Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > SQ2000 Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default An SQ2000 builder

I know of one SQ2000 builder. Paul Conner, in Mobile, AL.
From the pictures I've seen, it looks like an interesting airplane. He's installing a Mazda 13B Rotary engine.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:13 PM

Default An SQ2000 builder

John,

There are several builders. Check my homepage http://www.abri.com/sq2000
I have completed mine (well not counting post build "tweaking") and had first test flight June 2. Another recent completion is by a person named Norman I meet at S&F in 2002. But I hear he had an injury while flying with a friend in a Velocity and hasn't flown his SQ2000 yet.

I saw a picture of another highly modified SQ2000 at S&F in central states canard assoc. newsletter. But it may not be registered as a SQ2000.

All in all new models take years before they take hold if they survive. One reason why RV's are popular is that they have been around for decades and built a following.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:25 PM

A lovely bird. Did the new company fold too?
Old 06-08-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
A lovely bird. Did the new company fold too?
If you are refering to KLS Composites, they have been around since original "Glassic Composites" closed in 1997?. Currently KLS Composites is undergoing a name change to "Advanced Composite Design, Inc." - same management, same factory but partnership changes forced a name change. Incorporating it means no need for name changes in future - should have done that in first place.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: An SQ2000 builder

FYI

SQ2000 factory has recently moved their operation from Sale Creek TN to Dayton TN Airport. Their address/phone is

Advanced Composite Design, Inc. (ACD)
936 Purser Rd.
Dayton, TN 37321
Phone: 423-451-0209, Faks: 423-451-0208

For some reason Stan never was swift when it comes to websites and
www.AdvancedCompositeDesign.com still does not have a webpage.

You can get more info at my website
http://www.abri.com/sq2000

BTW. If someone is interested in a SQ2000 kit there are a couple of unfinished ones on TradeAPlane.
More info on my website.

Last edited by PaulL : 07-09-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulL View Post
John,

There are several builders. Check my homepage http://www.abri.com/sq2000
Your website states that you are using an IVO inflight adjustable prop with a franklin 6. I was under the assumption that the IVO props should not be used with a direct drive engine. ??
Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I don't think this is addressed to me, but I can answer it....
The IVO prop is not available for 4 cyl piston engines such as Lycoming, but the 6 cly Franklin is smooth enough that they sell it for that engine with no problems. My hangar mate in FL had one on his Franklin powered Velocity and told me of another Velo with a Franklin 6 that also used an IVO for many hours.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

That is funny, they will sell to a 6 cylinder franklin and not to a 6 banger continental!

Well, Nat did report that his 180 hp franklin did not produce the HP that the 180 hp lycoming did.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-10-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
That is funny, they will sell to a 6 cylinder franklin and not to a 6 banger continental!

Well, Nat did report that his 180 hp franklin did not produce the HP that the 180 hp lycoming did.
Franklin has a built in torque pulse damper (AKA harmonic balancer) in the flywheel.

I believe Nat was comparing the 220hp franklin to the 200hp IO-360 lycoming and he felt that the Franklin did not produce any more hp. I don't recall that he actually measured it with standard measuring devices but rather flight observation, which could be subjective. For example using the same prop for both cases may be poor comparison since the Franklin is a higher RPM engine.

Everybody I know that used the Franklin said that it was a smooth engine. But any six is smoother than a giant four banger VW style engine.

Last edited by PaulL : 07-10-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

yes, he said smooth.

he had a prop made for the 220 franklin, it could not turn it to the rpm specified, he finally put the prop for the lycoming on it and it worked, sort of, did not get the performance out of it that he did on the franklin
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
he had a prop made for the 220 franklin, it could not turn it to the rpm specified, he finally put the prop for the lycoming on it and it worked, sort of, did not get the performance out of it that he did on the franklin
This is incorrect. Go back and read Newsletters #53 through #56 for the correct story on the Franklin installation. Use the COZY mailing list archive:

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozysrch/

search on keyword "Franklin" and from "Puffer", and then look at the "Update on The Franklin" listings from the Newsletters. Especially #56 - with the summary.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'll rely on my memory as he said things to me that at the time he did not want to publish.
dust

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I'll rely on my memory as he said things to me that at the time he did not want to publish.
In deference to John Slade:

Bite my tongue, bite my tongue, bite my tongue. There - that's enough blood now :-).
Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
In deference to John Slade:

Bite my tongue, bite my tongue, bite my tongue. There - that's enough blood now :-).
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Real simple Marc, if you want to read what Nat wrote, read it, if you want to read what he said to me while and after he was doing the install, read it. No need to bite your tongue.

It is no secret that you do not like what Nat told me, replace the glass if i wish with the same weave and add up the weights to make sure you have the same strength (just as he did when he built the cozy 3 from the scrap bin at 3M), make my elevators 3/16 to 1/4 longer front to back, etc., etc.

Did he say something to me different than he wrote, maybe, many people tend to be less critical in writing a news letter than if they were in person or talking on a phone.
dust