Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Rotary SQ2000 certified

Yesterday 12/10 Paul Conner (Mobile, AL) received the airworthiness cert for his 13B powered SQ2000. I don't think he's on this forum, so I'm announcing it for him.

His first flight is planned for about 25 minutes from now.

Go paul!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:02 PM

We should extend an offer to Paul. He has always seemed to be another voice of reason. Does he know of our little forum? FWIW.

All the best,

Chris
Old 12-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default First flight announcement

I'll invite him over

Here's Paul Conner's announcement:
The winds were a direct crosswind 20 knots, gusting higher (windsock standing straight out). At approximately 3:30 P.M. my SQ2000 slipped the surly bounds of Earth....made a couple circuits around the airport and had an uneventful (yawn) landing. The precarious part was the take-off and climbout. I am not getting enough power. From 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, engine accelerates smoothly and plenty of power. As soon as I try to go above 1/2 throttle, the engine begins to bog down. Advancing the throttle more only made it bog down even more. On takeoff roll, I was only able to get 4400 rpm's at approximately 1/2 throttle. Acceleration felt OK, and the nosewheel lifted at around 70 knots. Mains lifted off shortly afterward, but it just didn't want to climb. (Flew fine in ground effect, of course). Unfortunately, I had reached the point of no return (short runway) and past the accelerate/stop point, so I was committed. Found a "V" in the treeline and headed for that. Made it...(whew)....continued slow climb to 2000 feet, made a couple of circuits around the airport and had a smooth landing (considering the strong, gusty crosswinds). Down and stopped by mid field.
I had a few "bugs" to work out, like tightening the tension on the nosewheel, so after 3 trips to the runway and back to the hangar, by the time I got to the runway the fourth time, water temperatures were up to 190 degrees. Fortunately, on climbout they started dropping, and by the time I was downwind, they were stable at 170. I am pleased that the temperature decreased in the climb.
I have to work on the power problem ASAP. I'm thinking it is mixture related. I had programed the MicroTech ECU to be 10 percent leaner (for all throttle settings), and perhaps that was a mistake. If I remember correctly, you need sufficient air and sufficient fuel to make power. Because the butterfly in the throttlebody continues opening past 1/2 throttle, I'm reaonably certain that I am getting more air past 1/2 throttle. I am assuming that I am not getting more fuel coming in past that 1/2 throttle position, causing the engine to bog down past 1/2 throttle. Best RPM I could obtain was 4400 rpm (in cruise with the prop unloaded), and with a 2.19:1 gear reduction,that puts my max rpm on the prop at only 2000. Barely enough to fly, let alone climb out. Will continue problem solving and pass on results. On the positive side, first flight was successful, aircraft flew well, and no-one got hurt. I have to count that as a success. Take care. Paul Conner, Mobile, AL
Old 12-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Nathan Gifford

John, how is his engine configured? Fuel injected, etc?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:35 PM

curious that on canard aviators forum - he said "uneventfull (yawn)" - however he made no mention of his 50% power issue, and a v cut in the treeline was all that saved his bacon with a 200fpm climb.

does not sound uneventfull to me!

Last edited by shrike : 12-13-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I haven't seen it, but I understand the engine is fuel injected (Microtech ECU) and normally aspirated. Apparantly he's adjusted the mixture and is now getting better power. There's something to be said for a in dash mixture control as with the EC2.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

There's something to be said about making sure your engine can develop it's rated power before leaving the ground. Those units are suposed to come from the factory with a base fuel map for your engine.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 12-13-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur
There's something to be said about making sure your engine can develop it's rated power before leaving the ground.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur
Those units are suposed to come from the factory with a base fuel map for your engine.
As John said, Paul thought it was set too rich so he leaned it, now believed to be excessively. He got that impression from fuel dripping from his inlet runners after shutdown. His runners wrap over the top of his motor and hang down on the cool side. ***His injector nozzles are on the cool side of his motor rather than being close to his intake ports.**** Normall some fuel coats the walls of inlet runners and that should explain the drips. Paul is undoing his lean setting.

***edit***
Old 12-14-2004, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
I haven't seen it, but I understand the engine is fuel injected (Microtech ECU) and normally aspirated. Apparantly he's adjusted the mixture and is now getting better power. There's something to be said for a in dash mixture control as with the EC2.
I for one would want to reach up and turn a knob and adjust the mix right then and there. Just as long as my son does not turn the knob whilst saying "what is this for?"
Old 12-14-2004, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
Absolutely.

As John said, Paul thought it was set too rich so he leaned it, now believed to be excessively. He got that impression from fuel dripping from his inlet runners after shutdown. His runners wrap over the top of his motor and hang down on the cool side. ***His injector nozzles are on the cool side of his motor rather than being close to his intake ports.**** Normall some fuel coats the walls of inlet runners and that should explain the drips. Paul is undoing his lean setting.

***edit***

Hi....my name is Paul Conner, the subject of the SQ2000 thread. This is my first time posting on this forum....not sure if I am doing it in the correct place. As far as making sure the engine is developing full rated power, After talking to George Graham, who said he takes off and flies at 1/2 throttle with his rotary powered E-Racer, plus after several practice aborted takeoff runs, the aircraft was always capable of getting the nosewheel off the ground only using approx. 1/4 of the runway. Acceleration felt fine. A couple of short flights just a couple of feet off the runway seemed to indicate it would fly. I was hoping that the prop would unwind a little as speed increased, which it did, but only after I leveled off in the pattern. Once I had my 1000 feet, the aircraft actually flew very well, although I only attained 140 knots with the gear down. Unfortunately, I don't know what full rated power is with the prop I have? I wanted to make the flight short and get back on the ground so I could pull both cowlings and inspect/look for anything that may be coming loose, and oil or fuel leaks, etc. Fortunately, I found no leaks or problems. Could have flown longer, but I still feel better having landed and checked things out. Next flight can be longer. I have since played with the mixture (yes, you can adjust it in flight with the MicroTech controller that is mounted on the instrument panel), and power is much better. Brakes will no longer hold it when above 4500 rpm's.
The MicroTech ECU comes from the factory with a preset MAP, but of course that is only a starting point. Depending on the length of your intake runners, the size of your injectors, the number of injectors, etc, etc, you cannot rely on the factory settings to be right for your installation. I have only two large injectors in a TWM throttlebody. Idle is very good at around 800 to 1000 rpm's. Automatic fuel enrichment for cold start works very well (starts within one or two blades consistently). It provides a smooth transition from idle to midrange. It was only the top end that was lacking, and I have dramatically improved that with mixture adjustments. My primary concern is the after-shutdown fuel drip. I am not comfortable with that. Today I pulled the wrap-over manifold off and began installing the short straight manifold that came with my TWM throttlebody from Atkins Rotary. I want to test that manifold for max rpm's and especially for the possiblility of eliminating the after shutdown fuel drip. The ports are somewhat different in size on this manifold, so it will be interesting to see how it performs. Dave Atkins has been using one for quite some time. During one of the many tests that Rusty performed on the 3 or 4 manifolds he tried, he said the Atkins manifold improved starting and idle. I don't recall what top RPM he obtained from it. I will find out shortly. Will post results after testing. Hope I didn't ramble on too much. Paul Conner, 13b powered SQ2000 in Mobile, AL
Old 12-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Welcome, Paul. Yes, you're in the right place.

Please keep us informed. There are a lot of wanklers here.

PS: Paul was my instructor for Cozy flight experience in Dan Cruger's IV. He did an excellent job, is obviously a very accomplished pilot and instructor, and I very much appreciate receiving the benefit of his experience. Thanks again, Paul and Dan, for that opportunity. Cozy builders - flight experience is essential. Don't leave the ground without it.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

That's for the info Paul and welcome aboard.

If you had to use the mixture control to richen the fuel ratio for better power above 1/2 throttle, you may be over rich when under 1/2 throttle. This may be from differences in volumetric efficiency used in the original fuel map.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqpilot
Hope I didn't ramble on too much. Paul Conner, 13b powered SQ2000 in Mobile, AL
RAMBLE, RAMBLE everyone is interested in both the engine and the plane. Thanks for joining and for you

Enjoy the fly or should i say flight testing
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Nathan Gifford

I concur. Ramble please. Besides it was a good read.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:11 PM

hows about some pictures or perhaps a video clip of that beast!??