Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2005, 04:10 PM

Are plane day years like dog years?

MORE COWBELL!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Time for a new thread:

LongEZ N3R - 9 months
Steve Brooks - 18 months
Mark Beduhn - 2 years?
Couple a guys in SF bay area - 2 years
Dan Crueger - 3 years ?
Norm Muzzy - 47 months including 18 month absence
Guy I met last weekend - 4 years
John Slade - 5 years
Mark Zeitlin - 7 years
Brian DeFord - 7 years
Jerry Schneider - 6 fun years
CozyGirrls - ??, shooting for multiple-year Oshkosh Grand Champion with same plane
Dust - 7 years of building pleasure, and who's counting
Wayne Hicks - 7 years but looks like an airplane
Michael LaFleur - finger resting on clock 'start' button

A new LongEz completer - 20 years

Last edited by tnt : 03-11-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

I just ordered materials for the first three chapters today. The clock may start ticking...
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 03-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Cozy #768

6 fun years.
Cozy Plans #768
http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip
Old 03-11-2005, 10:11 PM

Two and a half years.....and it looks like an airplane. Started rigging the controls this week. Wow, things you move that make other things move .

All the best,

Chris
Old 03-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

TNT - are you implying our planes dont look like airplanes - have to bolt the pieces together again and show youuuuuuuusssss
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 03-11-2005, 10:42 PM

Dust, show me a recent pic and I'll tell you what it looks like.

There, a face. And that's it for the next 6 months.

When I build I want to have all the stuff, focus and rush thru it before I get distracted and buy a boat or sit around and wonder what I'm doing with my life.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
and buy a boat or sit around and wonder what I'm doing with my life.

HEY - I resemble that remark!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

plane day - F'n TANK STILL LEAKS - gave up on it for the day.

Worked on fitting canopy and IP cover - found bubbles near hinges - sanded them away and laid up reinforcement

Dave spent the entire day treating aluminum for final install, had a great set up - after cleaning all the tubes - hooked a plastic pipe up next to the sink and hung the various pipes and tubes in it to clean, alum prep, then rinsed in sink, then alodine - boy is he ever sick and tired of doing that job.

Thane worked on final grinding to get rudder travel on the internal belhorns - he has a full 5 inches on all 4 - he was our secret weapon on this task - he felt like he was at work, grinding in a small opening - he is a dentist.

mplafleur brought over a special thingy that you hook up to an antenna to test them. cool digital readout that said our antennas should work just fine, some better than others, but all specced out good.

we also found out what a two meter antenna is. it was in the rst manual, so, we just put it in, heh heh heh - it is for HAM radios.

Then as time has gone by various parts have had flaws, edges on top of the vertical stab that formed bubbles, etc, etc, well - after many tiny 2 x 3 and 3 x 9 etc layups, all are repaired except one that had a flaw on the top AND the bottom of the vertical stab and the trailing edge of the lower winglet.

The day felt really good - lots of progress
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Plane day number ????? heh heh heh - just the 4 of us, NO new blood - again. but probably a good thing - nothing exciting, just plane stuff.

thane and i worked on the canopy - pulled the ip pins with the welding wire attached and - they pulled. cut the canopy from the IP - cut is really bad - it will take a few more hours to spiff up - standard procedure. figured out the sealing arrangement, now that i can see it, 3/16 flat seal in the gap between the front and the IP. The bigger the gap, the easier it is to seal.

Pulled the canopy hinge pin - a real PIA with the IP attached, first and last time to do that.

Riveted the hinges to the IP - really surprising how stiff it is in place - we decided on a 4 inch hinge to hold the center in place so that the IP remains removable without removing the canard cover - thank you brian

Dave worked on the Xenon taxi and landing lights - the lenses are GREAT, we focused the taxi light so it barely touches the canard, brackets are being fabricated by dave - doin a great job

and mike replaced switches for us - the wihlemson gear now has a quality switch on both planes.

Fun had by all

Mikes foam did not arrive - i think waiter not only smelled the foam goin by in the truck - he HIJACKED it. Maybe next week mike can do his first layup on his plane - hope not - heh heh heh, we like the help
dust

Old 04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

exciting plane day! it was different, dave and thane were out of town so it was left up to me. and of course mr lafleur. We spent the day at my woodworking shop makin templets, new and improved.

Improvements, ears - on the centerline top and bottom, router run off ears to allow going past center and no hand trimming after routing.

New in that they are 1.5 inches wider - for a three inch wider bird - a wide body

only one trimming snafu, glad it happened with the templet and not the bulkhead, it will fix just fine.

Plane three is getting underway.

another great "plane day" experience
dust

Old 05-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Yesterday was the most fulfilling "plane day" in a long, long time.

thane, dave, tom, mike and me were there and we, we, well tom and thane put the leading edge on daves planes strakes and made the filler piece, fit really well and i made the canopy forward edge, i think as perfect as i can get it - will know more next week when i pull it apart and inspect.

the planes are lookin goooooooooood

oh yeah - mike worked on his epoxy pump, he will lay up glass soon, or i'll badger him to death, heh heh heh
dust

Old 05-01-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
exciting plane day!Improvements, ears - on the centerline top and bottom, router run off ears to allow going past center and no hand trimming after routing.
I don't understand. Please more words or different words.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:55 AM

He sounds giddy as a school girl...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:39 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Talking What the ???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
exciting plane day!

Improvements, ears - on the centerline top and bottom, router run off ears to allow going past center and no hand trimming after routing.

another great "plane day" experience
It appears that body parts are being lopped off or cut off in the normal course of plane building up in Michigan. I am not sure what sort of barbarians you all purport to be up there, but using a router on one's ears and feeling triumphant over the fact that THIS time no hand trimming was was done ( I am supposing a finger or 2 may have been trimmed off before, perhaps by accident) does not seem to be a "great 'plane day' experience" to me. I thought it was an accident that the dog was run over during the barn raising, or is there a fiendish plot to yet be uncovered? I realize we sacrifice time, money, and a little epoxy whilist building, but must there be "bloodshed" to have a successful plane day?

Or do you mean something else by "ears" and "hand trimming"....

As I tell my Cuban wife quite often: "Splain yourself"!

I'm tellin Nat on you guys!!...it's hard to dial the phone while Im holding my ears with both hands.....