Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: COLOR vs TEMPERATURE

My feeling, if you are going to paint the Styrofoam leading edge or tops other than white, test a sample in the worst possible conditions of the actual paint you are planning to use on a real mockup

Vegas fits the bill

I'm gonna use summer in Scottsdale, AZ
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileEZ View Post
...I guess we'll need someone to make up a piece of foam laminate and paint it flat black and leave it out in the southern sun for, oh say, six months to a year and see what happens.

Anyone in the desert willing to do such a test?
I mentioned my account where I did just this (in the desert). The wing was painted with gray urethane and developed dozens of bubbles under the top (exposed) skin. It was ruined. The sister wing sitting in the shade of the exposed wing experienced no visible deformation/delams.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolamber View Post
I live in Las Vegas. I could put a piece of black painted foam outside for this test. I have a large enough backyard and could find a suitable spot for this experiment.

To really do an experiment that would mean something, lay up a couple of layers of glass over the foam and paint that.

Unless the foam surface is identical to the glass, the heat situation may be quite different than really exists in the structure. Additionally, the heat retention and transmission of the glass will be different than the foam. Additionally additionally, if the foam starts to gassifiy (don't know if it actually does), the results will be different glassed and unglassed.

A composite structure is more than individual things "glued" together It may have different characteristics (physical, thermal) than any of the components.

If we are going to do tests (and notice that I am not volunteering), have our samples as close to the actual structures as possible.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by argoldman View Post
If we are going to do tests (and notice that I am not volunteering), have our samples as close to the actual structures as possible.
I think different paints have different characteristics. In my mind, only a sample of exactly the construction you are using and the exact, complete paint system and exact colors will do.

I think the only two foams we have a problem with are pour foam, which we do not use much of and Styrofoam.

I am worried about my pour foam canard cover/access cover as it has changed shape just siting in the hangar on a bench! i will probably remake it, a day or so job now as it is unfinished and no screw holes are in it
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Hi,

I have now had my flight simulator cockpit thing on the front yard of our house in direct sunlight the whole summer (haven't had much time to work on it) and it is fully styrofoam - glass composite. It is painted as dark grey and it gets terribly hot on a sunny day. It is still in one piece. However, I used cheap spray paint to paint it and the foam has degraded in several places because the solvent have leaked through the glass somewhere.

Next up is training "real" painting on this cockpit (before I screw up with Star's cowling paint like third time again).

Karoliina
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )

Last edited by karoliina : 07-26-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 AM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
I have 4 types of foam in the oven in the kitchen right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
I am worried about my pour foam
Please don't do an oven test on pour foam! If I recall correctly it's a urethane and releases poisonous isocyanates when heated to decomposition
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html