Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Determined Builder 98+18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaros
What's the new address, so that we may type it in manually?
I'm really frustrated with the new speeds and idiosyncracies of the forum:
- Images take for ever to load
- The posting form takes even longer to load, if you begin typing as soon as it appears, the software begines searching for the typed in terms, total chaos!
I'm running Opera on a DSL connection, speeds had never been a problem at my end.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me

I just made a couple of changes that "should" make Opera happier without causing other problems. (This should also help Safari)

Opera (some versions) and a couple other browsers won't re-use persistent connections by default if they are left open by the server, so I've changed the persistent connections to time-out after 1 second instead of 15 seconds. That should make a difference. It definitely helps on the startup of the WYSIWYG editor.

I believe there is a user preference to use the persistent connection (or not) in Opera that when enabled can increase your throughput. There may also be an option somethink like "chunked". Make sure it is enabled. (HTTP 1.1, persistent, pipelining, compression)

Compression, if you'll accept it, will help with the bandwidth, not a problem here, but your latency is almost 300ms - so there's a satellite hop happening which really makes it seem slow. Looks like a single hop, probably on the link from Italy which I'm reaching in 74ms.

When all those are enable, combined with a couple changes I've made here, I think you'll find a big change.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

/dan
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 PM

I'm dialup (hey, it's rustic where I live), so can't help much with raw speed tests. But, DNS queries are quite slow. I notice this on initial page requests, I double checked with dnsstuff.com for giggles:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstim...dmt.net&type=A

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.concours.org
Build status: 3 4 5 6 7
Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZG4Me
DNS queries are quite slow.
get yerself some DNS cachin'.. helps a lot. 1ms name lookups instead of 250ms. Makes a big difference when theres six queries in less than a second.

S
Old 09-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I'm dialup (hey, it's rustic where I live), so can't help much with raw speed tests. But, DNS queries are quite slow. I notice this on initial page requests, I double checked with dnsstuff.com for giggles:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canardaviationfor um.dmt.net&type=A

Rick
Cool tool! Hadn't seen "that" one before, but use a couple of others a bunch.

This one IS biased, almost very biased towards the .com TLD servers.

The DNS server triplets handle around 100 domains, in several hierarchies.

Querying the different TLD's show huge differences, even though they're off the same servers. Hmmmm.

It's a geographic thing I think - and preferential servers.

I'll see if it changes anything though!

/dan
Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Builder
Cool tool! Hadn't seen "that" one before, but use a couple of others a bunch.
And they would be?
Quote:
This one IS biased, almost very biased towards the .com TLD servers.
It's not perfect, nothing is really, but I've found it useful. www.dnsreport.com too.

I don't have plans (yet), so can't contribute much to the build. You 'guys' have a most excellent group, if I can contribute one iota as an 'outsider' ...

SteveWrightNZ: I'm dialup, cacheing generally works, but is not an ideal solution for us Dixie cup and string COGluddites. Not to mention cases if domain pointers move and I have my cache TTL set to 2-3-4 days. I do consider it though.

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.concours.org
Build status: 3 4 5 6 7
Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
And they would be?
It's not perfect, nothing is really, but I've found it useful. www.dnsreport.com too.

I don't have plans (yet), so can't contribute much to the build. You 'guys' have a most excellent group, if I can contribute one iota as an 'outsider' ...

SteveWrightNZ: I'm dialup, cacheing generally works, but is not an ideal solution for us Dixie cup and string COGluddites. Not to mention cases if domain pointers move and I have my cache TTL set to 2-3-4 days. I do consider it though.

Rick
I've used dnsreport a bunch. it's quite good, especially with it's speed. And it moves around a bunch, using different .tld servers which gives a great balance.

A cache TTL of 2-3 hours is usually perfect - I wouldn't run more than 6 for a cache due to changes. I'm showing short right now to ensure quick transition of the changes - it was shorted about 2 days before the planned change, and will change back probably Sunday to 18200 TTL - about 6 hours.

Caching - can help a lot, but keeping it small and reasonably short (a few hours) is the best gain.

One of our "big" caches on an "caribbean islands" main internet line caches as much of the web traffic as possible going to the island and keeps around 40 hours tops - ~45G of dynastore - at 24 -30 hours it had a lot of repeat loads, at 60 it kept too many stale pages and got really slow. That was the sweet-spot over the last year or so. Seems to vary by 5-6 hours for where the sweet-spot really is. The DNS cache runs around 7 hours TTL.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:57 AM
It's all Greek to me

It must have been a transitional thing. I was getting pretty frustrated, exited and re-entered the browser, turned the PC off and on, deleted the forum from the bookmarks, I was at the my wit's end. Now, everything seems back to normal, except for the posting form that does take a little longer to load and be ready for typing. However, nothing dramatic once you get used to it.
UFO Builder, thank you for your selfless efforts in the interest of our common good.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me

Last edited by Kumaros : 09-16-2006 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Cozy MkIV #1348

Something weird I just noticed - the last post information on main forum page is really messed up - the first one says last post was Today at 4:19pm by Martink - when I click it, the last post was 9/14/2006 at 4:19pm by Martink (today is 9/21/2006). The next one down says yesterday, but the date is 9/15 (yesterday is the day after today (since today is 9/14 from above)- must be the new math)

Mark
Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Weird times

What time-zone were you in?

I'm not seeing any like that - and the logs don't show any time corrections either.

I'll keep an eye out for it, but let me know if you see more and what thread etc.

/dan