Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2005, 04:39 PM

One of the first things that you will be doing during flight testing will be to check out the "trim" of the plane.

You will find, due to all the building variables, that you may have to add or subtract washers to get the wings to trim up. That will take care of roll

You may also find that there is not enough upforce or downforce on the canard springs. Flying balls out, I did not have enough down authority on the pitch trim. I removed 1/2 inch of the spring at a time untill this was corrected.

This is per Long EZ plans.

This was easy to do with the plans springs. Not so easy with the compression springs unless you have many of them to play with.

Other considerations affecting the spring tension. Cable lengths, rudder deflection, bend radius, friction of the nylaflow tubing, properly fixed nylaflow tubing every XX inches (Bow Effect) and bellcranks.

As for the spring breaking, it would be a long shot. As for the control redundancy using the trim, yes, but I would not wish to depend on it-tried it once on approach-did not like it one bit.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:23 PM

Did the composite horse shoe spring on the electric trim plans replace these tension/compression springs, or was it in addition to the plans springs?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:49 PM
LongEZ-RG

Darn,

One thing I forgot to do before I removed my manual pitch trim system was to measure the force on the elevators.

First let me say, the only time I had to mess with elevator trim was when I had major changes in gross weight. The trim seemed to stay the same or only required very minor changes throughout a flight, not like some aircraft that you need to constantly adjust the trim.

When parked on the ground, the trim would move the elevators to their full nose up position (trailing edge down).

The test I forgot to do, was take a fish scale, hook it to the trailing edge, and pull up until the elevator trailing edge is lined up with the end fairing (level flight). How much force (lbs) does this take??

The reason for this was to do a preliminary adjustment of the electric trim actuator to load the elevator with the same weight.

On the subject of Springs:

I had the "compression" springs installed on mine, these were nice because you could remove them in about 15 seconds when you needed to take the canard off. They were also very ez to reinstall in the tight innards where you cant see or get wrenches into

Waiter
Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM

Marc:

I don't want to split hairs, but if you're using compression springs it will depend on each individual set-up. On my buddy George's plane set up per the diagram I showed, the other compression spring (the bottom one) was fully slacked. True, when the system was in neutral, the compression springs are adjusted with some compression in them, but no where near what you have with the pitch trim springs. True, the system is transparent to the user.

I know three people who had tension springs break on them. One was immediate pitch up, the other was an immediate roll. (I don't know if they were hands on stick or if they were on autopilot.) Thankfully, broken springs don't happen often.

MT: The Wright-Hanka horseshoe composite spring replaces the plans spring trim system entirely. It's not in addition to it.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 10-25-2005, 08:48 PM
LongEZ-RG

Quote:
the other compression spring (the bottom one) was fully slacked.
Mine was like this also. When parked on the ground, both springs were taught. but in flight, the bottom spring was slack.

I can't remember were I got them, Does Spruce sell these?

Waiter
Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 PM

Quote:
MT: The Wright-Hanka horseshoe composite spring replaces the plans spring trim system entirely
Wright-Hanka. I gotta write that down somewhere... or... dare I do it?!?!? DUSTPIC