Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Safety
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Making the Canards crashworthy

Well, quite a number of accident have cause pilots to break or LOSE legs, the nose cracks in front of the IP

One Vari builder, well rebuilder he originally finished it in 83 and is now rehabbing it, has just wrapped the fuse from longeron to longeron from the nose to the strake with one layer of kevlar and a 2 layer overlap every 6 inches.

I don't like that solution cause i don't think is adds strength where needed (front to back), but, i don't have a plan or solution yet either
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: problems i have yet to solve

Well thanks Steve - now i have a plan - "box" beam from top of IP to bottom of next bulkhead forward diagonal against the inside wall and kevlar on the bottom for toughness.

the beam will have 3 layers of uni and three layers of bid, each 1inch 2inch and 3inch overlap on the sidewall

so it be written - so it be done
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world

Last edited by Dust : 06-28-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

another builder stopped by the hanger on the weekend and we increased the plan - the 2 layer heat tube extension that i have will now get an additional 6 layers, tying the IP lower bulkhead to the wheel well.

I'll leave the area where the ip and wheel well intersect alone and pull feet back in case of a crash, well ifin i remember if i ever crash.

Plan for the worst, accept the best
dust

Last edited by Dust : 06-30-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

I recently learned that Steve Wright solved the situation by building in a center box keel

He had seen so many serious accidents where the plane folded that when he designed and built his staggerEZ that was his solution

He is smart - moved mains back 6" too to help stop prop strikes.

Too bad the internet does not want to hear this stuffffff
dust