Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Chapter 19 and 23

Default Intercooler mounting?

John,

As I remember you have an turbo & intercooler from an 89 - 91 model car, that's the same engine I have! My intercooler has several(5) bolts holding it down onto the engine via 3 brackets. Hearing your situation maybe you are blowing the intercooler up off the hoses? How do you have it mounted down? I can send photos of my brackets and mounting position. Be glad to help any way I can.

Bob
Old 05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Chapter 19 and 23

Default Intercooler

John,

Just saw a pict of your finished engine on your site and your intercooler appears mounted under the engine. The way mazda mounts theirs won't be any help to you. Sorry!! Guess that's what they call the learning curve any you get to be our leader or is it fall guy?

Bob
Old 05-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
you get to be our leader or is it fall guy?
I think it's fall guy

It is the turbo from a '91, but it's the engine and intercooler from a '93.
The intercooler is on the port side toward the wing root. You were probably looking at the rad which is under the engine. You make a good point about the mounting. I hadnt thought of that. The stock mounts wont help, but maybe I could tie it down better. It's mainly held in place by the hoses. However, it's very firm when connected. I really think I know what the (current) problem is. It was one of those things you know you need to fix, but didn't. I need the pipes to fit correctly butting up to the join, rather than under strain to get them to fit. Simple fix really. I'll also add some welded beads on the ends of the pipes for better grip.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:53 PM

My turn,
John, some piece of paper from Bruce T. talks about operating with "1 ounce TCW III oil per gallon of fuel (premix)" Do you do anything like that?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Absolutely. Every flying rotary I know of does, and all the race guys do this too. There is an injection pump made by Richard Sohn that has its own reservoir of 2 stroke oil, but I figured why spend the money and add the complexity when Tracy's already proved that premix works. I guess Mazda couldn't see people buying a "2 stroke" sport car so the stock engine injects sump oil on the seals. This causes coking on the rotors and housings after a while.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Here's a picture I got of your turbo. Maybe this'll help the other readers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slades Turbo2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	8  
Old 05-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Good shot. You can see the elbow that came off in "flight 4 - almost". Do you have one of the other side showing the intercooler mounting & connections?

I've got to get a better camera.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Ask and ye shall receive!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Left Side Engine.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	9  Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side Intercooler.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	10  
Old 05-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thanks, Mike.
As you can see, the intercooler is attached to the duct with RTV. That's one secure attachment. I know, because I had to undo it once and it took 1/2 hr. with a knife and a screwdriver. We put the vortilons on with RTV and its very tuff stuff. (try knocking them off with your head and your back - I have, and I have the scars to prove it ). The duct is fairly secure, so the intercooler is basically held in place by the duct and the two pipes. I don't think it can move due to pressure in the system. Pipe length and curvature is what needs to be fixed.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default Radio...?? Antenna?

I was going to suggest using a standing wave meter on your antenna to see if it is tuned or shaped correctly. I happen to know your cable is 50 ohm to the antenna, but the antenna may be the wrong wave length co effiecient.

Kevin.

(cncdoc never got in, I didn't get authorized, so I disguised myself and came in with my pals; Spinner and Paddlefoot.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
using a standing wave meter on your antenna
Do you happen to have one of these puppies, Kevin?
Quote:
the antenna may be the wrong wave length co effiecient.
I think it's right. I followed Jim Weir's plans. I have two joins in the antenna lead. One at the wingtip and one in the spar. I'll check these first.

Turbo pipes should be done today.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:25 AM

Default But of course....

An amatuer radio operator without a SWR (standing wave ratio) bridge? That's like an Englishman without tea and a stiff upper lip!
I have one that operates in the VHF band and oddly enough, I will be in your area Wednesday and/or Thursday. I will bring the TDR (time domain reflectometer) as well, just in case there may be a cable problem.

If the SWR is less than 1.5 to 1, then the antenna is ok, but I would look at the possibility of squelch/noise attenuation in either the radio or intercom system after that. The newer radios (with ICs) dont have a user adjustable squelch, but the intercom has one that gives priority to crew or radios and usually is adjustable. With the low noise level in your cockpit, I wouldn't think that would be the problem. However, since it has a knob, I cite Newton's little known 5th law of motion: " Any knob not in motion, will remain in the correct postion unless acted upon by an unequal outside force which tends to change the correct position to furthest distance travel from the most useable one". Murphy commented: " An adjustment knob will only be out of position relative to it's importance, the greater it's importance, the more out of position it is apt to be" Of course, the difference is how you say it: Murphy's is in a heavy Irish accent

I hope this helps. (one way or another)
Old 05-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
like an Englishman without tea and a stiff upper lip!
That would be me.

I dont think the squeltch knob is the problem since I've tried it with and without the intercom bypass, but Murphy has a winter home down by beach here, so I expect he's involved. I'm hoping he'll head back up north soon with the rest of the snowbirds.

Bring on the testing gear. Call me when you're in the area.

By the way - I fixed your cncdoc ID, so you should be able to use it now.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:11 AM

Default thanks and a tip of the hat...

You're on....

I dunno about going back to my alter ego which describes my work, Clutch Cargo was a bush pilot cartoon character circa 1960 ish. It was one of those still frame cartoons where only the lips moved. It started out with bongo music. Anyone who has seen more than one of these cartoon episodes and can remember what they were like, not only predates themselves, but also comments on a poor local TV programming agenda and a listless childhood. I discovered matches during one of the cartoons and came close to burning up the closet I was sitting in...The "warm" experience didn't hold a candle to the warmth of my backside when my parents examined the scientific evidence of my experimentation.
After that I was content to sit and watch TV (on my knees or prone) during my scientific urges. So I became more acquainted with the Clutch Cargo series and enamored with the idea of becoming a pilot someday (which I did 15 years later) and although I no longer "play" with matches (I am an adult If I strike matches for no apparent reason watching them burn out, I am not playing with matches!), my scientific urges have led me down other paths. One of these paths will place my oft-warmed behind in a flying machine of my own construction.
So, the Clutch Cargo thing is life going full circle.
I just I hope I don't get dizzy............
Old 05-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default 96PM returns safely with no airborne failure

I think this is a first! Nothing went wrong, and I didn't break anything.

I flew for about 0.8hrs this morning. A write up (with pictures this time) is at http://canardaviation.com/cozy/chap29.htm#flight5
for your enjoyment.

By the way, I forgot to mention - the GPS says I hit 170 kts today. I didnt touch the turbo wastegate lever the whole flight, and I never went past 3/4 throttle. I think my ASI must be reading low.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	May06007.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	44  Click image for larger version

Name:	May06008.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	45  

Last edited by John Slade : 05-06-2004 at 05:42 PM.