Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Lightbulb Got Motvation?

For those of us on a budget of time and money and families and jobs that take us away from the build (subsequently the switch goes to "off" for awhile), I would like to see a section for "Motivation" to continue the build. If it happened to Rick.......
Maybe success stories and build obstacles overcome. True, we have places on the forum where you can see pictures and flying stories. I'd would like to see an upbeat section where you can go and read about the joys of finishing, even if it's one chapter. Generally what keeps you going and going and going. New ideas and even cool pictures would help, even of projects in progress!
We all need it, even if we're building all of the time.

What say you all?
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 06-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Got Foam?

Default Re: Got Motvation?

Hmmmmmm........I say "GET BACK TO WORK!!!!!"
How's that.

Not a bad idea.
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

That's an idea I can get behind, Clutch!

Finishing the build is all about putting your effort where your mouth is. Are you the kind of person that follows through and gets the job done, whatever it is, or are you a quitter? As you sit in front of your PC reading this, ask yourself "Why am I wasting these 6 minutes? I could be building!"

There are lots of ways to "get motivated", but the best and most effective motivation comes from deep inside. Set achievable short-term goals for yourself, then meet them. Then do it again, and again.....

What do you do with your leisure time? Write it down. Lets say you figure out that you have 20 hours / week when you're not busy earning a living, sleeping or having quality family time. What do you do with it - relax? What the hell is relaxing anyway, other than giving yourself an excuse to do nothing useful? Assign 5 of those hours to building something for the airplane. Every week. Give up that Sunday morning lie-in. You'll be a lot more mentally refreshed after 5 hours building than you will after watching two movies back to back.

What - you have no money? Do the same analysis on your "discretionary income". What do you do with it? Cable TV - $60/month. Automobile lease - $350/month? Buy a used car for $1000. It'll get you there. Put your pride into your airplane building achievement instead of into having nicer furniture. What other "luxury" could you do without to help fund the purchase of the $100 worth of aluminum to make some hardpoints? Make a few hard decisions and dedicate yourself to the cause - or not. But don't hang forever somewhere in the middle just dreaming and not doing.

There are always excuses for not doing something. Catch yourself whenever you think of an excuse, and teach your subconcious to think positive - come up with reasons to do it instead. Write them down every Saturday morning. Excuses not to build on the right side, reasons to build on the left. Now delete the right hand column, get to f...ing work and stop whining.

Here's the guy you have to copy to get that first flight .....

I hope this helps.

PS - Why did I waste this 6 minutes typing instead of flying my Cozy?
Easy - there's a line of thunderstorms coming through CT and it's low IFR all day - otherwise you wouldn't be reading this.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post

As you sit in front of your PC reading this, ask yourself "Why am I wasting these 6 minutes? I could be building!"
Because I am lucky enough to be albe to scan the net while on patrol. Internet access in the patrol car is soooo cool. It even helps in police work

But John, I AGREE completly. Some seem to be more interested in watching another episode of "Gilligan's Island" for the SEVENTH time than be productive. I do have a TV in the hangar, an older big sceen w/ direct TV (havn't hooked up Tivo yet) but it is mostly for the S/O to watch while she is out there (how much Paula Dean, What not to wear, Extreme Makeover and SEX IN THE CITY can one woman watch?....Hell, it keeps her mostly content allowing me to build). I must conceed, I will have Star Treks, Dirty Jobs or Mythbusters (or something simuliar) playing in the background as I build.

We all have the same 24 hours in a day, it is how we choose to use them which varies.

I just sent my ECU and EM back to Tracy Crook at Real World Solutions so he could update both units. I could use this as an excuse to not build...while I waited, but there is so much other productive building that can be done. Also, not working on the engine for a while (hopefuly I wont have to wait for the updates too long) and focusing on other parts of the plane will provide a nice change. I may actually start trying to make some stuff look prettier FWIW.

All the best,

Chris
Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM
LongEZ-RG

Motivation = When I see other builders making progress, and I'm not.

OK, So here's some motivation for yah:

http://www.iflyez.com/Metcalf_Airport_SnapShot.shtml

Performing a Fit check of the wings and cowling.

Waiter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BackYard.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	3767  
Old 06-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter View Post
OK, So here's some motivation for yah:

http://www.iflyez.com/Metcalf_Airport_SnapShot.shtml

Waiter
You just need to move a couple trees to put in your own taxiway!
Cozy Mk IV #1334
Old 06-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Got Motivation?

I was actually talking about having a section here on the forum for motivation, although the suggestions posted are well taken. But they can represent a common reaction to someone else's problem.
You tell them how to fix it. We're guys. That's what we do.
Unfortunately, that doesn't always work.

It's a psyche thing. (Come on you psyche majors, jump in here) Motivation isn't always a product of deductive reasoning.

We each have a certain object of motivation that usually sits in a corner of our mind, and whatever it is, it keeps the idea of finishing and usually flying the finished airplane or a variation of a like theme. Without a slow but steady stream of additional or "reinforcing" thought, the idea can shrivel up and die. Sometimes, it has to be killed when circumstances make it impossible to finish. I am referring to the stimulus that prolongs the thought process that makes us continue, the "motivation".
It just needs reinforced every once in a while.

I know I didn't explain it right, but there it is.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

Old 06-09-2007, 07:16 PM
LongEZ-RG

Quote:
It's a psyche thing. (Come on you psyche majors, jump in here) Motivation isn't always a product of deductive reasoning.
nener nener neeeneer.

I got one and you don't.

nener nener neeeneer.

Clutch, is that a little more in line with what you had in mind?

Waiter
Old 06-09-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter View Post
nener nener neeeneer.

I got one and you don't.

nener nener neeeneer.

Clutch, is that a little more in line with what you had in mind?

Waiter
Uh, yeah! Well kinda...... in a cattle prod kinda way. I had a flashback and had to check for a wedgie.
I guess that works for some...

Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Got Foam?

Clutch.....the trick here is to only obsess about what you have completed and don't think about what you have left to do.

WhoooooHooooo I'm almost done with chapter 5!!!
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Red face Re: Got Motvation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
Clutch.....the trick here is to only obsess about what you have completed and don't think about what you have left to do.

WhoooooHooooo I'm almost done with chapter 5!!!

Oh, I do, I do. I obsess over trivialities in the build, OH YES! But I was talking about other people too. I personally don't need any extra motivation (except that I have warily eyed the "Glass Goose" site and the specs, like looking at another woman or something. Living on a lake makes me do it!) but I figured that some people might need a "fix" every once in a while and it would be nice to have a place to go, instead of searching. John's post was exceptionally good I think - especially for those who already know why the switch is off, but don't want to face the man in the mirror for some reason or other. There are 2 popular motivating tools used by many to get others to act. The cattle prod method and the carrot in front of the donkey method. (or course if you have a "dumb ass" or a "numb ass" neither works!) This is assuming a normal donkey with a desire to eat. I was hoping for more of a carrot approach.

However, after the somewhat mediocre response to the psyche side, and the obvious lack of those who took that schooling, (except for Waiter and TMann who probably have associates degrees in psychology, but, due to being married (hopefully to a woman who [incidently] will make a mockery of the things learned, have forgotten everything and think that "Pavlov's Dogs" are the neighbors' yappy mutts that keep them up all night), I withdraw my proposition due to the lack of well, uh...

Maybe it's just as well the forum remain a "Technical and Practical support" resource.
Maybe trying to help keep someone building when they choose not to as evidenced by word or by deed (or lack thereof) would be intruding and therefore, non of our !%$!$ business!

All right ALL right! Move along, MOVE ALONG! There's nothing to see here, go back to your houses and build your airplanes, go on! Nothing to see here!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:06 PM

mediocre - moderate to inferior in quality
i'm still going to say somthing!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:10 PM

the more of you that dont build....the better i will look at RR
he heh heeh eheheheheheh eheh ehehe
ok, back to your shop steve !
Old 06-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Well, I'm not a "psyche major", but some would say I'm a "major psyche", have not done much plane buildin lately, cause money for completion has been out of sight!

Goot things area happening and it is in the cross hairs. Buildin again! Stopped by the local steel warehouse and got SS for the heated pitot and chrome molly for the engine mount on Sunday, great having a local HUGE chrome molly steel, aircraft aluminum and SS place, even open on Sunday. Is $6.00 a pound for SS a reasonable price? How bout $3.00 a pound for chrome moly?

Saturday, made storage doors for the shelves i made two weeks ago for the hangar. Hangar is finally up and running, now, to get the wings there, they are at the office and find the 6lb Cu foot foam

life is just plane good, hangin at the forum, helps me keep ita goin, plane buildin switch still firmly in the ON position
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 PM

Ah... the motivation Monkey got his banana for today. Yair's Isreali TV story with him flying.

oh yeah.........