Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
Inconel sounded substantial. Maybe somebody in the supply chain to Joe Hull slipped in non-inconel.

What spooked me was when Lynn stated that on the racing circuit they blow out the most expensive and best exhaust systems rather quickly. Nothing handles it.
Mazda offered a 321 stainless and later Inconel racing muffler for the Wankels. These were quite good but still had limited life in racing. It was not just the high EGTs destroying them but the acoustics of the Wankel which in unmuffled form exceeded 130 dB. While the muffler material was capable of operating continuously at 1800F, the high frequency, high applitude exhaust pulses would simply cause fatigue failures. The RX-792P raced in IMSA had a muffler about 1 foot in diameter and 4 feet long to get below IMSA's noise limit. It took up almost one whole sidepod due to its size. There were several bodywork fires and one car burnt to the ground after the muffler ruptured. There is a telling photo here: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/RX-792P.htm

Not sure what Tracy is using now but it would seem if the turbos last, they are a better and more compact solution to noise attenuation than mufflers, especially on PP Wankels which are even louder than traditional port rotaries. The turbo allows lower rpms for lower frictional losses for the same power and of course aid altitude performance.

I attended many road racing and hillclimb events in the '80s and '90s and one of my most memorable (painful) experiences was hearing an unmuffled PP 13B go by me 10 feet away at WOT and 9500 rpm during the Knox Mountain hillclimb in Kelowna BC. High sound levels can cause physical pain as I found out. It felt like someone rammed red hot welding rod into my eardrums! My ribcage felt like someone had thrown a handful of large gravel at it. Impressive, but I put my fingers in my ears when this thing did its next run! And yes, that year, this RX3 took fastest closed wheel (sedan) time up the hill.

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 08-01-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
It's all Greek to me

I don't want to butt into a thread about rotaries that I know so little about, but I cannot resist contrasting the Mazda rotary, needing a foot wide and four feet long muffler just to slide under the noise limit, with the Audi turbodiesel that won the Sebring and the LeMans race this year, that was so quiet, that the drivers could hardly hear the engine running.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 08-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Well kumaros, we gots automotive turbo rotary flyin - we gots a flyin example of the automotive turbo diesel?

would you hurry up with it
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
It's all Greek to me

Yes Mike, we do.
None other than the Mercedes-Benz A-Class 1.7 liter turbodiesel, transformed by Thielert into the Centurion 135HP aviation engine that's conquering the world.
For a flying Mitsubishi DI-D, you'll have to wait a little longer.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 08-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Cozy MkIV #1348

At the price of a Thielert, I'll go with a rotary! Muffler size is not high on my selection criteria.
Get that Mitsubishi going already!
Mark
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM
It's all Greek to me

Mark,
I can feel your pain, Thielert is a boutique, we do our shopping at Walmart or the equivalent thereof.
The reasons I went with the Mitsubishi DI-D turbodiesel, actually a three cylinder smaller brother of the aforementioned Mercedes-Benz four cylinder A-Class engine, were: first price, second fuel efficiency, third quiet running, a very important consideration in Europe with very strict noise regulations, curfews, decibel meters at the airports with heavy fines for noisemakers.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaros
Yes Mike, we do.
transformed by Thielert into the Centurion 135HP aviation engine

Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
mmmm - well, thats almost an auto conversion, but as it is not a "kumaros" conversion it does not count fully - just part way, in my book any ways
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world