Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2005, 10:45 PM

ok so he had ONE.........but after two trips to the vet it was gone
Old 08-21-2005, 04:55 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
WEST epoxy and microballoons? Mixed dry? And you had no pinholes?
MGS and micro, mixed hot, by hand in small batches and warmed with a heat gun during application. Never once saw a pinhole in it. Are you mixing large batches with a drill, by any chance?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:47 AM

John, you must have self-repairing micro. For the pinholes were noticably there when George and I visited you after Sun N Fun.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Hmmm. Maybe they were there and I just didnt see them. Maybe I sanded them away, or the smoothprime filled them. Maybe the vacationing Virginia gremlins filled them all in for me one night. However it happened, I didn't see any little holes when I primed it.

I once saw a flying plane that had at least 20 pinholes per square inch over the entire gloss finished surface. This plane was built in a cold climate. The builder seemed happy with it and it flew fine, so I kept my mouth shut.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Your smoothprime probably covered them, especially if you rolled it on. After all, that's what smoothprime claims to be good at.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

I can't keep it back any longer. We were doing this on Vari's and Longs in the late 70's. I think it was explained in the early CP's. Before Commador 64.
New?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 PM

Some of us were just finishing up high school. I've been on the various canard lists for 8 years now, and I thought I read most of the CPs. In all those years I've heard only three people talk of filling pinholes before applying the primer.

While you and the previous generation of builders may have known of it, this generation is just now finding out about it.

You're more than welcome to pass along how-to's as you wish for us...newbies.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Rich

In the aerocanard construction disks, they suggest thickening the epoxy with carbosil and then squeeging it on. They further sprinkle free micro on the surface. Then they lightly sand and prime.

anybody try this??
Old 08-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I tried that. Ugh! It might work well once you have it down, but for me it was a nightmare.

Cabosil sets like steel. If you dont get it smoothed off perfectly before cure, those ridges are there for the life of the plane.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Donald James Rise Jr

Default 20 pinholes pr. sq. in.

Ha John, I think I can beat that guy with 20 pinholes pr. sq. in. On my wings anyway. I did not use the raw on the wings I did on the canard. No pinholes there. I am going to fill them at repaint. I have been saying that for the last 15 years. BTW My long has a cat nick name too. Stray Cat.
If you want a paint that lasts. Get some free, out of date stuff a jobber gives you. Wish I knew what the stuff was.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:42 PM

I was finally able to test the entire process on my strakes: pre-fill, big fill, contouring, filling pinholes and scratches, high build primer.

No pinholes on the bottom of either strake!

I have the following to note:

Cory Bird talked about using 5 skim coats. I found that to be too many coats. Even though I scraped the excess off, the skim coats built up to enough of a thickness that it took me quite a bit of work to sand most of it back off. I presume that Cory used five coats because that was what it took to cover scratches left by 36 grit sandpaper. I found it only took 2 coats to cover scratches left by 80 grit.

Several others, including Jeff Russell, have had "one-coat" success by thickening the epoxy with cabosil. If you try this, just ensure you squeegee all excess off the surface. Cabosil epoxy is TUFF to sand off!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 AM

I can't believe it, but it hit 67 degrees here in Virginia last Monday! So I played hooky from work, blasted out to the airport, and skim-coated the fuselage bottom, sides, and lower strake fairings. I had only contoured to 40 grit at this point. I had not yet contoured to 80 grit like I usually do. But I decided to skim-coat anyway and see what happened. I only had time for three coats before blasting off to church for Monday night Bible Study. (Somebody's gotta thank the Lord for blessing us with such warm winter weather!!)

I'm happy to report that three coats were enough to fill the 40 grit scratches, all pinholes, and all but the deepest and biggest of holes and gouges. This raw epoxy finishing technique really, really works. I'd still recommend contouring to 80 grit before skim-coating, but you can also stop at 36-40 grit and be confident that the skim coats will cover adequately.

I did try thickening the epoxy up a bit with cabosil. I've heard of others having one-coat success with lots of cabo, but I was unwilling to mix too much in. Well...I didn't like it. The mixture gets thick and the cabo keeps it from flowing and leveling out. It doesn't flow into pinholes as easily either. You have to work it into holes more than with raw. The raw flows right in with little effort other than squeegeeing. Also, the ridges that form off the squeegee while scraping tend to be more pronounced (higher) than raw, and they take more effort to sand off later.

Oh....cabo makes the epoxy MUCH HARDER to sand off. So I question how much time is really saved with one-coat cabo versus the sanding required afterwards?

So, for me, no thanx. I'm not a one-coat cabo kind of guy. I won't use a cabo mix on horizontal surfaces anywmore. I'll use cabo only in small quantities to keep the raw from running on vertical surfaces.

Last edited by Wayne Hicks : 02-02-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:42 AM
G.Norman

So, you found no problem with the epoxy hardening enough to sand at 67 or less degrees?

I'm using 50-50 fast/slow 285 MGS and it takes at least 24 hours before I can sand it if I turn down the thermostat below 70.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:06 PM

Nope, no problems. The dust gets airborne. it isn't clogging up on the sandpaper. All sure signs that it cured hard enough. That's the beauty of WEST. However, I am going to either post-cure a bit higher under a heat tent or wait for Mother Nature to do it for me before applying the primer. Just to be sure.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:52 PM
G.Norman

Gotcha'. Your plan is to use WEST for micro fill AND the final skim coat.