Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 AM
Wannabe - with plans

Quote:
How To Keep Hostile Jerks From Taking Over Your Online Community
Mostly by not getting in lather if somebody doesn't agree with you. Being more or less still a complete noob I hesitate to reply when somebody posts something that seems like complete bollocks. I rely on those that do know something to indicate relative veracity/sanity/practicality. If they only have time for a , or I'm still grateful.

I know the administators don't like to do it but some deletions of posts that are , with an explanatory pm and their text back to put in a more suitable place may be useful.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodman View Post
I know the administators don't like to do it but some deletions of posts that are , with an explanatory pm and their text back to put in a more suitable place may be useful.
No, they don't mind deleting threads at all.

This thread is completely off-topic as far as canards go and therefore should be deleted. (Although personally, I don't care if it's canard related or not)
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 05-16-2007, 10:16 AM
ChasingMars

Trying to go somewhere constructive on this thread... what about the idea of a "quarrentine" folder in the forums, an area where if deletion is warrented, threads could be moved to. If the forum software supports it, ideally, one could turn off whether quarrentined threads show up in your "new posts" lists, or something like that. That way items that are way off topic, overtly political, or whatever similar criteria for not being in the main areas (and such criteria should be explicit) wouldn't be so much in the "public eye" and so disrupt the flow for those that just don't care, but would still be there for archival purposes.

Just an idea. Generally, for the record, I'm against deletion. I'm also against behaviour that at least acts, smells and tastes like trolling, regardless of whether it is... and the first post of this thread, for what it's worth, smells fishy, if only because it names people. On the other hand, it could be seen as a simple expression of genuinely hurt feelings.
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post
No, they don't mind deleting threads at all.
Current count - Threads: 3,736, Posts: 47,406

We have deleted what, 4 or 5 threads, a few posts? Little exaggeration here mr mike!

Some here have developed a "fan club" of attacking the person, not the idea, it is not a good thing and stifles the amount of information available, simple as that.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Current count - Threads: 3,736, Posts: 47,406

We have deleted what, 4 or 5 threads, a few posts? Little exaggeration here mr mike!

Some here have developed a "fan club" of attacking the person, not the idea, it is not a good thing and stifles the amount of information available, simple as that.
No exaggeration at all. I gave no numbers or alluded to any numbers. Just that it wasn't a problem for admins to delete threads.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Nathan Gifford

Default Make Wiki accept .PPT or ZIP files?

I was trying to upload some .PPT files concerning how to enlarge the TB for the Texas Style canopy only to find out I could not upload the files either as .PPT or .ZIP. It would certainly make life easier if I could do that.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 05-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Nathan - pm ufo builder - I can't figure out how to do it
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

ok, so i use knot instead of not and like to say soooooooooooooooooo, instead of so. dun no instead of don't know. It is just humor, get over it.

Why comment on it. Steves posts drive me nuts and i just chuckle at it. He has a Gr8 way wid words.

It is our attempt at humor.

I am knot here to make money, it is not bidness, it be fun and informative. It is being done with the hope that some chuckle at it, done with good intentions, not to annoy or insult.

For example, my daughters boy friend just did me a favor, he found a pump up spray can of weed killer in the garage, went around the yard and sprayed lots of weeds.

Only problem is it was herbicide and kills and stops anything from growing for a year, i only use it on my 2000 sq feet feet of brick patio. Now i have many, many 1 foot diameter brown spots all over the yard. He worked his butt off tryin to be a nice guy, maybe 100 of these spots.

Am I mad

NO, I'm laughin my buttocks off, he did it with good intentions and i can laugh at the mistake for a year, till weeds grow in and i try to get grass to grow back in. no good deed will go unpunished!

Steve and I are being humorous, if it bugs you, don't read what we have to say, put us on your ignore list. My advice, complain directly (by PM not on the forum) to those that show bad manners, not those that have good intentions.
dust

Old 05-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Understood that no disrespect is intended. The problem is that it simply isn't funny. It wasnt funny the first time. The thousand'th time it's just plane annoying. Add this to the fact that non english speakers are trying to read this stuff all over the world, and it's quite counter productive.

Its a bit like your yard - the first time you can ignore it, or even smile at the mistake. How would you feel if he did it next year... and the year after that .....?

Put it to a vote if you like. How many think this stuff is even vaguely amusing?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
How would you feel if he did it next year... and the year after that .....?
Thats the best part, i used to put different stuff in it at different times of the year.

I did the same thing a coupla years ago

I should have labeled the can, it was like i did it again

just ignor or if you want to reply to my post say "it must be dangerious" cause Dust is suggesting it or doing it or did it
dust

Old 05-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Dreamer

Default The point of view of a non native English speaker

I belong to the team of non native English speakers (it is actually my third language). Those posts that use a very bad English make them very difficult to understand and I often just give up.
I can understand this happening for those who are struggling with English, foreign languages are always difficult. But to do it on purpose thinking that this is fun???
There is a popular saying in Portuguese:
"Pimenta no olhos dos outros é refresco."

Rough translation: "Pepper on other people's eyes is fun."

You might think is funny to see the others struggling to understand a post, but I think it is just RUDE nothing else.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
You might think is funny to see the others struggling to understand a post, but I think it is just RUDE nothing else.
Thank you Dreamer. My point exactly.
Do you get it now, Mike?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:58 PM

Personally, I don't find the off-english rude, offensive or anything like that. Everybody has their schtick, and when you get this many people together, a wide range of personalities, senses of humour, etc. should be expected.

If I can't make sense of a post by scanning over it quickly, I move on. No big deal.

Joe
CozyMKIV plans #1550.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolenek View Post
Personally, I don't find the off-english rude, offensive or anything like that. Everybody has their schtick, and when you get this many people together, a wide range of personalities, senses of humour, etc. should be expected.

If I can't make sense of a post by scanning over it quickly, I move on. No big deal.

Joe
I do the same thing... if I must decipher a post then I just give up but then that defeats the purpose of a forum and it a waste of time for the poster and all readers. There are a few posters that I don't even bother to read any more.

To purposefully foil communication in a forum [the purpose of which is communication] is simply ignorant. Better to be silent than counter-productive.

jmho, ymmv

John
Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolenek View Post
I don't find the off-english rude, offensive or anything like that.
Me neither... I did however wonder for a while if a few people here were just illiterate (and might well have kept that assessment), and where American lexicon/education had gone (but then recognized it was just one or two people over and over)... then when realizing it was intentional, wondered at why someone would deliberately obfuscate their meaning. Now, I mostly just ignore it if it's not reasonably comprehensible.

Which is a shame, because I've come to realize there is knowledge there, but not much effort to communicate it, and a limited amount of time for me to learn new made-up english dialects. So, in the end, someone's contribution is lost to a good fraction of those of us here.

Ah well, their choice.
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html