Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Turbo Rotary Cozy MKIV

Default First and second flights

So far I've made 2 flight in Cozy MKIV N75CZ. The first flight though short was very exciting. I flew once around the pattern and landed. The temps were on the high side, but it was also 90 degrees outside when I made the flight. That was just last Friday evening.

The second flight was in fornt of several freinds and family. As far as most of them knew, it was the first flight. Before that flight, I removed the thermostat, took about 7 degrees of pitch out of the prop, and fixed the electric trim, which jammed on the first flight, but was only a torque setting set incorrectly.

The second flight was about a half hour, and I basically made 2 loops around the airport, out a little wider than a normal pattern, and about 500 feet above pattern altitude, to stay within gliding distance. The temps were much better. My highest cooant temp was 210 during the climb, but it dropped to about 200 when I leveled out. I did cruise at about 120 knots IAS, and it performed very well. I made a good landing (touchdown), but the approach was pretty ugly. I got a little low on approach, added power, and picked up a little speed in the process. The plane floated for quite a while, and just didn't want to land. Good thing that the airport I fly out of has a 5000" runway. I probably had a little too much flare on it as well, which aided to the problems.

Since that flight, I learned to my dismay, that I was not monitoring oil temperature, and in fact, what I though was oil temperature was actully coolant at a second location. The sensor was located right next to the oil pressure sender, so I ASSUMED it was oil temperature. I was wrong.

It has taken me a while to get that issue straightened out, ans several other issues have cropped up as well, like a starter problem, which has delayed any other flights. Its also been very hot in the mid 90's and humid, which is not ideal flying conditions.

I did have a chance today after getting the starter repaired to retune the engine and do a ground runup. Every thing went very well, and my new found oil temperature was running about 10 degrees behind the coolant temps. I actually assumed that it would be a little higher than the coolant, but at least on the ground it's not. It could be quite different in the air based on my previous flights.

My rotary is not ported, so it should develop about 200 HP with the turbo. So far I have used about 3/4 throttle for take off, manually limiting the boost with the throttle to about 5 lbs. I have a ground adjustable (quick adjust) Ivo Prop 3 bladed prop, 72" in diameter.

So far I've been rotating at 80 knots, which I think is a little higher than I need,. The next flight, I'll rotate at 75 knots, and see how that goes. 80 knots seems very fast, but the Cozy has pretty good ground handling.

Steve Brooks
Old 05-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Welcome, Steve.
Thanks for bring us up to date. There seem to be a lot of rotary pusher enthusiasts on here, and so far all they've had to follow is me. Now we're both working our way through the test period I think we can get some interesting comparisons.

I know you're cooling system is rather different from mine, as is the turbo exhaust outlet and probably the fuel system. I think it would help if you'd describe your installation in more detail.

Both seem to be working, but there's something to be learned from both, and people following can choose the best of what works for their own installations.

Regards,
John
Old 05-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

A big congrats Steve!

Some of us sure are interested in your engine setup. A more detailed explanation would greatly be appreciated. Pictures would be great.

Oh yeah. Welcome aboard!
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 05-27-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Congrats! Tell us more!

Engine details, turbo details, cooling details, We're all on the edge of our seats!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:58 AM

Steve, I'd also like to hear how you worked your project to get it done so quickly. Are you independently wealthy and retired? Did you hire out the work?