Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Flight on Diamond DA-40TDI

Hi,

Our flying club rents the DA-40, and Kate recently received type training (=checkout ride + some exam) so we took it to the air yesterday for 1.5 hours Kate being the PIC.
As a quick impression: The plane flies like a dream. The control harmony is perfect, it is perfectly stable and stall is very gentle. On landing we bypassed one slower plane on final (because we couldn't slow down enough), but still the landing rollout was impressively short on runway and despite we were high on final and a bit fast as we just bypassed the slow plane, it still gently touched down to the beginning of the runway like nothing would have happened. Because of the extraordinary handling charasteristics of this stick-driven craft, this is a plane that one can't make a hard landing. The landing is so soft that it is hardly noticeable and the plane has no tendency to drop nose abruptly etc. It all happens very smoothly. It is not a rocket like a friend's 200 hp RV-8 with a CS prop, but it is a gentle and elegant cross-country machine that clearly has been designed and not "just built" to have a perfection in the control harmony. The performance is not bad taking account the fuel consumption: with 70% power it cruised 130 kt (IAS) (at 5 gph) at 2500 feet MSL and at 60% it went still 120 kt consuming only 4 gallons per hour of JET-A1 which is significantly cheaper than AVGAS in Finland. The visibility from the cockpit is good forwards, not as good as in a Cozy, but quite ok and to sides the visibility is better than in Cozy since there are no visible longerons but I would bet that the composite monococue fuselage is just stregthened from the fuselage sides so that knocking it with hand feels like knocking a composite yacht rather than an airplane. The construction appears to be pretty strong and I would guess that it would be pretty safe on a forced landing situation. Because of the limitations with the extended tanks for the useful load, this plane is best suited for two persons + luggage rather than four persons on board that the spacious seating configuration would allow. With two persons, the full extended tanks give a very good endurance for the already fuel-efficient engine. As in the Diesel-Cessna, the plane has a combined single lever for prop pitch and throttle, the FADEC automatically adjusts the CS prop's pitch which greatly reduces pilot's workload and makes the drive as easy than you would be driving with a Toyota Prius.

Pros:
- Superb controls & handling charasteristics
- Very economical to fly
- Ergonomy in cockpit
- Easy to fly. Perfect feel in the stick. Very stable.
- Cool
- Endurance
- Spacious cockpit, comfortable to sit long times
- Low cabin noise, the engine sounds like a diesel Mercedes Benz on
a highway and it runs very smoothly.

Cons:
- High price
- Is not a "racer" and does not reach extreme performance numbers. This is not really a downside if you take in account the intended use as a cross-country machine that can be flown effortlessly for long time continuously with minimal effort. So because of the long high aspect ratio wings, it obviously has relatively slow roll rate.
- Like most 4-place planes, this is two place with full fuel.

Best Wishes,
Karoliina
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )

Last edited by karoliina : 02-23-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:15 PM

... but did you and Kate practice climbing into the back seat and jumping out the passenger door before you hit the water like that Malaysian fellow?

Nice writeup on the DA40. It's a shame they didn't design it as a "true" 4-place airplane (4 "normal" sized passengers plus full fuel < MGTOW), especially for the price tag.

My C150 has 2 seats but it can only carry 300# of people with full fuel. At 220#, I'm stuck with ~1 hour hops if I carry anyone with me and want to maintain a 30 minute fuel reserve. This is a constant reminder to keep my Long EZ project light...

More bells/whistles == less useful load == less of a real "2-place" airplane. I want a REAL airplane.

I'd probably make an exception for that heavy deisel engine and the "single power lever" control, though. Sounds nice.

D
Old 02-24-2007, 09:45 AM

The coming da-50 will be for larger adults. It will have the 300+ hp Centurion 4.0 diesel.

C152 is not a cross country machine. On da-40 you'll get some 8 hours of endurance with two people+baggage.
We were flying today again. Two adults + two children + 60% fuel is ok. With that the endurance is still many hours. 1 hour hops you mentioned, would be pretty pathetic on any plane.
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 AM
slightly crazy

as we are just training on the DA40 for our CPL/IR/ATPL pratical examn, and i have another 30 hrs of DA40 and then another 35hrs on the DA42 coming, yes I know what you mean. Flying wit 3 people on board gives me (long range tanks 2x19.5 gal) around 22 gal of fuel onboard. No problem VFR, but IFR it kinda shortens your range, taking alternate, final and holding reserve, and continency fuel into account. but still .. i really like the plane. it's built not far from where I live now, and afaik in canada somewhere as well.

We've had some problems with engine sputtering, but they were resolved with a new ECU and cable connections. I'm kinda curious about the DA50, the bigger Centurion sounds like fun, we had it here on the forum before i think.

so , yes, anybody still praying to lycosauruses and stuff, go fly one of these and rethink I simply love the fadec system.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

so , yes, anybody still praying to lycosauruses and stuff, go fly one of these and rethink
Moot point- unfortunately.

That might be useful of they were available to 'experimental' aircraft builders...
But- according to Theilurrrt....they ain't not, no, never going to be available to sell to individual builders.
Theres only remote talk, as I understand it, of maybe selling through Van's installations for the RV horde 'collective'[the 'borg']....but according to the marketing guy that responded to my inquiry...no limited private sales will ever occur.
It is not in their liability exposure zone.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
slightly crazy

ah ok i get it

thats a sad one actually ...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
ah ok i get it

thats a sad one actually ...
That is correct. Great powerplants. Fadec=Yummy. I was all excited back at Osh last year about the release of the larger displacement....only later did Tonto find out, "No Kimosabe, you can not ride my horse. Only Lone Ranger get to ride on amazing stallion. Your place is to ride old style mule..."
So this 'Tonto' decided to find a bigger mule... Bigger 540 mule eats more, but leaves Lone Ranger squinting & scratching his bald head trying to keep up with Tontosaurus.
In life there are always options, albeit with trade offs. I'm getting the high calorie Haggen Dass...but that low-calorie Theilurt yogurt is sure some tasty puddin'.