Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2006, 10:57 PM

Default Who is flying in Houston?!?!?

So I'm doing yard work today at my house in Missouri CIty (near the antennas) around 12-1pm and I hear what I Thought was a cessna, I look up to see a beautiful Rutan, with retracts maybe? flying towards Alcoa

who is flying in Houston?
Old 03-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
So I'm doing yard work today at my house in Missouri CIty (near the antennas) around 12-1pm and I hear what I Thought was a cessna, I look up to see a beautiful Rutan, with retracts maybe? flying towards Alcoa

who is flying in Houston?
That's John Kuykendahl... he's a Continental guy flying a one of a kind rutan he bought and has repainted. I believe its a Rutan model 144 or something like that. I've ridden in the back seat of it. Keeps it at AXH. I met him on here, but he's not very active on here.

Looks like a 20-30% oversize long-ez, with a camera nose, over 100 gals of fuel, and a turbocharged continental 360. Has a large oxygen tank and an MBU/Mask assembly for high altitude loitering. Nose gear retracts, the mains do not.

Dave
Old 03-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Bought Plans..Preparing..

Default Not me.....

It wasn't me.... .....I do all my flying over near Jersey Village and Tomball area. When I fly over in your area, I give those 2000' antennas a WIDE path! On another note, I occasionally see a canard type plane fly over my house heading south (toward West Houston or maybe Sugarland?). It makes me so jealous!!

"Watch thine airspeed...least the ground come up and smite thee...."
Old 03-26-2006, 01:16 PM

That could have been John, I only saw him from the back, so maybe I couldn't pickout the landing gear loop against the fuselage.

I remember when he bought that plane he posted some pics, generated alot of excitement, its nice to see it over my head.