Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Topics too technical for a builder to bother with
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Re: blended think tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Ok so you clipped the wing. I would not and did not do that. I think you have lost main wing lift, especially at high angles of attack.
Maybe, but then maybe not. From the sounds of it, Steve ends up with the same wing area through the halfway point of the blend. Can't say as I would agree with your assessment.
Perhaps some professional help is in order.

Quote:
You have not decided yet as to wether you are putting a flow fence on, if you do not you are losing even more lift at high angles of attack. The place where the boogie man, deep stall, lives.
Right, replace one 90 degree juncture with another one. I could never argue with logic such as that.

Quote:
If I were you I would stop worrying about my implementation as I obviously have competent advisors and would look more closely at yours.
I'm sure that over the next couple of years the NTSB will settle that debate, Heh, heh, heh.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQueeg View Post
Maybe, but then maybe not. From the sounds of it, Steve ends up with the same wing area through the halfway point of the blend. Can't say as I would agree with your assessment.
Perhaps some professional help is in order.
mmmm, well maybe i could just attach my wings at a 45 degree angle and rent a smaller hanger. His wing area is less from half way up the blend on, no lift and diminished in producing lift from the wing to half way up the blend.

Agree on the professional help - thats what I used and would not change the airframe without consulting with one. A real one that takes the time and analyses the entire area for you, not just handing out snide snippets here and there.

Many say that much of the lift is produced by the wing pushing air down, the blend ain't gonna push down.

I've put a lot of thought and retained professionals to do this, not just sit and say, hey i'll just do it, that is not my style.

Do it right or don't do it. safety is always number one.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Ok so you clipped the wing. I would not and did not do that. I think you have lost main wing lift, especially at high angles of attack. You have not decided yet as to wether you are putting a flow fence on, if you do not you are losing even more lift at high angles of attack. The place where the boogie man, deep stall, lives. I know jack got away with it, but his is not a cozy with extended nose and strakes, it is an eracer. Similar but different enough to worry about.

The blend will produce some life, but not as much as the original wing you clipped off and definitely not when you are at high angles of attack.

Laying up the vert stab is going to be tough to keep it straight and true. When we do it on the bench we use the block it was cut from as a clamping caul, putting some weight on it to keep it true as the epoxy cures and shrinks.

I don't know how you are going to do that.

Sorry Steve, I consulted an airplane engineer to design my complete implementation, it is obvious you did not. heh heh heh

If I were you I would stop worrying about my implementation as I obviously have competent advisors and would look more closely at yours.
i have and will continue to talk with thems in the know !
speaking of know... there is a inward cant and a toe-in set in place so the wing vortices's will hit the winglet and create a forward trust with diminishing returns at top speed, but are very helpful at lift off.
will your fence interfear with this lift ? and you now have no toe-in and no cant ? your guy needs to talk to my guy cus us guys need to know
Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

My flow fence will stop air from washing up the blend, decreasing lift, and protect the lower blend lay-ups from a wing dipping and scraping on a bad landing or cause of a wind gust.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
My flow fence will stop air from washing up the blend, decreasing lift, and protect the lower blend lay-ups from a wing dipping and scraping on a bad landing or cause of a wind gust.
it would seam that a guy named withmore got together with Burt to solve a problem with the veryeasy. Burt needed to shorten the wings so Whitcomb came up with the canted airfoil wing let that would take the place of the wing end they removed. i looked at mine tonight and a good guess is its toed in 3 deg (stock) i measured off the 78.6? angle we cut the foam block from,then ran a tape to the cord of the wing let (it was about an inch wider in the rear at the root. ). i don't know how to check the cant until the wing is glassed and removed from the jig.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Well as you sorta clipped the wing and vert stab, you will just have to test fly the rear cg a little extra careful.

As for the 8" less vert stab that could cause less stability.

Since you are going with full length rudders you should have plenty of rudder.

I was chicken and added to the wing and added to the vert stab, so i have extra drag and extra lift and extra vert stab.

Time will tell and of course careful flight testing.
dust

Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Well as you sorta clipped the wing and vert stab, you will just have to test fly the rear cg a little extra careful.

As for the 8" less vert stab that could cause less stability.

Since you are going with full length rudders you should have plenty of rudder.

I was chicken and added to the wing and added to the vert stab, so i have extra drag and extra lift and extra vert stab.

Time will tell and of course careful flight testing.
mine has already been tested with no adverse affect. it turns out, there are the same at jacks
Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

interesting, but that is an eracer, with no lower wingets to begin with
dust