Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Spam problem emerging?

User xx1090 registered, then posted three identical messages linking to a suspicious web site. The next day user sheila19621 registered and posted a political piece.

I sent the users an email, then deleted the posts and the users.

Do we have a problem emerging here? Are these just individual kooks who were prepared to go through the email registration, or is there some programmed registration going on?

Thoughts anybody?

Last edited by John Slade : 07-22-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:09 AM

My thoughts on this are, maybe you guys can start a 1 or 2 day delay before being able to post anything for newbies. This would give you time to ping the IP they provide and you can check any sites they link to. I know its more time and work but if they start spamming us it will be a must do or something similar.
Change the rules that any post other than canard relevant related content will be deleted automatic and you only get 2 warnings and your gone for example. Make em jump thru hoops so they dont want to spend the time to do it!
Its real easy now for them to go to the members section and copy and paste everything. My site has a separate page link for webmaster contact and you have to fill it out so as to stop the spammers from getting my e mail addy. I dont post my addy as a link anywhere!
Just my 1 cents worth. I hope it wont turn into a PIA for us
Later
Tom
Old 07-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Nathan Gifford

Well, they copy almost everything when the get registered. However, that's only web links and stuff, but no e-mail addresses. Almost everything but e-mail addresses is available in google. So even with instant registration, what do they gain/what is our risk??

My thought is, I don't and would not have minded one day (or so) registration process. This site is a builder, flyer, and experimenter's website and nothing lost by short delay. Guest users can cruise through until registration is complete. Any legitimate registrant probably would not mind a delay in the registration process either.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Falcon

Algae bloom, pond scum, opportunistic parasites. They're out there, and they're looking for you.

I run a site elsewhere on the net, where I've instituted a couple of policies to serve as a breakwater. First, I accept no account applications from free email addresses. I insist on having some kind of recourse, so I require an address leading me to someone who might care, and who might have the authority to do something about it. Next, all registrations are screened. If I see something obviously out of place in the user application, I follow up, before I permit them access to the rest of the site.

There was a time when the internet was new, and you could reasonably trust that the computer geek on the other side of the keyboard was as starry-eyed about this net, and as principled as you. Not so much, anymore.

The Internet. Now you can meet millions of losers!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:33 PM

We're doing pretty good to have an ocassional interruption. Nathan is correct in that these intruders have limited harvesting ability once registered and our postings are available publicly.

Realizing that you John Slade and Dust are both working and this forum is an extension of their insatiable passion, I'd imagine that instituting a complex screening process will greatly increase their workload. Having said that, I vote for the 'plucking weeds as they emerge' process.

My $0.02
Old 07-22-2006, 01:00 PM

this thread is spam...
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 07-22-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Spam

I think I would start by not letting newbees post for a few days. Most spammers will not wiat and come back. If we still get spammers then we need more hoops to jump threw.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:19 PM
builder wannabe

if its an automated machine/script doing this and not a human, then it will have a purpose - usually to spread a virus. Its not hard to write a script to search for a vbulletin website with google, register on it, and then spam it.. /me looks around, whistles, wanders off..

The same rules apply in general - keep updated, dont click suspicous links, dont get led into discussions on spam, always be on guard.. or, you could just forget all that crap and get some Linux - much easier.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:10 PM

These are new auto register and spam bots. Not difficult to create. Mostly harmless... like junk email designed to boost web site traffic. I looked at the IQ page and no viruses. (I'm still looking for one of the new root kit viruses in case anyone has found a site with one. Say "thanks Sony!")

Oh... and the reason viruses are designed to attack Windows operating systems is that 95% of all computers run Windows. Now that Linux is growing in popularity (especially for firewalls), guess what operating system is seeing the largest growth rate in new viruses?
Old 07-22-2006, 07:24 PM
LongEZ-RG

Captcha - This forum software should support it. Captcha is those difficult to read characters and numbers that you must enter when you register.

This is becoming a serious annoyance at ez.org

Waiter
Old 07-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaleDC
this thread is spam...
<lightbulb> Wow! </lightbulb>

Thanks for the enlightenment, what say ye solution?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi Khu
We're doing pretty good to have an ocassional interruption. Nathan is correct in that these intruders have limited harvesting ability once registered and our postings are available publicly.
Captcha sounds like a solution for dealing with automated intruders without admin overhead.

As for the threat, it's not so much harvesting forum content, but posting links that insert viruses on members 'terminals' when clicked.

Yeah, about doing virus checks, I haven't used that kind of software for about 3 years and try to be extra cautious. But you've gotta know companies producing these tools can be, and probably are, ordered by somebody to provide the capability to tap into your communications and your pc activity and contents. Companies producing all forms of personal communication devices are required by us law to give the us govt that capability with regards to us residents. Having worked in telecom, I've been aware of govt requests for phone data and surveylence of who's calling who so as to build maps of who knows who and who may be involved in whatever activity.

As for Linux, I've had my Linux server infected by a well-known, not open-source, form of web-based media. I could describe the symptoms and debate it with you but I won't. And my life isn't about spending lots of time to de-virus systems.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
As for the threat, it's not so much harvesting forum content, but posting links that insert viruses on members 'terminals' when clicked.
It is foolhardy to visit URLs posted by an unknown. Similarly, would one click on any site or open any executable files from an unknown email source? My point is that these intrusions are harmless, albeit annoying, if one exercise some degree of precaution. Oh yeah, I run on a Mac... but that can also lull one into a sense of false security.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:56 AM
builder wannabe

Default Off Topic - ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleTurtle
Now that Linux is growing in popularity (especially for firewalls), guess what operating system is seeing the largest growth rate in new viruses?
You are correct of course. The biggest problem is noobs running webservers, but they are not that difficult to secure either. Block all outgoing connects does it real well, and use SEL too.

Users' Desktop accounts are a lot harder to crack. I have never seen a virus get into a users' Desktop.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:22 AM
slightly crazy

yeah well for the usual nonsense I have a hardware firewall installed right after my Broadband connection, so number 1 dangers are eliminated. the rest is nothin a good antivirus / internet security program cant take care of

hadn't hat ANY problems with worms, intrusions or anything the like for the last 6 yrs. on WinXP/Linux/MAX OSX ... you name it