Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Juggling 3-1/2 projects

John,
This is a test reply to your test flight thread. I can't reply with Netscape.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Juggling 3-1/2 projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
I think it's fall guy
OK. It definitely doesn't work with Netscape.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Jim, i've taken a secret poll, and the vote is in, you should use netscape.

heh heh heh

Well the vbulletin guys say it is compatable, my sugestion, buy a mac and use safari
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Wait a minute - let me see if I have this right.

We can say whatever we like about Jim, he can read it, but he can't fight back. Is that right?

That's simply not fair.

He'd be the butt of all the jokes, but wouldn't be able to get his own back.

Oh wow!
Who's gonna go first???

Old 05-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Cool 5000 ft AGL?

Flight # 7 took place early this morning. There's a full (4 page) write-up on my web site at the end of chapter 29. Here's a quick synopsis:

No more turbo pipe problems. Lots of uncommanded boost. 0.8 hrs added. Everything went well for the first 35 minutes, then I think I may have experienced my first case of the famous Attention Getting Lag (AGL) that Ed, Tracy and Perry often talk about. This is where the plugs get weak and the power cuts back. I did another precautionary landing. After landing the power was back to normal. Go figure. I will.

Just for once - I'd like to have the opportunity to land this thing with the option to go around if I get it wrong.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:59 AM

John, reading thru your write-up and I have one quick comment. If your INDICATED airspeed at 5000ft doesn't differ, isn't lower, that what the GPS says, you have an instrument error. Try doing a TAS calculation.

2) What engine control outputs does the EMC2 have? What can it putz with besides mixture?

Glad I could be helpful. Enough points and I get a ride.

Last edited by tnt : 05-31-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Now where's that old slide rule thingamagig when you need it?......
Anyone got one handy. I'd guess outside temp was about 70 at 5000.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:35 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default whatever goes up...

Hey John,
The early bird gets the worm eh? 95+ degrees and a sunburn later...

I was wondering if the controller could hear the radio with some static, in and out, or if your audio level was really low.
It could just be matching the mike gain to your headset or it could be the connections to com antenna #1 are not good.
I will be in the area tomorrow or Wednesday, maybe I could grab a (working) field strength meter and check it out.

Sorry to hear about the engine snafu. 3800 RPM is not very fast for a rotary, you were probably developing less than 100 hp. It almost sounds like the plugs were fouling from too rich of a mixture. I wouldn't think it would be timing or fuel starvation. But that's just a guess from reading the story. Of course there could be something blocking the intercooler and making a half open throttle plate..

See ya later..
Old 06-01-2004, 04:18 AM

Hi John,
I hadn't checked your site for a while, I see most of what I asked is already there, and that you have difficulties.

Have you considered a club prop? Did Dust ever find one?

I'd even be tempted to build an engine mount on the back of an old pick up truck, and really test it and set it up properly.
Might be good fun too.

Are the air gauges / sensors all talking the same lingo? Working in absolute seems essential, as internal/external ratios vary with altitude.

Good luck Gremlin hunting

Cheers
Adam
Old 06-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I don't think I'm seeing anything particularly unusual. It's just a matter of working though the issues. Ed Anderson took a year to fly off his 40 hours, and Tracy Crook says he loved flying his Mazda...after the first six months.

Quote:
Have you considered a club prop?
Nah. Take-off power would be way down.

Just as ground running doesnt duplicate flying, the pick-up truck scheme doesnt really duplicate the airplane. For example, lets say yesterdays rough running was a loose plug lead, or overheated coils, or restricted input air to the turbo. Hopefully I'll find something when I take the cowl off today.

I definately need more information. I think I'll get an EM2. I only have one "air gauge" It reads boost in inches of mercury with ambient in the middle.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:37 PM

That's a shame John, I was hoping to see a picture of a lowered 74' Hilux making 150 mph with a rotary on full boost up back pushing it along.

I don't know what sort of fuel injection you have, but I've seen several hi po race cars with Motec engine management. You can plug in a laptop and change settings as you go, or record the run and analyse later.
The crew chief of the CAT racing truck said he asks the driver what power he wants today, and then punches it into the laptop.
http://www.motec.com/home.htm

Best of Luck
Adam
Old 06-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
a lowered 74' Hilux making 150 mph
We could do that. Wanna be the test pilot? I sure don't.

I have an EC2 from http://rotaryaviation.com Lots of other wanklers are using this unit with good results. I hate to abandon the investment and start from scratch on this. Also, I wonder how well the automotive ECUs cope with altitude.

I'm trying to discover what caused the power loss during my last flight. There was some black "gum" on the prop. Has anyone seen this before? I'm beginning to suspect that I was running on one set of plugs, but restricted fuel flow has also been suggested.

Anyone who's inclined to apply their knowledge & experience to this, please take a look at:

http://canardaviation.com/cozy/chap29.htm#diagnostics

Suggestions and thoughts welcome, as always.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:15 PM

Please enter me into the June "what's wrong with my engine" competition. I'm NOT an engine guy but I do lots of debugging and blue-skying.

Ok, my first thought was an over-rich mixuture. After carefully rereading your write-up, I think there is something else/additional going on. I'm thinking your turbo again.

Follow me on this:
> 50MAP?
> 1600 degree temp?
> Then you couldn't get above 3800RPM, when your turbo failed earlier you couldn't get it above 3500RPM?
> Odd loose condition of the turbo wheel now?

I wonder, did your turbo temporarily freeze, sieze, or hang? Then after the engine cooled and your "take that, runway" landing, it un-hung. And then for the black stuff, could be unburnt fuel or perhaps OIL? I was surprised to see you don't have an EMC2 monitor. Bad monkey.

Ok, that's one of my entries, how many do we get?

Is this a new turbo wheel in the same ole housing?

Tom
Old 06-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

>Please enter me into the June "what's wrong with my engine" competition.
OK. You're in. Winner gets a ride in a smooth running turbo rotary Cozy.

>I wonder, did your turbo temporarily freeze, sieze, or hang?
I follow you're logic, but there are 2 additional facts that have a "bearing" on this:

1. After touchdown, the performance improved only when I changed the mixture.

2. I'm told that the turbo runs on an oil pressure film, and a little side to side slop is normal. Just no end to end slop. I'll check that in the morning.

>Ok, that's one of my entries, how many do we get?
unlimited

>Is this a new turbo wheel in the same ole housing?
replacement used turbo removed from an RV3 with 10 hrs on it.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

I checked with ALL of the aviation experts at the airport and got a unanimous opinion, knew right what the problem was after they read the post, BOY, you got a car engine in that thar airplane!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world