Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Nothing Fancy, Just Dust's Plane Day

Well, here i am again, two years later, talking to myself and John Slade and now LargePrime, Hi guys. "Plane Day" is Saturday this week and Last week was a ball.

In Attendence

Mike Master Builder
Eric Master Builder

Clifford Metal Man
Me, Dust
Thane had ANOTHER holiday

We took both planes out of the workshop(AKA Garage) and cleaned it up. Cleaning it up included going on hands and knees and scraping the bondo off of the floor. I Think, I think for the last time. Sure is allot easier to put the planes back into the garage, i mean plane factory, when the wings are off.

This time, one is right side up and one is right side down. We prepared one plane for glass on top of the strakes and one for glass on the botttom of the strakes. Sure would be cool to do all of that glass this weekend, i'ii tell you later, better yet, come to "Plane Day" this week and see for yourself.

Arrangements are the same, stay at my home friday night for plane talk and spend an entire plane saturday, nothing fancy, cepting the food.

Stood one plane on end and it now looks like the space shuttle, waaaaaaay better than the old "boat" looking days.

PM me or email me for numbers and directions and as always
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Plane day this week will be on Sunday, on the agenda will be plane building, not barn raising, the holes for the posts have not arrived yet. On the schedule: Two bottom tank strake outside layups and 2 blister layups. Window installation in turtledeck #1 and ????
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

I'm back from Philly.

You can buy holes?
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 05-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur
I'm back from Philly.

You can buy holes?
Yep. Find the right person, pay him some money, go out for supper, and when you return,,,,,, 26 15" holes in the ground 42" deep!!
Old 05-14-2004, 05:09 PM
redesigning every part before build

Oh Holes.... Ya you can buy them too

Old 05-17-2004, 05:53 PM

Default My first plane day

he he it works, i showed up! and so did 3 others. lets see...30 for food,15 for smokes,10 for cleaning hot tub,45 for maid to clean house, 5 for aspirin,and wala.......i got a cool bottom on the boat. ty dust. They had a good time working on it,we started at 1230 am and was done by 3 am, not to bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0702.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	69  
Old 05-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

STEVE, the bottom looks GREAT. Folks, for those of you who don't know, the longeron is used as a guide to carve the corner and you can clearly see from the pic a nice and uniform wood stripe down the middle of the beautiful curve. Good job.

Dam, how do you get night slaves? Great work.
dust

Old 05-23-2004, 05:51 AM

Default night slaves at work

first u have to feed them, promise them smokes when they're done, tell them they look good in epoxy, and u get a side done. They're getting good at it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0725.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	82  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0720.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	83  
Old 05-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Bulkhead templates...

Wow, way to go Steve...
Babes and fast glass...
Sounds like a calendar
Old 05-23-2004, 11:56 PM

Default OSHA standers revisited....

Who knew,the health of all my slaves was at stake. u will be happy to see we all have taken drastic precautions to protect all who work under the rain of the tyrant plane bearer....

(All epoxies were dry in all photo's with the girls)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0731.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	84  
Old 05-24-2004, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Where is the Rolling On The Ground Laughing My Ass off icon, when you need it - ROTGLMAS
dust

Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Bulkhead templates...

Wow, A kinky calendar...
ROFLMAO too
Old 08-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well, we are back in full production and yesterdays was just a fun "plane day" everything went right and everything we wished to get done, was done.

In attendance were me, thane(my plane partner), and Mr. The Flower.

First on the list was remove enlarged fuel blisters from styrafoam forms, this time for reuse as they were not baked by two weeks of sun, went well and are reusable.

next was layup two layers again on bottom of strake to fix what had bubbled from all of us overworking the peel ply, did and done

Then it was on to reinforcing the nose gear bottom area, three layers went on and if mr the flower can down load his cell phone, only camera available, we will ppost pics, we feel good about the first step in our reinforcement plans.

Next was to cut fuel strainer hole and install blisters, did did and dadone.

Dam, it's nice when the day goes well, now on to turtledeck and leak testing, oh yeah, still two blisters to install on the other plane.
dust

Last edited by Dust : 08-09-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Plane day was a pain day for me and dave and a great plane day for thane and lafleur

Morning - brace nose gear on plane 2 like we did on plane 1 last week - ok, a mod that we felt needed to be done, but no real progress

afternoon thane and lafleur - installed and floxed in 8, eight, EIGHT, OCHO, windows in two turtledecks - great day guys

Dave - trimmed out plane barn for building inspection

Me. Well a MOD. A DAM MOD. I don't like the hinge exposed on the canopy so i am shortening front to back of prior hinge positions and going continious stainless.

the problem - hinge is too wide and overlaps your longeron

the solution - fit hinge to curve of longeron. for 2 or so hours i was at gringer with 28" SS hinge grinding, then I thought, hey TRY the bandsaw, maybe that bimetal blade will eat this SS. Well it did. Cut the SS like it was going threw buttah. Cleaned up the cut on grinder and debured the edges. Went to garage, block sanded entire area to set hinge on and it fit perrrrrrrfect

the bit$% - i bought a cheep marine grade SS hinge and it has crappy formed hinge parts, it will not work, have to buy quality hinge this week and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN NEXT WEEK
dust

Old 09-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Give me back the days of big layups, huge hunks and block of foam. Days when you left the plane and it looked like you made progress.

heh heh heh

Haunting words from slader "just wires, pipes and things"

hinge, sticking out at front and back, ugly but EASY.

Spent the last two plane days fabing and installing SS continious hinge instead of two ugly hinge sections sticking out.

buy SS hinge 28"
set on fuselodge and figure where it goes.
Mark with marker to form to the shape of the longeron.
cut on band saw
file with hand file
epoxy in place
wait
drill holes for screws
countersink holes
order SS screws

PIA

The plans hinges are easier by a long shot, cut to length, install

Am i glad I am doing it, yea, but it is a pain.
dust