Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Engine Control - Injection, Ignition Etc.
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default IM

Worked my butt off yesterday and today - got the intake manifold figured out, like everything in aviation, nothing optimum, but it should work.

All the templets are made for the long section of the plenum "18 1/4 and the short section 12" from the plenum to the throttle body.

Used my learning of the of air flow for cooling to create a pressure increasing short section, about a 2 to 1 expansion

had to angle one side forward and the other side backward to clear the engine and on the other side to shorten length so as to not interfere with the prop.

Also made a 5.5 degree templet and a 10 degree templet cause they are so important, inside and outside the plane for correct air flow.

made a cute little wire saw that is only 20 inches long to cut all the pieces with.

Hardest part was marking dissimilar shapes for the wire cutting, used a compass to make the even divisions, and to match drill all the pieces for ease of alignment

The largest piece is the master, just nail it in place, remove the nails and put in the appropriate other piece and cut away, ends up making it simple to cut some crazy shapes and everything is self aligning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 14.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	4228  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 15.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	4229  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 16.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	4230  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 17.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	4231  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 18.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	4232  

Name:	Plane Parts - 19.jpg
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	4233  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 20.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	4234  
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Nothing Fancy, Just Dust's Plane Day

Well, messed around with wire cutting today - meant to get two pieces done that will make up the central body and the throttle body to central body connection - heh heh heh

Went slower than anticipated and almost got one piece done, proble is i made the darn wire saw 3/4 inch too small. The piece i am making is 18, 1/4 and the saw is 19 - 3/4 is plenty - NOT when you have 2 1/4 inchtempletes and Nails with double heads on

Part was still salvagable but when i told my buddy UP and OUT i'm stuck he tried to follow his cut line in - a mistake

Well, in the morning I'll make a 2 inch longer saw and get er done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 24.jpg
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	4237  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 25.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	4238  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 26.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	4239  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 27.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	4240  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 28.jpg
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	4241  

Name:	Plane Parts - 29.jpg
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	4242  
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default Building an intake manifold

Here is the intake manifold pics - tonight i started cutting the templates to make the runners and the 1 3/4 inch blending radiuses

aint hot wire cutting fun
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 36.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	4251  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 37.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	4252  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 38.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	4253  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 39.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	4254  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 40.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	4255  

Name:	Plane Parts - 41.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	4256  
dust

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Here ya go - pics of holes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 42.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	4259  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 43.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	4260  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 46.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	4261  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 48.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	4262  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 50.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	4263  

Name:	Plane Parts - 51.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	4264  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 53.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	4265  
dust

Old 04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Well, last night was great - spent three hours cutting the flanges on the band saw and grinding them on the belt/disk sander. HOT

But i am extremely happy with my ability to form them, they look near perfect. I am making 10 of them and will choose the best 6 for use.

I also forgot to take a water bucket for them to cool so i worked on 4 at a time and set them on a cold surface to cool while i worked on others. Later i talked to my buddy the machinist and asked him at what temp i would screw up the metallurgy - he stated 400F, i did not get anywhere near that hot, just a little hotter than i can handle.

pics tonight

I'm workin on so many areas at once i'm havin trouble keepin them straight
dust

Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

first two - a little tight on the fit and yes - the final ones will have the marks filed and sanded away and the bolt holes will be relieved so an open end wrench can fit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 56.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	4266  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 57.jpg
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	4267  
dust

Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well, here are the holes and the layout and the way to dissipate heat - the killer of sharpness.

Notice the holes in the hole saw area - great at removing chips during the cut, triples the cutting rate.

Can you count the 6 holes i needed to produce 6 parts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 61.jpg
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	4271  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 62.jpg
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	4272  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 63.jpg
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	4273  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 64.jpg
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	4274  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 65.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	4275  

dust

Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Runners and flanges ready for welder, jig has a removable plug to keep runner aligned in hole, hole is undersized

Now to make 16 flanges for runners and 16 flanges with glassing base for fiberglass runners
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 66.jpg
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	4284  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 67.jpg
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	4285  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 68.jpg
Size:	541.0 KB
ID:	4286  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 69.jpg
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	4287  
dust

Old 04-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Well, tonight - 6 flanges ready to take to the airport, cut apart on the band saw and sand to final shape, 2 hours to drill the silly little big hole in the middle. These are to be welded on the runners, they are only 1/4 inch thick, now for the 12 matching ones that are to be set in the fiberglass runners to bolt them together to take the boost pressure at altitude.

It was also guitar night - look at the fit of the tapered neck in the body - he is doin nice work
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 71.jpg
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	4292  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar - 09.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	4293  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar - 12.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	4294  
dust

Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

With al the aluminum work i been doing lately, feels like i am building an aluminum plane with a little bit o glass.

spent about 14 hours over the weekend working on 18, 1/4 inch thick bolting flanges

My buddy brought back the .625 thick main flanges, surfaced both sides and notched for the nuts to fit, filed and sanded them for hours yesterday, 4 done, 2 to go, they look perdy and all the 36 grit belt sander marks are gone.

Makin your own intake manifold is lots of work.

Have not even thought about the fuel rail or the method of attaching it to the tubes, have a plan for the injector bosses though.

Lots of parts
dust

Old 04-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Well - boring as it be here are some pics of the intake manifold aluminum parts i been workin on and on and on and on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 72.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	4309  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 73.jpg
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	4310  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 74.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	4311  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 75.jpg
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	4312  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 76.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	4313  

Name:	Plane Parts - 78.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	4315  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 79.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	4316  
dust

Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

and on and on and on

mmmm too bad the middle pic did not show up - it is quite cool on how to take out 36 grit belt sanding marks and have a smooth surface
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 80.jpg
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	4317  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 81.jpg
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	4318  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 82.jpg
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	4319  
dust

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

ok, going through plane building withdrawals, wed night - guitar night - thurd night - beers with vtail nick

Last night - nightmare - i found a design for fuel injector bosses that hold the injector without the need fora fuel rail. good stuff

only problem - big hole in the middle of aluminum and two small holes to the side - JUST LIKE ALL OF THE FLANGES I HAVE BEEN WORKIN ON FOR WEEKS.

I tire of looking and grinding that shape!

OK, on with it, i'll grind out some more.
dust

Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well - here they are - lookin good, my buddy the welder/fabricator thought a machine shop made em, so did a guy at the airport

got schmart this time- put a 180 grit belt on and the flange edges were easier to clean up than with the 36 grit used for forming.

As the pieces were so small they had to be put in the water often to cool, else my fingers would attempt to do it

nother step done - now they can be welded
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plane Parts - 82.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	4323  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 87.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	4324  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 88.jpg
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	4325  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 90.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	4326  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 91.jpg
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	4327  

Name:	Plane Parts - 92.jpg
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	4328  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 93.jpg
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	4329  
dust

Last edited by Dust : 05-04-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default Building an Intake Manifold

Well, should have started this thread long ago, instead of just putting it into the plane day info.

The manifold is comin along, just bought aluminum injector bosses from racetech - really cool items. Instead of having to sandwich the injectors between a perfectly placed fuel rail in intake runner these items firmly hold the injector in place, much less picky to use in fabricating the manifold.

On a funny note - the guy who sells em asked me if im had room under my cowl for them, i said yeah I'm going to put them on the side of the runner.

mmmmm

he said - wish i had thought of that!

http://www.sdsefi.com/boss22.jpg
http://www.sdsefi.com/newboss12.jpg

available at
http://www.sdsefi.com/

good stufffffffffff
dust