Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2004, 10:45 PM

I'll step up for the test pilot job, lots of straight country roads out here, 5am, Sunday, wake up the neighbours. Some one would have to be strapped to the roof to monitor for faults.

Back to Business
OK Sorry if I state the bleedin obvious, but first what could be wrong

1. Manifold Pressure :: Turbo, wastegate, throttle, hoses, intercooler, blow off valve, sensors, control unit.
2. FUEL :: Fuel Pumps, Injector Pump, Fuel Injectors, Pressure, Mixture, Timing, Filters, Tanks.
3.IGNITION :: Spark, Timing, electrics, electronics
4. Cooling System
5. Electrical System

OK, is that it? How many ticks or question marks?

Well my guess from your report is that it isn't 4 or 5, I couldn't possibly comment on 3, but one new set of plugs sounds a good theory.
I understand that platinum plugs are "the business", Merlins have them, the Skyline loves them, but they cost me all my pocket money. Maybe try them once, and if the problem prevails put them back in the silk box for when she's cured.

You said you had plenty of 1., and the turbo seems to be working again? I thought that when they go, you really know, like last time.
so that leaves 2.
That black stuff seems like either somethings melting somewhere like a seal, oil, it's very rich, or very bad fuel timing. But timing would lead to a misfire wouldn't it?

Dust, I wouldn't get too cocky mate, you've yet to introduce the single lever Continental upside downey twin turbo nutter beastard to the heavens above. Can you give me an address so I can send flowers to "my sweet, the Hanger Queen"? I'll put it in my diary, for it's first anniversary.

Happy Hunting
Adam
Old 06-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Right on, Adam. I've been getting some feedback from the rotary guys, and the consensus seems to be fuel. I'm going to check the filters and fuel flow tomorrow. I'll pick up new plugs on the way.

Be easy on Dust. He's a bit fragile.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
I checked with ALL of the aviation experts at the airport and got a unanimous opinion, knew right what the problem was after they read the post, BOY, you got a car engine in that thar airplane!

Those guys would say the same thing if the wing fell off.

Don't read dust literally. He has nothing against auto conversions and in fact was promised Continental's new diesel engine, serial number 1, but couldn't wait any longer.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 06-02-2004, 12:24 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default gummy bear..

There is one thing that keeps coming to the top of my thought process about your recent engine fritz: Gum.

Now, the only thing I have around here (machine )that gets gum on it is my weed-eater. It runs on a pretty high RPM but still has a gummy deposit. Most rich running engines dont "gum" as much as "crud".
What does my weedeater have in common with your bird? 2 cycle oil. Now I know you pre-mix, but did you put fuel stabilizer in with it? (this keeps the oil from seperating and going to the bottom of the tank or some other place where it can collect and congeal).
I think that the engine power problem was a combination of factors. Rich mixture can force more mix into the chamber, but if there was too much oil, it will eventually foul the plugs. Landing and taking off can allow cooling, but often the decrease in airflow heats up the engine (you can't think aircraft engine here, think of a car sitting at a light after exiting the interstate) there is a delay as the heat is exchanged. Now the rotary can create lots of heat in a short period of time while running at a higher rpm. Slower rpm slows the coolant pump down and even though you may have enough radiator for the engine at speed, once it has been heated up the flow has to be there to effectively cool. (remember why you took out the thermostat?).
So, a little heat, a little gum, fouls a plug and voila! Power goes down the tubes..so to speak..
Fortunately, the rotary has 3 power "strokes" per rotation and it will still run..even with fouled plugs. The coils could have contributed to the snafu, but I doubt it. It would have failed more likely on the take-off roll. IMHO

I am just trying to get you to think "out of the box"......

Of course it could be a loose nut .....somewhere
Old 06-02-2004, 07:52 AM

I think its a vacume problem...

Scat tube before the turbo? Any way that puppy is folding or sucking closed blocking the air intake? This would cause a severe running rich condition and a loss of power. It may only happen under heavy load (more engine / turbo suck-sion ) or air travelling into the cowling could move it around?.?. (I don't know how stiff... uh... fixed in place it is. )

Just a thought. I've had 2 cars that a similar problem as they aged. The hard rubber air intake pre-turbo would soften under engine heat and vacume then collapse. Same results... low power, resistance to higher RPM, heavy soot on the rear bumper.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions, people. Keep 'em coming.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:07 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Lightbulb scavenger..

I was thinking about the bearing seals leaking in the turbo.

Most racers and aircraft turbo applications use a scavenger pump on the return side of the turbo to keep the pressure from building up on the bearings and, subsequently the leakage that can occur because of this pressure; especially on engine shutdown.

More stuff to stuff in the pipe to smoke...

I'll be in WPB Thursday..
Old 06-02-2004, 10:15 AM

Does your fuel rail maintain a constant pressure? I think you mentioned 40psi in your write up. Has it always been 40psi? If your injectors are sized for a lower pressure you would have a rich condition. Maybe there is something goofy with the pressure regulator or the return lines. Just throwing some mud at the wall.

Damon
Old 06-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I have a manifold pressure adjusted regulator, per Tracy's recomendations. I have it set a little lower than 40 psi at ambient MAP.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Back in the saddle again!

96 Papa Mike flew again this morning. Flight #8. 1.1hrs.

For once there's not very much to report. Everything went well. No engine issues, and I landed when I wanted to....

with the option of a go around.

There's write-up in my web site. Boring reading. No emergencies.

Last edited by John Slade : 06-07-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:23 AM

Congratulations John...getting a good flight like that in was probably more satisfying than the first flight.

I am curious about your blown fuse. How is it that the engine came back to life after you landed?

Damon
Old 06-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
getting a good flight like that in was probably more satisfying than the first flight.
Yea, in a way it was, although the first flight was also uneventful. I'm actually starting to like flying my rotary. The high speed run was especially nice.

Tracy hands out badges to rotary flyers that say "I love flying my Mazda Rotary", but he says it took him 6 months to get to that stage. Ed Anderson took a year to fly off his hours.

Here's my theory on what happened with the fuse:
It blew, the leading plugs stopped firing, and I suffered an rpm drop. I immediately decended and asked for very little power from the engine until after landing. Once on the spare runway I tweaked the mixture. I was probably overrich with only one set of plugs running. I must have weakend the mixture and the engine liked that. I was still running on one set of plugs, but since I wasnt really drawing a lot of power the engine ran well enough for me not to notice the difference.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it - unless someone has a better one.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:32 PM

Sounds good to me.

Damon
Old 06-08-2004, 10:41 PM

Post ign switches

John..
Good spotting with the ignition fuses..
I also understand the reason to go with fuses however..
Have you considered using W31 style switch/breakers on the ignition??
The advantage being that if one blows, the switch (Toggle) turns itself off.. therefore you can spot the problem..
It seems to me to be one of those occasions where its nice to know what's going on..

Great reading.. Fly more !!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Good spotting with the ignition fuses..
Well thanks, but it was more of a case of "check everything till you find it" As always, it was the last thing I came to.

Quote:
Have you considered using W31 style switch/breakers on the ignition??
The advantage being that if one blows, the switch (Toggle) turns itself off.. therefore you can spot the problem..
It seems to me to be one of those occasions where its nice to know what's going on..
I know what you mean, but I'm more tempted by the KISS approach here. i.e. fuse it so it wont blow under any kind of normal circumstance. If it DOES blow, then by definition this isnt a normal circumstance, and its time to go home. Have redundancy so you CAN get home - then figure it out in the heat of the hangar . Same applies to fuel pumps, injectors and EFI computers. There are a LOT of things that could "blow" or fail in some way or other in an all electric airplane. You could have a whole row of breaker switches (at some expense). What real good does the information do you? Provided, of course, that the engine continues to run because of a backup, the only knowledge I really need is "something ain't right".

A bit of a weird way to look at it, I know, but it does sort of follow Bob's philosopy.

Quote:
Great reading.. Fly more !!
SOmeone said in a PM that it was like a good book you can't put down, and I thank him for that. My answer was:

Better start thinking of it as a weekly (if I'm lucky) TV series. Looks like I'll be out of town for the next 10 days at least.