Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Writing style

Quote:
so u dun want the actuator?.... i dont think i gots one....want 4 to help set/check angle....ifin you like?

It occurs to me that we have quite a few members, and even more readers, for whom English is a second language. Following the discussions and details (and plans) must be hard enough for them without having to interpret stuff like the above. Steve, the main offender, seems to be getting better lately, but I've noticed others doing what seems to be deliberate pigeon talk.

Why? Is this supposed to make the text funny?

I suggest that making an effort to improve our use of English would make the forum more usable and understandable for our overseas friends.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Cozy #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
I suggest that making an effort to improve our use of English would make the forum more usable and understandable for our overseas friends.
I agree wholeheartedly! But, not for just the overseas crowd. I, for one, find it very cumbersome trying to translate the "chat-room" slang... if that's what it is.
Cozy Plans #768
http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip
Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Good point John, I'll try harder
I did not get the 'dun' either

Microsoft has released the Dial-Up Networking (DUN) version 1.4 upgrade for the products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Schneider View Post
I agree wholeheartedly! But, not for just the overseas crowd. I, for one, find it very cumbersome trying to translate the "chat-room" slang... if that's what it is.
For me, the above quote sums it up very well. Here, we are are engaging in a highly specialized form of experimentation on which quite a few lives will ultimately hang in the balance. I applaud John's invitation to write clearly and precisely.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Wannabe - with plans

Butiff no barstd'l ansa wonnay f'koff? Sum kahn toorqs shite t'me I'll farkoffan avabeer sumwa.

(De-striner: Surely such epistles are self-eliminating when uncomprehending readers fail to reply? I certainly have a tolerance level of about one line of yokel-speak before I move on to something more digestible.)

PS. I probably wouldn't understand if I heard them speak either...

PPS. Steve IS trying harder
Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM

Hey! Steve's not the only one I've had to break out the decoder ring to understand.

Last edited by MarbleTurtle : 02-20-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: ... I think there was one other time.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 AM
G.Norman

Is that just the old Brit man asking for proper Queen's English coming out John? Hey, you have to admit some of the stuff like Steve lightens the air. Dust's typing? He'll be the first to tell you his spelling just plain sucks although I think he knows "you" is not spelled "u". Okay, so we're not all Hemingway.

Those damn computer acronyms bug me to death though and I don't feel I need to waste time learning them. I'm game for that hitting the road. It's bad enough getting used to the ever-changing hip-hop slang up here "know what I'm saying"(in between every word or setence).
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 AM

I'm for getting rid of it also. Common abreviations are fine, but when I have to read something over two or three times to understand what is being said, it's a bit too much. I never see this kind of stuff on my other forums.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Lightbulb Style or lack thereof...

It would be a shame for our contributions here to be ignored or discounted because they were presented in such a way as to give the appearance of ignorance or lack of education. Perhaps the reader shouldn't judge, but they do, we all do.
You could say the proof is in the pudding and you would be right, but the pictures we can see here sometimes may be proof of a project in progress, but we can't see the quality or the work of the man (or woman) behind it unless we are actually there watching it. So until then we have to take your "word" for it. That is to say, we are describing our ideas, work, methods, engineering findings and other research using the common medium of printed language (english or as Mark Twain said, "American" which isn't exactly English as John would probably agree), with an occasional picture or WMV file to augment our communication. So, we may be the best builder of all time, but if our posts (the ones with serious or informational content) appear to have come from a "drunken hillbilly" then that may be how the information is valued.
On the other hand, "drunken hillbillys" are a boatload of fun and quite humorous. Obviously, there is a place for fun here too, but the fun should be something other than deciphering someone's hieroglyphics IMHO.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 02-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Skip hit the nail on the head. Cut out the "chat-room" slang and I'd be a happy camper.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Hey, I'm not asking for "Queens English" here. A few typos or misspelling, even bad grammer isn't the problem. We all do that, and the meaning is usually easily understood. What I'm complaining about is absolute lazyiness or, worse, deliberate slang or misspelling in the place of humor. It seems to have largely gone away over the past few days, so hopefully the point got across.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
someone's hieroglyphics IMHO
for instance "IMHO"?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Cozy #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
for instance "IMHO"?
Not at all. That's merely a qualifying abbreviation, (that's been around a LONG time.), and it's being there, or not, doesn't affect the message.

Here's an example:

"If'n u wan, I wull hepya wif da comlikated tings. Fus, u gota neckt da dots."

It's not even "Eubonics". There's a slang/colloquial element in the above which makes it a difficult read.

Took you long enough to "stir the pot", though.
Cozy Plans #768
http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Last edited by Jerry Schneider : 02-26-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
IMHO
in my humble opinion
(or in my honest opinion)
An acronym often used in email, posting, and chat directly before an opinion that may be honest but is rarely humble.

See also: IMO, YMMV
from a google search, love the humor in the definition
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 AM
slightly crazy

well there are those akronyms which should be widely understood by now, and if not, that ONE word can be asked for.

AFAIK (as far as I know)
IMHO (in my humble opinion)
FYI (for your information)

are probably the most known.

Other than that, yes, I am very much for a descent english here. ok, we can forget the it's and its apostrophs an stuff, because they dont really make a difference in understanding, at least as I see it.

but mutilating words doesn't make for anythin, but confusion ifin ya know whada mean