Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 07:46 AM

Mike -

Good observations and questions. I believe you will get better answers if you define why you want and how you will use your aircraft.

X-c or local? If x-c, how far? How often will you take 4 passengers? How often 1. How often flying solo? What is the combined weight of those in the a/c? Do you pack light or heavy when going on trips. Were are you going to hanger the aircraft?

Those are function questions. There are more ‘taste’ questions but no one can answer those for you [e.g., low wing may look ‘good’ to you but if you want to fly low and sight see high wing makes that easier].

Here is a recent thread where another with Cozy IV plans was exploring a/c options that you might find interesting:

http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/s...ead.php?t=3211

John

** Edit **

opps, almost forgot... what is your budget?

Last edited by deuskid : 10-23-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 AM

My brother had his first flight two weeks ago in a RV 7A
1. The kit works. He only had three rivits out of 9500 that did not work out exactly
2. All details are exactly reproducable
3. Massive group out there that succeeded.
4. Van has a fantastic support system
5. Many TEST PILOTs to CHOOSE FROM
6. Less left up to the experimenter; and I mean experimenter

Imagine somebody ask Van for help to fly his plane at 22000 feet or to change step access or add afuel tank or change the wing profile or ......
Man, the RV recipe is regimented and successful and... maybe right?

Hennie
Old 10-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Nathan Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennie Engelbrecht View Post
My brother had his first flight two weeks ago in a RV 7A...
1. The kit works...
...RV recipe is regimented and successful and... maybe right?
Yep, everyone will agree with you that these are among the reasons why the RV is so popular. Also I would add that RVs are probably more likely to completed more than most homebuilts.

However...

They will cost more than a comparable Long, Vari, or Cozy. But don't get your knickers in a twist, if you complete the project and fly your RV you are going to be one happy pilot. Who the heck cares if a bunch of people with a plane made of glass think their plane is better than an RV?

Other than that, I think Mike's points 1-5 really say it all.

Paraphrasing someone else on this list, You gotta love what you build
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuskid View Post
Mike -

Good observations and questions. I believe you will get better answers if you define why you want and how you will use your aircraft.
I need two planes.

Plane #1:

X-c aircraft, frequent 1,700 SM jaunts. Most of the flights will be to visit family and will require seating capacity for two adults and three children (more soon). These flights would be once or twice every three months, more frequent as my wife grows accustom to flying with me. It will also require room and weight capacity for baggage, lots of baggage. Lots=a families worth.

I don't think I would be flying solo very often. Right now the combined weight of those in the aircraft is 425 lbs (335 of that is adults) the weight of the children grows all the time. I Will hanger the plane at the municipal airport in Taylor Texas, maybe Georgetown.

See: SixZ

My second plane will be a tail dragger bush plane, like a Sherpa or a Bearhawk.

Last edited by Wapati8 : 10-23-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 PM
builder wannabe

I think the RVs look like Pipers ought to look. Very pretty.

Canards are long-legged elegant beauties that make people go "wow". They look like science-meets-fiction-meets-evolution-meets-xwing-fighter. And thats why I love them.

Everyone has their own selection process, and each to their own, but my own Canard plane will bring tears to my eyes daily, so that's the one I want.

S
Old 10-23-2006, 04:15 PM

It's a conspiracy from Eaa's Sport Aviation Magazine

In the "What Builders are building" section, for every canard you see, you will find at least six RV's.

Actually, you will see six or more RV's than any other type. In every issue

Yah yah, I know the RV is popular but even if we all send in our pictures, nothing would change.

Let's see, six per issue X 12 issues per year x 20 years. Yep thats enough RV's to almost cover a third of the RV population.

With one canard per issue x 12 x 20 , well even if they did show one per issue which they don't, Rough River this year would have covered 30% of the240 over 20 years.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy. I'm all for boycotting sheet aluminum.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glos View Post
It's a conspiracy from Eaa's Sport Aviation Magazine

In the "What Builders are building" section, for every canard you see, you will find at least six RV's.

Actually, you will see six or more RV's than any other type. In every issue

Yah yah, I know the RV is popular but even if we all send in our pictures, nothing would change.

Let's see, six per issue X 12 issues per year x 20 years. Yep thats enough RV's to almost cover a third of the RV population.

With one canard per issue x 12 x 20 , well even if they did show one per issue which they don't, Rough River this year would have covered 30% of the240 over 20 years.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy. I'm all for boycotting sheet aluminum.
Vans is averaging one completion per day, and that rate is only going up!! Seems I have made the RIGHT choice this time!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:32 PM

Hmmmmm, interesting how you determine the "right" choice based on what the pack is doing.

Me, I got the plane I wanted........and because Jana said it was ok

All the best,

Chris
Old 10-24-2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarber View Post
Hmmmmm, interesting how you determine the "right" choice based on what the pack is doing.

Me, I got the plane I wanted........and because Jana said it was ok

All the best,

Chris
My wife has been watching two Cozy MKIV's "grow" for the last seven years, and although was never negative toward the planes, she was always apprehensive towards the size and design. At the beginning of this thread, someone posted a link to a recently completed RV-10. Robin was reading the thread while I was at work and took a look at the pic's of the plane. She was SOOOOO happy after seeing the pics, she called me at work all excited about the new kit we are getting! Thats why I am saying I made the right choice THIS time. If you don't have 100% backing from your partner, your in big trouble. 26 years as a cop, (a job which has one of the highest divorce rate's), and i'm still married to the same girl. I must be doing SOMETHING right!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
My wife has been watching two Cozy MKIV's "grow" for the last seven years, and although was never negative toward the planes, she was always apprehensive towards the size and design. At the beginning of this thread, someone posted a link to a recently completed RV-10. Robin was reading the thread while I was at work and took a look at the pic's of the plane. She was SOOOOO happy after seeing the pics, she called me at work all excited about the new kit we are getting! Thats why I am saying I made the right choice THIS time. If you don't have 100% backing from your partner, your in big trouble. 26 years as a cop, (a job which has one of the highest divorce rate's), and i'm still married to the same girl. I must be doing SOMETHING right!
Dave - for a couple to be together 26 years you BOTH must be doing many things right [my marriage didn't survive mistakes made by both of us]. Sounds to me you've both made good decisions well beyond aircraft type [as have all who are still together regardless of lenght of time] .

John
Old 10-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

RV's look and feel like an airplane

People like what they are used to

That is why the Boing Sonic Cruiser will never go into production, faster, more efficient, but, just does not look right.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

David Clifford-
That is GREAT your wife is finally onboard...man, the lack of that can kill the dream bigtime. I was really happy for Len when he was telling us about Dana's warming up to the whole thing.
And...a BIG congrats to you in your 26 yrs of matrimonial bliss- quite a road....and as has been said, speaks well of your union. Go RV man Go!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Ray V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
At the beginning of this thread, someone posted a link to a recently completed RV-10. Robin was reading the thread while I was at work and took a look at the pic's of the plane. She was SOOOOO happy after seeing the pics, she called me at work all excited about the new kit we are getting!
Yeah. The first time my wife saw my friends RV-10 fuselage, she asked me why I wasn’t building one of those. My friend flew his new RV-10 up to see us last weekend, and she made the same comment.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Default The cockpit view from a 10

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=12478:thumb:
Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

That's pretty awsome dude!!!
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif