Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Very Nice Respirators!!! And CHEAP at That!!

I just ordered two at this price. I plan on painting with external air supply.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MSA-Respiratory-...3 00054620442
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Wannabe - with plans

These look like positive pressure masks from what firefighters breathing apparatus. They may not work just on demand from an outside air source, the air would have to be delivered at pressure. You have reminded me a mate of mine had 3 of these, I'll have to look him up. I hadn't thort of this application for them.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:28 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodman View Post
These look like positive pressure masks from what firefighters breathing apparatus. They may not work just on demand from an outside air source, the air would have to be delivered at pressure. You have reminded me a mate of mine had 3 of these, I'll have to look him up. I hadn't thort of this application for them.
Air compressor, a pressure regulator and some PVC fittings... life is good
Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 PM

Rip out the valve which requires it to be pressure fed. Stick the end of the hose down your, correction, connect the hose to more hose with a simple air pusher. Make a good air leak near the mask so pressure overflow and exhaust has somewhere to go.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 AM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Air compressor, a pressure regulator and some PVC fittings... life is good

Most/many air compressor's air is NOT suitable for breathing... you could poison yourself in very short order and possibly wind up dead
Old 12-01-2006, 01:16 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingmars View Post

Most/many air compressor's air is NOT suitable for breathing... you could poison yourself in very short order and possibly wind up dead
I'll be sure to send my regards to my scuba compressor. What that comes out of an air compressor will poison you?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 AM

Shoot, for painting, just wear a bottle. I wonder what David will do.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:20 AM

We are going to tape off and squirt the bottom when we are done filling and sanding before we flip it back over right side up. These respirators were brought to my attention from the RV forum. There was talk about using a bath fan as the air source. I will have to look into that some more when they arrive here at the factory. Right now i'm busy trying to make space in the shop for four crate's of unknown sizes that weigh in at 756# and will be here Monday.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM

Heres the link for a simple and cheap air supply.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2951/air_supply.html
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
Right now i'm busy trying to make space in the shop for four crate's of unknown sizes that weigh in at 756# and will be here Monday.
Waaaaaahoooooooo!
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 12-01-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
Heres the link for a simple and cheap air supply.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2951/air_supply.html
That's kinda what I had in mind but I don't think a furnace filter is adequate for painting. I too was thinking you don't want to breath from non-scuba compressors.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
That's kinda what I had in mind but I don't think a furnace filter is adequate for painting. I too was thinking you don't want to breath from non-scuba compressors.
I think the idea is more to put the blower outside of the area you are spraying in. The filter is just for dust and such at that point, keep you from getting a bee accelerated at terminal velocity flying at your face.

I have two blowers that were from a plane airconditioning system I was planning on using for this purpose, but I'm nowhere near ready to paint yet, so they will just sit on the shelf for a while.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
I think the idea is more to put the blower outside of the area you are spraying in. The filter is just for dust and such at that point, keep you from getting a bee accelerated at terminal velocity flying at your face.
You're right. I wouldn't want my source air from within my shop or in close proximity downwind.

I did see in the big-blue lumber store, various sized devices for sucking dust from the air and catching it in a large filter bag. Might be good for sanding or sand-blasting times, in addition to a face filter mask. I hate the big lumber stores because I've wasted so much money in them.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Default Dust collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
You're right. I wouldn't want my source air from within my shop or in close proximity downwind.

I did see in the big-blue lumber store, various sized devices for sucking dust from the air and catching it in a large filter bag. Might be good for sanding or sand-blasting times, in addition to a face filter mask. I hate the big lumber stores because I've wasted so much money in them.
I had considered the addition of a shop air-cleaner, especially when I saw a Delta for sale used (but not very much) at about half price.

After thinking about it a bit, I figured that I would rather have the stuff settling onto the ground (and every other vertical and horizontal surface within 25 yards) rather than floating in the air.

I do have a dust collector (and that isn't intended to mean some sort of animal control for forum administrators). I find that the 4" diameter flex-hose being moved all about the shop is a little bit worthless for most applications yet the dust collection bag seems to collect quite a lot of stuff I would not want to be inhaling.

I think the setup that I really want is to build a little lean-to shed on the side of my garage that is well sealed to the wall and water-tight. That shed would house the air-compresser, compressed-air filter/cleaner, shop vac, dust collector, and a bit of storage.

The dust collector and shop vac noise would be outside with the hoses leading in. A vent would connect the garage to the exterior shed through an air filter. All air sucked in to the dust collector or shop vac gets exhausted back into the shop through the air filter. I get about 18-20 more square feet of garage space. I can still listen to the radio while the air compressor, shop vac or dust collector is screaming away.
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddillon View Post
"I do have a dust collector (and that isn't intended to mean some sort of animal control for forum administrators). I find that the 4" diameter flex-hose being moved all about the shop is a little bit worthless for most applications yet the dust collection bag seems to collect quite a lot of stuff I would not want to be inhaling. "
Yeah, what I saw were Delta's. I'd like to collect dust. But perhaps I could make something simple. I've got these three little metal fans from WalChinaMart. And a huge version of the same thing from the orange lumber store. I could take a cardboard box, open one side and put a furnace filter over it, attached by 100mph tape. On the other side cut a circular hole about the diameter of the fan. Sit the fan inside and up to the circular hole, blowing out the hole. Tape the fan base to box bottom. Close & seal with 100mph tape. With 3 fans I could make 3 of these things. That wouldn't be a bad thing to do just to collect some of the dust. Doesn't eliminate the need for a mask though.