Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Safety > Accident Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Aubrey T

I can clarify some of the facts about the SQ2000 main landing gear in general and the gear on Paul Lee's plane in particular. Infinity supplied Glassic Composites with the main gear that was on the original factory prototype SQ2000 and several additional gear sets of the same design. These were not the same design as the current Infinity gear. During a harder than normal landing a hydraulic/pneumatic component on the main gear of the prototype SQ2000 failed allowing the oleo strut to compress and causing consequential damage to the aircraft wing. Glassic Composites sent each of the SQ2000 builders a letter indicating that the failure was caused by a design flaw and that upon inspection, some other design flaws were apparent. They recommended against the use of the Infinity supplied gear set. I don't know if any of those gear sets had been delivered to builders. Subsequently, Glassic Composites was forced into bankruptcy and Infinity was an unsecured creditor. I know very little about the court battle for the Glassic assets that ensued. Eventually a new main gear design was created for the SQ2000 that is similar to the Infinity gear only in outward appearance. I've not seen inside one, but Paul described it as a telescoping tube assembly with a coil spring and hydraulic shock absorber inside. This is the main gear that is on Paul Lee's aircraft. So, it is not an Infinity gear set. In addition, Paul has modified the gear in several ways as he has enumerated on his web site.

I spent some time with Paul and his SQ2000 at Oshkosh last summer and again at Sun N Fun the week before the accident. I learned of the accident last Friday during a brief telephone conversation with Stan Montgomery at Advanced Composite Design. Neither Paul nor his wife were injured and the plane is intact, though damaged. Paul told Stan that, in that cross-wind, he
simply did not execute the landing correctly. Paul is a great guy. I'm glad he wasn't hurt.

Advanced Composite Design continues to build and support the SQ2000 kits.

Aubrey
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomp58
Advanced Composite Design continues to build and support the SQ2000 kits.
Do they still manufacture their own Infinity-style landing gear?
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Aubrey T

Yes, the retractable is available. Although, there has been a philosophical change and the fixed gear in the attached photo is the recommended option. It is a robust one piece assembly of formed aluminum with a footprint about 8ft wide. That's me on the left and Stan on the right behind the chain.

Aubrey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2670a.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	2262  
Old 04-27-2006, 02:00 AM

Aubrey,

If you don't mind my asking, what's your relationship to the SQ-2000?

I've always admired the shape and form of the design and would be especially interesting in learning how the traditional EZ systems were adapted to its fuselage.
Plans #000

Old 04-27-2006, 02:03 AM

Is that the standard nose strut? It appears to be AL too.

Very exciting picture of the new fixed gear!

What technical info do you have on it? Any weight savings vs. the composite hoop?

How does it attach to the fuselage? Pictures?
Plans #000