trying to get this exceptionally poorly crafted plane to fly. Once Bill got the craftsmanshipp and rigging issues of the plane sorted out it flew fine and none of it was attributed to anythig to do with the gear. The gear did have to be sent back to JD for upgrading and rebuilding.

I also talked to another pilot of a Cozy with Infinity gear who was diverted at the last minute from one runway to a parallel one, they did not make it to the other runway. They made a 1500 ft high speed crosscountry landing through rough gravel etc. No damage, the strakes did not burst open, the spar was not ripped off, the gear was not torn out..nothing, not even a stress crack in the paint.
...wait for it, I just know somebody is going to say the pilot was just lucky.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
LongEZ-RG

If I was going to post to this topic, it would be word for word what Chrissi said.

Waiter
Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Got Foam?

Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Got Foam?

Just out of curiosity........ I know there has been some discussion in the past about the pros and cons of a steerable nose gear .... Wouldn't a setup like that help if you landed with a frozen caliper on one side or is it already a lost issue at that point?

Has anyone on the forum experienced such a thing?
If so, what is the worst case scenario?
Would a steerable nose have helped?

Just thinking out loud here.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Okay, I apologize for JD bashing. Yes, he does make a nice product I have played with it myself. I would gladly put infinity gear in my plane without a second thought. I'm currently holding out for Chris Esselstyn/velocity gear development I sure hope he comes through as promised.

TMann, I have never landed with a stuck caliper and I don’t want to try it!!! I would imagine that a steerable nose gear wouldn’t have enough effect to counter the pull of the main and either way your going in the ditch.

Yes thats a bananna in my pocket
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM
LongEZ-RG

Frozen Caliper: In this case, a steerable nose wheel would help.

EMERGENCY PROCEDURE - FROZEN CALIPER:

Select the widest runway possible.

Land as far as possible on the side of the runway that favors the good brake.

AFTER TOUCHDOWN, Attempt to lock up the good wheel (MAXIMUM BRAKING EFFORT)

Use full Ailerons to turn away from the frozen side. (reduces weight on the bad side)

Prepare to retract the nose wheel if needed.

FAILED BRAKE PROCEDURE.

Land with the wind coming from the same side as the failed brake. A good strong crosswind is preferred.

The plane will attempt to weather-vane into the wind, use the good brake to hold centerline.

Prepare to retract the nose wheel if needed.

I've used the Failed brake procedure, and didn't need to retract the nose.

Waiter
Old 06-21-2007, 03:35 PM

For anyone interested,
I have spoken with the folks from Velocity at this year's Sun and Fun, and JD at Infinity.
Velocity has an excellent package for their landing gear that adds up to around $4k.
I've got a price sheet with a cost break out that gives approximate costs for each part if anyone's interested.
I need all the help I can get to make a decent landing (oleos) so IMHO I'm going with JD's gear, I'm on his wait list.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

just an observer, but, wht not go with Velocity gear. Seem to cost about the same and lots are installed
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world