Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 AM
A builder at last.

Default Famous First Foto

Today I picked up 25kG of MGS 235 (about 5-6 gallons) from the distributor on the other side of the city. This is the first official part that will become part of the plane. It was just under $1500AUD. At this current exchange rate that $1350! ouch.

The owner was gone, but one of the kids in the store working on some surfboards helped me load the stuff in the car. So I told him it was somewhat of a tradition to take a picture with the deliveryman with the first shipment. He was like "WHAT?????" "You what me to do what?" I told him I just wanted a picture of him holding the epoxy. He agreed.

So below is the the kid in the surfboard shop delivering to me my shipment of MGS!!!!!!! THE PRE-BUILD OFFICIALLY ENDS...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	4152  
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Famous First Foto

WHAHOOO

now - get to work
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 AM

wowser and wohoo as well
good going bud !
Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
A builder at last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
now - get to work
get to work building what? my stuff is still at the shipping company in California! Actually this weekend I'm going to buy some Australian Hoop Pine and start making the longerons. Hoop Pine is an acceptable local substitute for spruce. It's marginally heavier (IIRC about 15%), but is 1/10th the $$$

...The pre-build concludes...

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

Old 10-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewChaplin View Post
...The pre-build concludes...
Would you quite with the prebuild stuff - u r makin longerons!!!!!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
A builder at last.

I think I'm a builder now.

Today Spodman was kind enough to help me transport my shipment from the Customs Broker to my house. He pulled his trailer, but surprisingly it fit in the back of his car. My car wasn't large enough hold some of the stuff so I asked for his help.

So below is us having a celebratory beer (or two) after loading the stuff into the shop. I'm still flabbergasted that it cost me a total of $1366 USD to ship and clear $2010 worth of aircraft parts.

So, tomorrow will be the first layup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cozy1200-0006sm.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	4153  

Old 11-01-2007, 11:06 AM
A builder at last.

Practice Layup Done!! Doesn't look too bad at this point. I'll have to wait and see how it looks when it's cured. I do know I need to work on keeping the fiber straighter.

Onto the Confidence layup, Nat says to use green foam. I have no Green foam. So what type of foam is used?

I didn't remember to order extra foam/fiberglass for these layups. The picture frame, out of the foam for the NACA, is there enough left so that I can use some, or should I try to track down something else locally?

thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Great practice layups are - the bulkheads - that s what i used and - so did nat

Did not you do confidence lay ups at "plane day"?

on straightening fiber - multiple small adjustments work
dust

Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM
A builder at last.

The practice layup turned out nice, but slightly light at 9.5 oz. No air bubbles present. The top layer is ever so slightly dry and rough. A little bit more epoxy probably would have solved the problem. Live and learn. The dark spots are of no concern, there was a couple pinholes in the plastic. Epoxy soaked threw to the table. A non-Issue because the top had already been waxed.

The confidence layup went well and didn't take much time at all. A few days of curing and I'll be showing off to the neighbors. (and of course receiving strange looks).

Last night I prep the foam, fiberglass, and peelply for the seatback. I was ready to start slapping epoxy today, but it has been raining steadily for the last 24 hours and humidity was over 85%. So no layups today.

I did have a slight (but considerably legitimate) distraction today. The Redbull AirRace world championship round was this weekend in Perth. I had disparately wanted to attended, but was overruled by swmbo. The Australian TV coverage on pretty good with 3 hours each on Saturday and Sunday.

Since I couldn't do the seatback layup, I moved forwards with what I could. I prep the foam for F-28 & F-22. I still need to slightly sand the micro joints and cut the fiberglass. depending on how quickly I do the seatback layup tomorrow, I may do these layups as well.

BTW, The fein sander is amazing!!!

QUESTION????

When I do the seatback layup, should I weigh it down to prevent it from curling when it cures?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cozy1200-0007.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	4159  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cozy1200-0008.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	4160  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cozy1200-0010.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	4161  

Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:

QUESTION????

When I do the seatback layup, should I weigh it down to prevent it from curling when it cures?
i did not have to hold mine, but i did one side then the other
it will tell you when to weight down the parts as you read
Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep - slightly
dust