Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > Long EZ Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Got Foam?

Lightbulb Scope Creep!

Scope Creep are two words that are project killers but I'm thinking I may make a mod that I had not previously defined when I started my project (what are the odds of that?)

In the Berkut, the instrument panel starts out perpendicular to the floor but it changes angle by 7 degrees to create a better angle of view to the panel. I'm looking at cutting out the upper part of my panel and angle it at 7 degrees as well.

Has anyone done this, or are there any Berkut fliers that can address the effectiveness of this mod?
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 AM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Default Re: Scope Creep!

If you dig around on our web site somewhere you will find our avionics page.
When I was designing the enclosures for the BMA EFIS I had the datasheets for the LCD screens and amongst all the technical blah blah blah was detils about viewing angles. That lead me to look elsewhere for more stuff about visual acuity, glare, brightness etc. It comes down to this; if you want to see stuff to the very best of your ability under the worst possible conditions (maybe flying down a beach with lots of surf haze and glare, maybe you screwed up and wore a white t-shirt) you want the things you want to see best to be perpendicular to your line of sight.
I think in our Cozy that turned out to be 15 degrees so we made a mold for some carbon fiber tilt frames to drop the displays back 15 deg. We did not like slab style monolithic panels anyway so this helped to break it up a little.

When your tub is done and you can put some cushions in and sit down in it, then use some straight edges and protractors to determine what works best for you.
Seven degrees seems a bit shallow.
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Girrrl View Post
.....seems a bit shallow.
I AM NOT SHALLOW!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:47 AM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
I AM NOT SHALLOW!
Someone's touchy, I guess the truth hurts :P

j/k

back on topic, what with the seating position being reclined, I'd imagine that the sightline issue is probably not as significant as with more upright seating regarding the panel... I'm also thinking of some degree of cant, but as I think the cozy girrls have done, just the displays, to form a "hood" around them, not the whole panel. That's easily enough done after the interiour is roughed out, I imagine that trying to do this at chapter 5 when the panel is installed would be a bit of a guessing game.
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 08-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
I AM NOT SHALLOW!
I am going to hurt myself exercizing restraint on this one

CG Products
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-04-2007, 12:35 PM

I do not think this was much of an issue with steam gauges, they have great contrast in just about any lighting situation.
With the proliferation of "screens" we will see in the future, the vertical panel poses many problems, the worst of them being the biomechanics of the eye. You fly around in the hazy brightness and this causes your pupils to close down to pinpoints. This is great for depth of field vison but terrible for dealing with the relatively low light output of even the brightest screens.

When you look at a screen the first issue is the surface itself. On a vertical panel it is reflecting your midsection. This could be a white t-shirt or possibly worse a white t-shrt with print on it. This is sort of like printing a lightly translucent camo layer directly on your screen.

The features on your screen, unlike a steam gauge, are the pixels behind the camo layer of glare. To give it a fighting chance you have to look straight at it.

Take your laptop and a sheet of white paper outside. Stare at the white paper with the sun reflecting off of it for a minute or two, look at your laptop screen from different angles. I realise that your laptop is at best 25% of the brightness of an EFIS screen but you will get the idea.
When I fly commercial I stick the GPS antenna on the window...I always sit on the south facing side of the plane (more satelites). At 35-40k ft going 435 mph its fun to pass the time trying to pick up details on MS Streets mapping software and whats out the window, even if it makes the person next to you nervous at first. I learnd right away that after looking out the window through the hazy-bright that when I looked at my laptop I could not even tell if it was on.

Modern EFIS screens are many times brighter. When flying in Steve's Stagger-EZ there was no problem at any time seeing his screens, he does have them angled as well.

One last thing, even small amounts of eye strain add significantly to fatigue.

...Chrissi

CG Products
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
When I fly commercial I stick the GPS antenna on the window...I always sit on the south facing side of the plane (more satelites). At 35-40k ft going 435 mph its fun to pass the time trying to pick up details on MS Streets mapping software
Chrissi, I'm surprised you haven't been asked to step into a little room after your flight with all that wired up.

Did the old box style BMA have that problem as well? Light rays on the screen is a problem for sure but I didn't think angle was a problem. I used to have a big boat with all the fishing and radar crap. They had large glare hoods but I had no problem seeing them at any angle in the boat. Are all the displays like a laptop flat screen?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Girrrl View Post
........ I think in our Cozy that turned out to be 15 degrees so we made a mold for some carbon fiber tilt frames to drop the displays back 15 deg. We did not like slab style monolithic panels anyway so this helped to break it up a little.

When your tub is done and you can put some cushions in and sit down in it, then use some straight edges and protractors to determine what works best for you.
Did that tonight. 15 degrees nails it! Thanks