Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Small finish nails
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Ohh yeah - and don't forget to wax it with Johnson's paste wax - no silicones - and the epoxy just scrapes off with no damage done after is cures
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-17-2005, 12:52 AM

Finish nails are fine. I like staples or brads. I've used small dabs of glue to good effect, too. DON'T use water-based glues because both MDF and hardboard will warp. Small dabs of 5-minute epoxy work great, too.

Several builders have used plastic tents to good effect to keep things warm. Just some plastic sheeting on some sticks to suspend it will do the job. You're not heating a lot of air space, and you don't need to keep it heated for months. Some of your layups will be pretty big, so a foam box is probably overkill.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 AM
G.Norman

Never used Johnson paste wax. I cut the glass on the masonite (hardboard) then cover it with 4mil plastic like a table cloth when I do the layups. When done, the plastic gets canned. I screwed down the masonite with drywall screws. If it's too damaged I unscrew it and take it to the curb.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

johnsons paste wax is cheeper than plastic. Also we use it to wax parts that we do not want the epoxy to stick to - screws, etc.
dust

Old 11-17-2005, 01:20 PM
G.Norman

Can I use Johnson paste wax it on the table and still cut fiberglass on it without contaminating the glass?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

YEP - we have done it for 7.5 years - buff it as you apply it till is is slick as a
dust

Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM

In the techniques used years ago, I think if you looked at mine you would find, in the epoxy, fragments of tiny wood slivers, ants and any other assortments of insects and spiders, ashes from cigarettes, a lucky penny, general shop dust in micro quanities, crumbs from an assortment of four years worth of sandwitches, evidence of imbedded perspration and oh yeah, somewhere under all of this some glass cloth.

Cumulatively, I think this added exactly 1.00342 Lbs to the empty weight.

I'm sure I forgot something though. What are the other possibilities?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
What are the other possibilities?
Mosquitoes, body sweat, two cat paws and seagull sh
Old 11-17-2005, 10:01 PM
dgeronimos

Finishing nails, a plastic tent and a scale. Rgr.

Will turtle wax work? I have 2 cans of that. Where can I find Mr. Johnson's paste wax?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

if it contains NO silicones it is probably ok, just never want to introduce ANY product into the shop that has silicone, well, maybe caulk, but nothing else with silicone, well, maybe a woman, sorry could not help it
dust

Old 11-17-2005, 10:41 PM

Another tip with the scale usage. In the beginning -- (I still have the problem) judging how much epoxy you will use in a particular layup is a bit difficult which is why the pump is nice. I haven't done this myself, but if I was using a scale, I would consider weighing out a few extra cups of resin/hardener that could be quickly mixed together during a layup so you wouldn't have to waste time weighing things. If you dont use it, pour it back.

Just a thought...
Old 11-18-2005, 12:15 PM
dgeronimos

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrobinson14
Yeah. Don't buy it from AS&S. =) Try www.fiberglasssupply.com or www.airtechonline.com. Both carry "Econo Ply J", which is equivalent to the 1.6oz stuff AS&S sells, but it comes on 60" wide rolls. You can cut your own tapes off of it, and it's a LOT cheaper. The thinner stuff peels off just as well as the 2.7oz, but it goes around curves better.

FiberglassSupply has it for 2.72 a yard if you buy at least 16 yards. AirTech is cheaper (2.32/yd), but only sells 25 yard rolls. I believe both also sell Econo Ply E, the heavier weight, if you want it.
Here is the cost breakdown on peel ply FOR ME:
Econo Ply: $1.63 (without shipping and/or tax) (60" width)
AS&S: $1.91 (64" width with tax)
Airtech: $1.67 (with shipping and tax!)

The heavier stuff:
airtech: $1.73/sq yd (with shipping and tax!)
AS&S:$2.29
fiberflasssupply: $1.70 (without shipping and/or tax)

In conclusion:
Hooray for airtechonline!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:23 PM
A builder at last.

Quote:
(I still have the problem) judging how much epoxy you will use in a particular layup is a bit difficult which is why the pump is nice
I tip someone gave me is to weight the cloth to be used. The epoxy should roughy weight the same at the cloth. I haven't confirmed or tried it.
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 11-18-2005, 01:43 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
Here is the cost breakdown on peel ply FOR ME:
Econo Ply: $1.63 (without shipping and/or tax) (60" width)
AS&S: $1.91 (64" width with tax)
Airtech: $1.67 (with shipping and tax!)
How come I paid $3.20 a yard with online order from AS&S? Is your quote a minimum order or is that the difference from the store price to the mail order. I feel totally ripped off!

By the way..... a couple drywall screws (ala the Wayne Hicks method) mouse poo, ceramic tile dust (fuse used as work bench), magic marker and sharpie marks.

Get the pump! Use it, when done sell it to a newbie! No wasted time, no loss.