Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > Long EZ Specific Q&A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2007, 01:59 AM

Default luggage space

LUGGAGE in Longeze
Another question.Using the wing roots to hollow out luggage space,does it affect the integrity of the center section?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

well - the wing roots are the fuel tanks.

baggage pods are available
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 AM
LongEZ-RG

In a LongEZ, there are all kinds of little cubby holes to store stuff;

The strakes serve double duty. They provide an area for luggage (or other stuff) and the fuel tanks are built into them.

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Constru...s_Strake.shtml

The Centerspar is hollow, nice place to store tools or spare parts while on a road trip.

The Hell Hole, area behind and below the rear seat provides a lot of space to stuff stuff.

AND, you still need more room, invest in the baggage pods. These mount under the wing and have a lot of room.

You need to be a little innovative on how you store stuff for trips. We pack our baggage into the small plastic grocery bags that fit in all these nooks and crannies. When we arrive at the destination, we pull out all the little grocery bags, and place everything in a soft duffel bag.

Waiter
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Picture of Long-Eze Baggage Podz on Johns plane. Available from Gary the Glue-Guru Hunter and Aerocad and Featherlight. The back part of the dolphin 'cone' comes off to store duffles inside. About $600. clams. Pretty easy to install and once on, they are easily detachable and reattachable.
Gary built larger scaled/sized ones for the larger Mark IV that you can fit your bag of golf clubs or 2 pairs of skis per Pod. Very well made, very attractive. They are about a grand.
Podz add drag but according to the flyer's Ive talked too, amazingly still great performance. If ya need the stowage..they've been figured out!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John D. and his Long EZe.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	599.9 KB
ID:	3341  
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM

When you say "wing root", are you referring to the wing root of the leading edge (which is outboard of the strake) or the wing root of the trailing edge (which is adjacent to the cowls)? You can't access the latter because the aileron control system is in that wing root. You can't put a baggage area in the former because you'd need to cut in an access hatch/panel. That would destroy the structural integrity of the wing. That area of the wing is identified as a critical structural area in the plans. One of the reasons RAF didn't want anyone installing lights in the leading edge near that wing root.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 AM
LongEZ-RG

Quote:
Podz add drag but according to the flyer's Ive talked too
Baggage pods cost me about 5kts in speed.

Waiter
Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey View Post
Gary built larger scaled/sized ones for the larger Mark IV that you can fit your bag of golf clubs or 2 pairs of skis per Pod. Very well made, very attractive. They are about a grand.
Waahoo I can take golf clubs!

Well, I'd better build the damn thing first.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hicks View Post
When you say "wing root", are you referring to the wing root of the leading edge (which is outboard of the strake)... That area of the wing is identified as a critical structural area in the plans. One of the reasons RAF didn't want anyone installing lights in the leading edge near that wing root.
Picture attached. Pod bracket is attached to front curve and on top of wing leading edge. You custom shape and fit 'bracket' to your wing L.E. etc shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strake lights  +   sideinlets location.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	3342  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
Waahoo I can take golf clubs!
When will you ever find time to golf Mike.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 PM

Default How can I get in contact with Gary about the pods?

Quote:
Picture of Long-Eze Baggage Podz on Johns plane. Available from Gary the Glue-Guru Hunter and Aerocad and Featherlight. The back part of the dolphin 'cone' comes off to store duffles inside. About $600. clams. Pretty easy to install and once on, they are easily detachable and reattachable.
Podz add drag but according to the flyer's Ive talked too, amazingly still great performance. If ya need the stowage..they've been figured out!!
How can you contact Gary?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Last email I have for Gary is, gluegaru@earthlink.net , if anybody else has a better link or his phone#, please list.
I was going to open his box that's got his Podz in it to get out the installation paperwork included, thinking his # might be on it, but its under a big pile of stuff, so ainta gonna do dat now.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: luggage space

How do the baggage pods attach to the wings? Should I incorporate hardpoints into the wings (or strakes) to facilitate pod attachment later?

Joe
CozyMKIV plans #1550.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 PM

You don't add anything- they are made for an already built and finished set of wings. They attach right next to the junction of strake and wing- wrapping on the leading edge of the wing and going back a bit.
Very sturdy and demountable easily if a particular trip doesn't warrant them.

Oh, I noticed you haven't ordered Mark IV plans yet.....GET THOSE PLANS and start building something, so you can say to your friends-"Hey, Guys, I'm building a bloody airplane in my garage- what are YOU doing with your free time?- watchin' T.V. still???!!!!!
It makes daily going home from the office kinda fun, knowing at home YOUR airplane is slowly taking shape. And at that, you can't help breakin' out in a grin.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
You don't add anything- they are made for an already built and finished set of wings. They attach right next to the junction of strake and wing- wrapping on the leading edge of the wing and going back a bit.
Very sturdy and demountable easily if a particular trip doesn't warrant them.

Oh, I noticed you haven't ordered Mark IV plans yet.....GET THOSE PLANS and start building something, so you can say to your friends-"Hey, Guys, I'm building a bloody airplane in my garage- what are YOU doing with your free time?- watchin' T.V. still???!!!!!
It makes daily going home from the office kinda fun, knowing at home YOUR airplane is slowly taking shape. And at that, you can't help breakin' out in a grin.
so true !
Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Uh...the baggage pads are attached to hardpoints that you install into the wings. You do this following the instructions that come with the pods. The existing structure supports this. You don't need to beef up anything right now in anticipation of getting them later.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html