Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Switch on or off
ON 11 61.11%
OFF 7 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2005, 04:06 PM

Bingo.

Do you NEED to fly to the grandparents? No. You can drive in a half a day. That's what you do now. So flight in and of itself is not a prerequisite to making that trip. It's something that's nice to be able to do, but you don't NEED to do it.

BUT, a Cozy will give you an easier trip and more time to spend there, which has great (intangible) value for you that offsets the cost of flying. Presumably you COULD fly commercial, but that has intangible costs in addition to airfare (hassles). There's also the value of flight as recreation.

It all comes down to an economic decision. Cost vs. value.

You are making a decision based on the value of time vs. the cost of transport. If the cost of fuel continues to skyrocket, at some point you are either forced to use more efficient transportation or take fewer trips, simply because you can no longer afford to feed the beast. The cost of flying has outstripped the value you gain from it. Either way, the plane gets less use...and eventually, as costs continue to rise, it makes no sense to own the thing.

That's my point...I think a lot of airplane owners, as well as current and potential builders, are going to start doing the math (if they're not already) and begin to question the value of personal flight in the light of dramatically increased costs. Since builders (presumably) spend less on the non-fuel costs of flying, fuel prices impact them more dramatically because the cost of fuel is a bigger chunk of the budget.

MORE COWBELL!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

adouglas - you are tooooooo good a word crafter - you been talkin yourself outa buildin, from as best i can figger from your posts, for ni on to 20 years now.

THROW THE SWITCH IN THE ON POSITION

heh heh heh
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-04-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
adouglas - you are tooooooo good a word crafter - you been talkin yourself outa buildin, from as best i can figger from your posts, for ni on to 20 years now.
Oh, no, not at all! I'm just hoping somebody will read it, take it to heart, and sell me their partially built project, complete with engine, avionics and everything needed to complete it, for a song!

Seriously, at age 46 I've FINALLY learned not to spend money I don't have (losing my job two years ago while carrying a pile of debt was a bit of a wake-up call). Sure, I'll flip the build switch...once I've got the money in the bank to do it. And sure, I'll fly...once I've got the money in the bank to do *that.* But NOT until then. Flying, you see, will be my reward to myself for becoming entirely debt-free. Credit cards are EVIL. Still got a few thousand to go on the debt, then it's Decision Time. Build? Buy? Which plane? Which engine? etc. etc....

MORE COWBELL!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas
sell me their partially built project, complete with engine, avionics and everything needed to complete it, for a song!
heh heh heh - all builders - you are on notice - adouglas is lookin to buy your project for a song - better keep that switch in the ON position
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-04-2005, 05:50 PM

you will be debt free and 50...siting in the park looking up...going GEE,i wish i had that! that Steve guy sure look like he's having fun,wish i had started when he did cuzz* I'd be done buy now.....................
................time is all we got ..............and at 73 you ain't got lots left for the fun stuff IMO
Old 04-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

My build switch is in the OFF position. OK?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
My build switch is in the OFF position. OK?
But you did flip the "Fly" switch, right?
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Nope. I don't have a switch for that. It's hard wired.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Nope. I don't have a switch for that. It's hard wired.
With a fuse or a circuit breaker, 12 volts or 24? We must know these things! Your build switch may be against aeroelectric standards.

Oh, yes, and a graphical reason as to why you should keep the building switch on for your composite aircraft and not fall back to the tincan following.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
With a fuse or a circuit breaker, 12 volts or 24?
Straight 16 g wire. Been there since I was 16. Not even a fuseable link. Whatever voltage is flowing at the time.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:13 PM

ON. next?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:12 PM
A builder at last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve parkins View Post
ON. next?
Mine is in the ON position, but someone forgot to wire the switch!

or as David Letterman use to say...

"There is no OFF on the genius switch"
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Not me......I didn't forget to wire no switches......I installed my contactors and regulators on my canard buldhead earlier this evening and ran wires to them and some switches per 'lectric Bob's Z-14 drawings.
Progress, progress, progress.

Chris