Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2005, 02:45 PM

Default First Flight for Aaron!

Well, in a way.

I think I'm going to pilot an aircraft in the air for the first time this weekend, anything I should lookout for? (I know I know- don't fall).
Old 06-16-2005, 02:48 PM
LongEZ-RG

Pointy end goes forward

Good Luck

Waiter
Old 06-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

propellor goes in back, elevator goes in front, cruise at 200 mph
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-16-2005, 04:57 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Ailerons are used to make turns while taxiing.

Make sure you keep a deathgrip on the controls, cause the plane will fall out of the sky if you let go.

Trim is not your friend! If it doesnt want to climb or descend on its own then you dont have it right, real men fight the plane to stay straight and level.

Any turn made under 50 degrees of bank is just wrong and should be avoided... and you must sling the ball to either end of the indicator, do not keep it centered.

Keep both feet on the top of the rudder pedals when you come in for a landing or else the wheels will fall off on landing.

Only sissys do smooth landings, the rest of us slam the nose wheel down due to the above rule.

That about covers it I think.

Oh, and last but not least, do not listen to what I said above. Seriously just go and have fun and relax. It may all seem like a lot at first but once you get a hold of it it is really easy. Remember that there is always more to learn, and that you will make mistakes.. just learn from them. Most of all... enjoy the time in the air... once you have done it once, you will never get your head out of the clouds again.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
Trim is not your friend! If it doesnt want to climb or descend on its own then you dont have it right, real men fight the plane to stay straight and level.
Oh man, I love that.... I had the hardest time with this, to the point that on short final my instructor yanked on the yoke and was astonished to see how much pressure I was holding to keep the nose up.... he burst out with, 'COMEON, this plane has been flying for 25 years, you've got 2 weeks, it knows what it's doing, give it a chance....' as he dialed the trim in
Things started to make sense after that.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
LongEZ-RG

On the other hand, I have a placard on my instrument panel that reads;

"INTENTIONAL STRAIGHT AND LEVEL FLIGHT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED IN THIS AIRCRAFT"

Waiter
Old 06-16-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Hmmmm

With all this valuable instruction I'll leave you with this ...

Good Luck!!!!

Enjoy the flight, you will never forget it.

JOhnZ
Old 06-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Keep the dirty side down.

Avoid hard objects lest they might smite thee.

Remember that you're flying in an unforgiving space. At the top of the space is... space. Don't go there. At the bottom are hard things. Don't go there either. Don't go too far toward the ends of the space you run out of fuel there.

Seriously - this is like taking you're first shot of heroine. Once done, you're hooked. You'll never be the same again. Almost as good as your first....
Enjoy, and come back tomorrow and tell us how it felt. We all forgot.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Wannabe - with plans

"...you're first shot of heroine..." Yes, once your hooked on Wonder Woman or Zena it is hard to give it up.

If it is offered for you to taxi the aircraft, (like my first lightie flight years ago), don't try to steer with the steering wheel-like object in front of you. My mate the pilot let me believe I was steering while he was stepping on the rudder for me...

Don't ask why the clock is stopped and appears to only go up to 10 O'clock.

If you feel you are going to 'blow chunks' keep your eyes outside the aircraft, on the horizon is best. I'm a little prone to airsickness as a passenger, haven't even thought about it flying myself.

I had my first flying lesson on 15MAY and would have been plodding around the circuit yesterday if the weather was better. I wish I'd started years ago. I was put off for years by my inability to handle a PC flight-sim, real aircraft are much easier.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:58 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default Ride or Lesson?

I don't know if you said you were just getting a ride or taking your first lesson.

If it's just a ride, breathe deeply and take as much of the experience in as you want, look down if you feel like it and try not to pay too much attention to the panel. If you can, see if the pilot will allow you to put your hand on the yoke and "float along" as he turns the aircraft and uses the controls. Keep looking out...see if you can spot other planes.

If its a lesson. Relax. Take your time. Don't try to remember everything. When you strap in, pretend you're an airline captain, get the seat just right and snug the seat belt but not too much. Look around and enjoy the ride.

No matter how you do, you will have this goofy grin on your face that will take hours to fade away. A few things may stick, but the biggest thing that you will know .... "I gotta do it AGAIN....SOON!"

Then your transformation will be complete....you'll be one of us!