Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Cozy MkIV #1348

Default My Pre-Cozy is now a real airplane

Avid Flyer #681 flew yesterday for the first time in over 8 years!

After a few touch up items from the break-in run a couple of weeks ago, my 'pre-cozy' airplane took to the skies and had some fun yesterday. My instructor flew it for about 45 minutes first, to get familiar with the plane, verify stall speeds and handling. Of course, the winds favored the runway that was the furthest from the terminal, so I got to watch it taxi for a long time first.

When he applied full power, it didn't look like it had hardly started rolling before it jumped into the sky. The runway is 5000 feet long, and he was at pattern altitude before he got to the end of the runway. He stayed over the airport and climbed up to about 3000 feet and did some steep turns, then a couple of stalls, verified the engine didn't hesitate or hiccup during power changes, etc. Then he landed and I jumped in (literally I think, I was a little excited).

I taxied it to the runup area, and tailwheels are definitely more challenging to taxi smoothly. Fortunately, in this plane you can see over the nose, so the 'waddle' taxi isn't necessary. Maybe that was a bad thing, because then I'd have a better explanation for why we did waddle about half the way.

Takeoff was amazing - I pushed the throttle in to full power, and it just took off - I barely had time to verify full RPM's before it was in the air. We climbed at a rate that was definitely better than the Warrior or Arrow I usually fly at this airport, even with both of us in the airplane. It doesn't have a VSI, so I don't know what the rate was. We flew up to about 2000 feet over the airport, and I just spent time getting acquainted with the rudder pedals. The plane was more responsive than anything I've ever flown. Just touch the stick, and away it went in the direction you pointed. After about 30-40 minutes of turns, climbs, descents, and one approach to a stall, the sun was starting to get low on the horizon, so we called it quits. The instructor did the landing while I watched to get used to the sight picture and airspeeds. Nice, smooth landing and we taxied back to the hanger and put it away. 9.5 more hours with an instructor (insurance requirement - and I need it anyway), and then I can go flying any time the weather and schedule permit!

The only incident was the smile that almost split my face in two!

Mark
Old 11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Great stufffffffff - enjoy the fly

AND
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Mark,

Not sure if you are in-touch with many other Avid Flyer owners or not, but if you ever run into the owner of N93MM (c/n 93) let me know. Its the Avid Flyer that my grandfather built many many years ago.

Enjoy your flying!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Cozy MkIV #1348

Jon,
I don't see that one on the list of owners in the Avid group ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/avid_flyer ), but the FAA registration records show it is Maine. I'll keep a watch on the newsgroup, if the owner posts something I'll give him this forums' URL so he can send you a message.
Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Don P-Factor

Thanks for the story. I had a smile on my face just reading it. I felt lilke I was up there with you. Adrenaline and all (maybe it was due to that second cup of Java kicking in). Best part of my day. Thanks. Don.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Just Building/Saving

My one experience in a Piper Cub was much like you describe. Very touchy controls, esspecially the rudder.