Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Safety > Accident Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
A builder at last.

Default Firefly Sabotaged!

This just came threw today's avweb. This is SICK, SICK, SICK. I hate Vandals, but putting someones life at risk is even worst.

Quote:
A Maryland pilot who hopes to circumnavigate the globe via the two poles says someone apparently poured lacquer thinner into his aircraft's fuel tanks. "This is a hard thing to wrap my mind around," Gus McLeod told the Baltimore Sun. "I can't believe I would be so important that someone would want to hurt me." McLeod told the Sun he left his Firefly, a modified Velocity, outside his hangar one night with a can of laquer thinner on the ground beside it. He found the empty can the next day but apparently didn't suspect the new whereabouts of its contents. On a shakedown flight on Oct. 16, he experienced engine problems and upon landing found yellow goo in the fuel lines. Later tests confirmed the presence of laquer thinner in the fuel and inspection of the fiberglass fuel tank revealed they'd been partially dissolved, resulting in fuel-line blockage. McLeod has since moved the plane to a secure location and hopes to launch his second attempt at circumnavigation in the spring. He got within 1,000 miles of the South Pole on his first attempt last year before airframe ice forced him back. McLeod got in the record books in 2000 when he became the first to fly an open-cockpit biplane to the North Pole.
I think this is the second canard this year with something put in the gas tanks. I think I remember a LEZ or VEZ going down due to mud in the tanks. It was completely destroyed

I'm thinking locking gas tanks will be a must for me.
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 11-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewChaplin

I'm thinking locking gas tanks will be a must for me.
Not intending to highjack the thread... Does anyone have any experience with the following locking gas caps and are they compatible with our Cozy?

http://www.newton-equipment.com/Aero/Aero.htm
Old 11-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I have the FF36L ones from Wicks. The difference between these and the Aero A36L seems to be the 6 screw holes. There's not a lot of room to screw anything into 3/8 foam strakes - you'd have to make hard points. The FF36L caps mount flush with a slight indent for the outer circle and are held in place with flox. They're not cheap, but there are well made.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi Khu
... Does anyone have any experience with the following locking gas caps and are they compatible with our Cozy?

http://www.newton-equipment.com/Aero/Aero.htm
IIRC, the Aero cap is the one (formerly) used, and recommended by, Nat.

Drill down a little deeper and you'll see one made for glassing into a composite fuel tank:

http://www.newton-equipment.com/Aero/A3Types/A36NSH.htm

HTH,
Dale R.