Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Default Forum improvement

STOP THE PERSONAL ATTACKS

Stop the useless comments

Personally, I tire of reading them. As most of them are against me, I tire of sloughing them off with humor.

Dave, you made your bed, stop complaining.

Marc, learn how to disagree without personal attacks.

John, well, what can I say, stop attacking me, justifying others poor manners and stop whining.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-16-2007, 10:15 AM

I'm sure you can't see it Dust, I'm sure you disagree, but you just invited 3 more squabbles.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

I see it, felt it was needed, it is what it is
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Marc, learn how to disagree without personal attacks.
Pot, kettle, black. When you call people close minded, in-the-box thinkers (which you obviously intend as an insult) or state that their workmanship sucks, or claim that their methods are useless, what, exactly, would you call that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
I'm sure you can't see it Dust, I'm sure you disagree, but you just invited 3 more squabbles.
Don't be silly. Although Mike is essentially completely isolated in his position(s), it is fairly obvious that he bears absolutely no responsibility for either provoking or continuing any of the discussions that have occurred here lately.

He is right, and _everyone_ else who disagrees with him, no matter what the subject matter or opinion, is wrong. Can't you see that?

You, me, Dave, John - all wrong. Both in matters of fact, theory, testing, and opinion. Get used to it, Tom.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Marc, my attacks on you and others were provoked by attacks on me, but, not justified.

Bad manners are just that, bad manners.

Attack the idea not the peson
dust

Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

My words are not so eloquent and my arguments are not so through to require the fall back to personal attacks.

As far as who agree with me, if it be 0 then what is the problem - 0
dust

Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
Pot, kettle, black.
I like that. It's in politics where lies and bs are the rule. Not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
You, me, Dave, John - all wrong. Both in matters of fact, theory, testing, and opinion. Get used to it, Tom.
You're too kind, some time ago I really reduced discussions on airplane topics with Dust. You guys are doing a swell job and I'm lazy or not always qualified. I try to limit myself to throwing out red flags on things he's said that others need to respond to in order to protect other readers.

You guys do notice that Dust likes to provoke 'discussions'. It's like he's getting payment from advertisers based on a site hit counter.

Last edited by tnt : 02-16-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: too many words
Old 02-16-2007, 01:13 PM

tnt, I'm with you. I have trouble deciphering if a question is being asked (to thereby invite discussions), or if an opinion is being stated (to thereby invite responses for and against). Each one elicits a result. However, the former generally elicits civility. The latter elicits strong opinions (backed up by fact, or not) and often leads to arguments.

I'm not an English major, and being brought up as a Cajun I'm sure I butcher the language enough. But I try to write in complete sentences. I appreciate posts that are written in complete sentences.

I don't like deciphering code ...
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
You guys do notice that Dust likes to provoke 'discussions'. It's like he's getting payment from advertisers based on a site hit counter.
True. But as he's told me it because things sometimes get dry so he tries to pick it up a bit.

Quote:
You mean Steve's posts are not entertaining? Keep it coming Steve.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hicks View Post
Each one elicits a result. However, the former generally elicits civility. The latter elicits strong opinions (backed up by fact, or not) and often leads to arguments.

I'm not an English major, and being brought up as a Cajun I'm sure I butcher the language enough. But I try to write in complete sentences. I appreciate posts that are written in complete sentences.

Yep. As for the code-like posts, I'm not intrigued and just blow them off. 'Like whatever' Junk e-mailers have been doing this in their mail titles for a long time to get you to open them, but then that's intentional.

Quote:
True. But as he's told me it because things sometimes get dry so he tries to pick it up a bit.
Yes, I saw that some of them are to take people away from their real lives and have them while away the hours with him on the online porch. But I can also see that some provocations have a psychological basis. If he can get responses from people who rate, then he also swings at their altitude. Correction, 'then he also tends to rate on that topic'.

Last edited by tnt : 02-16-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Back to square one

Since this is in the Forum Improvement Ideas section, I'll add one. I think some threads need a soundtrack or a theme song. In some of the recent threads, I've had Revelle's Boleros running through my head. The song is supposed to represent perpetual motion, and Revelle went insane. I don't know why that song popped into my head, but there it was.

I wish the forum had some option to tag a sountrack to share with other people.

Yackety Sax could be a substitute, and in some threads, strangely appropriate...

-- Len
-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283
Do you need a customized Flightline Chair?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up

Ah, Revelle's Boleros.....thanks for a big ol' smile based on some great memories of my wayward days of youth back in college with a few select young ladies.....ahhhhhhhhhh....but much more based on Bo Dericks movie "10" than any basis of classical music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levansic View Post
Yackety Sax could be a substitute, and in some threads, strangely appropriate...

-- Len
Yakety Sax also makes a great ring tone. Makes me smile whenever my phone rings. For those who don't know Yakety Sax is the them to another one of my heroes.........Benny Hill. Allen Shepard, Neil Armstrong, Burt Rutan, Benny Hill

On an airplane note, I shold finish my plumbing tomorrow and start to wire up the engine.

All the best,

Chris
Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
based on Bo Dericks movie "10"
I hope you had better luck than Dudley.

Quote:
I shold finish my plumbing tomorrow and start to wire up the engine.
Wahoo! Getting close to noise time,
Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

great article
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070515...uBMYj2QvgE1vAI
dust

Old 05-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Back to square one

I don't know, Dust. Some of your posts would be classified as absolute trolls in some forums and blogs that I belong to. I'm speaking specifically about baiting people to see who bites, or the Don Quixote method of stimulating discussion. Heck, I guess my recent Velocity post could be viewed as a troll, as I was trying to draw out opinions, and I used a few barbs to set the hook.

I really don't see vitriol here. I do see heretical thoughts being debated, but nothing profane. I do see some cases where patience has worn thin and terse, direct, and usually incisive replies are posted. These are responses that are in the interest of community safety. We don't really have a troll problem.

I think the site's fine print to all comers should be to take what information you can find, but remember to pack a big salt lick.

-- Len
-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283
Do you need a customized Flightline Chair?