Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 11:42 AM
LongEZ wannabe since 1982

Default TAA

no, not T&A, you dopes -- Technically Advanced Aircraft.
I got to fly a gleaming new G1000-equipped C172S yesterday. (only 200 hours on it.)

holy bejeezus, you have never seen so many knobs and dials and switches. I felt like I was flying the dang space shuttle (and I would know... used to work for Rockwell and ran tests in the big simulator in Houston a few times).

lucky for me, I was on an airport-diner hamburger run with the chief instructor, who knows intimately how to run all those systems.

which also pointed out to me the value of having a pilot-rated copilot -- it sure was nice to offload all the navigation & knob-twiddling and simply focus on holding altitude, following the pretty pink line on the nav display, and not hitting any other aircraft.

the glass panel sure was sweet.
when I build a plane I'll have to be sure to install one.

73 total flight hours and counting -- now licensed to get myself into trouble, er, I mean, licensed to learn!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Default Re: TAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstrom View Post
TAA...Technically Advanced Aircraft.
I got to fly a gleaming new G1000-equipped....you have never seen so many knobs and dials and switches. I felt like I was flying the dang space shuttle
I wonder.
TAA
Is it the 'old codgers' who decided to label it TAA?.... just because its different than what they grew up on-and has a 'screen'?
My wifes Dad, bright as he is [and he IS pretty darn bright] still doesn't have a computer- because he says they're gibberish.
TAA...DA Dommm. [and a Cymbal crash]. I feel like I should maybe throw my hands up over my head, flailing them, and begin running in tight circles now that planes are thus so technically, and advancededly equipped.
Yow!
Give my 14 year old son 15 minutes with that equipment and NO manual- and he would probably school your boss on EVERY aspect of its capabilities.
[Not that that particular child of mine is smarter than your Scottish terrier-or so the bumper sticker reads]...Read MOST any of our kids are more savvy that way than the 'older codgers'.
Sooooo- just what is it with this TAA...and the FAA?
Theres a lot of 'glass out there. More coming out all the time. Theres a lot of iterations of integrated and partly integrated panels and some just flight instruments...
"...dddag-nabbit, theres too much information on those screens...all cluttered together. Wissits and wassitz and WAAS driven approaches, and knobs, and colors and tapes, and oh my, Martha, I think I'm in need of my digitalis....just lookin' at 'dem screens in the magazines gives me chest painz."

Do you now need to go get attend a school & become certified in some manner on each manufacturers equipment to fly their panels?

Maybe this is yet another reason the FAA is moaning about 'future flight' as they worry about keeping track of all the 'screen challenged' TAA flying older folks up and coming.
I dunno?

Oh yea, Danstrom, this was not to say that you were 'challenged', a TLS guy, [technically less advanced] or over say 50 years old here.=] You just hadn't gone to the G-whiz 1000 training school yet!

I can say all this / and ask all this, because I AM 50, my wife gets the AARP magazine...and I DO have a fear of all this technology..and where in Sam-Hill, its going to lead us. I also, along with millions of others, could never work the clock on my old VCR 15 years ago.

Last edited by Dennis Passey : 08-17-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:56 PM
LongEZ wannabe since 1982

the CFI was telling our passenger in the back that I was doing a fine job of looking out the window for other aircraft and not getting seduced by all the gadgetry, which most people do -- probably because I deal with technology all day and am not impressed by gadgetry, he opined.
he said that most people end up head-down far too much because of all the whizbang.

but the truth was that there was no point in trying to learn a G1000 WHILE IN THE AIR, what with all the rest of the workload a pilot has (or at least, that this pilot has), and I had an expert sitting next to me, so I just let him run it, and I focused only on the primary instruments that I was vaguely familiar with because of flying the 777 in Flight Simulator.

"FLY THE AIRPLANE."

me, I'm waiting for the system that has only a 39-pin connector that you can plug into the socket in the back of your head and fly by merely thinking about it.

73 total flight hours and counting -- now licensed to get myself into trouble, er, I mean, licensed to learn!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:01 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Certainly wasn't implying YOU were challenged.
I was first struck by this TAA 'geezer' thought- the moment I read the abbreviation in an AOPA magazine a few months ago.