Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > FIRST FLIGHTS & COMPLETIONS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 PM

I did get a chance to take a quick look at the plans that came with the RV-10and I must say,,,,the COZY MKIV plans are much better! The Cozy plans are hand drawn, yet the written instructions are geared toward the first time builder with NO experiance. You follow the plans and learn as you go. The RV plans are well drawn CAD plans and start off with simple parts, yet the instructions are written as if you are an experianced builder. I understand them because I have read enough, and done enough riveting to know whats going on,,,but I think that a person with no previous metal working/ blueprint reading experiance, would need to sign up for one of them "Hands On" weekend seminars. I'm busy taking inventory on the boxes. I like the way they package the parts up. The bolts, washers, nuts and such, are put together in a single bag for that particular assembly step and numbered as a part/bag number. No need to search through bins of bolts ect,,,just open the bag and all the hardware is there that particular step you are working on. OK,,,back to ordering some more tools to get this kit started!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:11 PM

Most RV10 builders seem to be second or third offenders and the instructions in some parts could be vague for the newbie but you should have seen the old plans! Total crap in my view, multiple mistakes, multiple different or lack of dimensions for parts, no updating, not to scale etc. The new manuals are a vast improvement but I've still seen better from Stoddard Hamilton etc. There are still a few mistakes despite what some of the blinded RVers say. Given the scope of the new design and engineering though I marvel at what a good and complete job Van's has done. I'm not complaining much about my RV10.

You like those little brown bags? Wait till you find that they put parts from other assemblies in the same bag and you have to search your computer printout for the breakdown. That is a big peeve of mine. Don't put landing gear hardware in with windshield stuff!

Glad you are working on it. Don that hearing protection and give 'er!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 AM

Completed my inventory of the RV-10 and am VERY pleased that NOTHING is missing from the Lists!! I've moved the completed wings of the Cozy probably 100 times or more so far and I gotta report that I think a COZY MKIV wing completed IS lighter in weight than just the aluminum spar of the RV-10 wing!!! Man,,,,these spam cans ARE heavy compared to a composit!!