Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Just plane stupid comments and conversations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 AM

Default mfryer's blog.

Last Friday I made my first purchase from Aircraft Spruce: a composite practice kit. In addition, with my brothers assistance this weekend, I have constructed a 4x12 work table and fiberglass cabinet.

After completing these I suppose I can consider this an official start to my Long-EZ project.

I have also started a blog to document it: http:\\flyingbackward.blogspot.com

To celebrate the blog I have chosen an avitar. Perhaps some of you know of the silly relevance.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions at this stage of my project.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 AM

Default Re: mfryer's blog.

Good looking shop and looks like you did a nice job on the table! That nice looking floor covering will get trashed after a while but you can replace it when your done. If the shop is any indication as to the quality of your handy work, you will have one sweet looking plane when your done! You build that Kayak?? I got into that also this year and am think of building an Ocean Kayak when I get some spare time. Congratuations on your plunge! Dave
Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

cover the bench with 1/8 hardboard and keep it waxed with non silicone containing pasts wax. epoxy drips will then pop off
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Chapter 4

Quote:
and keep it waxed
You might want to wait on the wax till after Chapter 5... the bondo used to hold the wooden jigs to the table does not stick to a waxed table. The 1/8 inch masonite works well.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Anunson View Post
You might want to wait on the wax till after Chapter 5... the bondo used to hold the wooden jigs to the table does not stick to a waxed table. The 1/8 inch masonite works well.
screw it
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 PM

We had a table in the shop for a while (not my design or build) that had NO leg bracing whatsoever! It was horribly wobbly and unstable. While moving it once, one of the legs snapped like a pencil and everything on it ended up on the floor. I removed the legs and replaced them with something decent. Its gone now and I replaced it with a 12' long table thats as stable as a granite boulder. Nice job mfryer!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Rich

Cover it with 6 mil plastic-- staple to the periphory. Replace when necessary.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The table was a little wobbly, but I added some diagonal bracing and its pretty stiff now.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
dgeronimos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfryer View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The table was a little wobbly, but I added some diagonal bracing and its pretty stiff now.
Wobbly? What kind of beer is that there?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Starting chapter 14 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
cover the bench with 1/8 hardboard and keep it waxed with non silicone containing pasts wax. epoxy drips will then pop off
Don't bother. When my table get too many drips, epoxy crud, markings from previous chapter, ets., I just take the belt sander to it and give it a nice new finish. Seriously. Works great.

Kraig
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeronimos View Post
Wobbly? What kind of beer is that there?
Fish Tail Organic Amber, my favorite. The Fishtale brewery is right in downtown Olympia.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Don't bother. When my table get too many drips, epoxy crud, markings from previous chapter, ets., I just take the belt sander to it and give it a nice new finish. Seriously. Works great.

Kraig
I am not super concerned with the condition of the workbench surface. I could easily replace the whole thing if if got to messed up.

Still I kind of like Dust's suggestion to use a wax if this would reduce the dust generated.

Haha reduce the dust. No pun intended, but not avoided as well.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

You must be an artist with a belt sander cause i am clearly knot. for most people belt sanders leave a gouged nasty surface, when mine was stolen, i did not bother replacing it.

plane building is really hard on work benches, we bondo, screw and cut on them, knot done to most benches. being able to easily pop off epoxy is great, being able to easy tack down a new 1/8 inch hard board surface at will is also great.
dust

Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM

I used some really nice 3/4" plywood as the main top surface. Sanded it pretty smooth and applied a number of polyurethane varnish coats to it. It sure look purdy. On top of that I use two sheets of 1/8" hardboard.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
plane building is really hard on work benches, we bondo, screw and cut on them, knot done to most benches. being able to easily pop off epoxy is great, being able to easy tack down a new 1/8 inch hard board surface at will is also great.
Make or buy another if there's room. The big one for cutting fiberglass and foam, spreading epoxy (the pre-epoxy method), etc. The small durable one (with a vise) for metal parts, mixing epoxy, cutting/sanding wood, nasty abusive stuff.

Gotta' try that wax some day. Still d/a sanding all those epoxy lumps (when I forget to wipe it off). Still got original masonite (hardboard) though.