Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Just plane stupid comments and conversations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default NON english - english

To those of you who speak english as a second, third or even a fourth language - post away. We kid each other on our poor use of english but to my memory, none have ever done so to one of you.

We all appreciate that this place is somewhere where we can ignore politics and other nastiness and appreciate everyone on a one to one basis.

If you have trouble saying something - we will do our best to help understand you. At worst, we have an official translator and he can translate for you.

Nice how i volunteered your services Kumaros. Skinny Asses, i mean to your health - sorry could not resist
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Nathan Gifford

I agree with Dust. I am very impressed with other builders that can communicate in more than one language. To my way of thinking the fact that they are building an experimental aircraft in a country that makes it difficult to build and fly one deserves as much help as canard community can give.

Write on and build on...
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 PM

-English is not my native language, but I , like all my workmates at Nokia,
use it everyday. In general, English is being teached in school to
everyone here (Finland) and the amount of population who understands English
is relatively high if compared to many other countries.
My work mates are from many countries, it is a multicultural environment where diversity is not a bad thing but a good thing.

I think that yet alone because of Internet, it is quite important to everyone to master English at least at some level, otherwise getting information would be quite impossible. For non-English-speaking person building a Cozy would propably be a task that would never complete because some language skills are needed to understand the plans, required modifications to plans etc. and there is no escape to that since those things do not have localizations for all languages.
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 10-27-2005, 01:53 PM

Mais chais, I'm from the bayous of Louisiana and English ain't my native language either....
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM
It's all Greek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
snipped ...
If you have trouble saying something - we will do our best to help understand you. At worst, we have an official translator and he can translate for you.

Nice how i volunteered your services Kumaros. Skinny Asses, i mean to your health - sorry could not resist
No problem Mike, glad to do it, "bottoms up" to you too
The biggest problem for most of us Europeans, as I see it, is not so much the language as the different systems of measurement. I just hate compound numbers, I wish someone, Uli Wolter maybe? had taken the trouble to convert measurements to metric.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me

Last edited by Kumaros : 10-28-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Wannabe - with plans

Yers a grouse bloke, Dusty me old mate! I'm so proud of this bonza multicultural resource I'm lifting the table.

Good on yer, and thank your mum for the chooks.

Bewdy
Quote:
biggest problem for most of us Europeans, as I see it, is not so much the language as the different systems of measurement
Nat did at least use 'metric' inches so he met us half way! I'll just have to put up with the bolt sizes.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Nathan Gifford

Yes, I wish our country had gone metric a long time ago. It is terrible trying to convert between metric and english systems. Besides that, if we had gone metric I would have ridden several centuries (100 mile bike ride in a day) a long time ago. It also makes it easy to figure out antenna size too.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

any other "enjoy the build" languages from members i don't have - just PM me and I'll add em

Ahchoo - thank you in Lithuanian
Pauldeers - thank you in Latvian
Spaas - thank you in Kurdish
shea she (XIA XIA) thank you in Mandarin
Abrigado thank you in Portuguese
Adaboya - South Sudan (shuk run in north Sudan)
thank you in english

there covered all the continents
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karoliina
In general, English is being teached in school to....
..is being taught...

Only kidding!

To be honest, some of the worst spelling and grammer comes from those of us for whom English is our mother tongue.

Kudos to anybody that has mastered a second or third language because most English speakers don't bother.

My partner can be nattering away in French on the phone and then correct something I say in English in a completely seperate conversation! How the hell does that happen?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: NON english - english

we have member here that visit, read and do not post cause their english is, well, not the best.

we would all like it, wether it has perfect grammar or not, but if anyone wishes, we can moderate the posts of anyone so that a moderator can go into a post before it hits the forum and make the spelling and grammar corrections.

i figure steve parkins might volunteer!
dust

Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
we have member here that visit, read and do not post cause their english is, well, not the best.
Would that some of the regular posters had the same restraint :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
we would all like it, wether it has perfect grammar or not, but if anyone wishes, we can moderate the posts of anyone so that a moderator can go into a post before it hits the forum and make the spelling and grammar corrections.
Breathe deep.... MUST... RESIST... IRONY METER PEGGED... :-).
Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
Breathe deep.... MUST... RESIST... IRONY METER PEGGED... :-).
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM

En español:
Deja subsistencia él inglés del llano aquí. Hay ya manera demasiada interferencia del argot de vadear a través.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
En español:
Deja subsistencia él inglés del llano aquí. Hay ya manera demasiada interferencia del argot de vadear a través.
Or, from babelfish.altavista.com:

"It leaves to subsistence English he of the level one here. Too much interference of the jargon is already way to overcome to traverse."

You know, that fits perfectly :-).
Old 09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

So, Dave, does this mean you are volunteering to help our spanish speaking individuals post.

yo comprendo solomente ciento y cinquenta, mas o menos, parablas por la espaniol. no es bueno to actually translate from one language to another.
dust