Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Just plane canard talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: conversation with Nat

I tried not to get involved with the spat, BUT....

if it wasn't for the ACS ads that presented another option besides tube and steel, or pre-fabbed RV's, I would've put my building spirit to sleep. I'm one of them builders that have to try out all other building techniques before finding one that fits my needs --- composite.

We may have differing opinions on EAA, but it's the only organization that will represent the spirit of homebuilt construction, despite its tendency to conform to corporate mentality.

'Nuf said!

--Remi
"proud builder and EAA member!"
Old 09-13-2007, 09:45 PM

When I saw Shirl's prototype of the E Racer on the cover of SA a long time ago, I just had to have one.

Jack
E Racer 113
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Hello everyone,

Thanks for being there. I agree with John in that SA should pay more atenttion to homebuilders, but the way to change it is not just by turning head the other way. If they get money from big companies,,,great, they will have more money to do better quality magazine, and pay bills. In the other hand I think is a must to send pics and stories to the SA mag. I saw a canard in a magazine about 16 years ago, it was a velocity, and I tought it was a great looking plane I would never afford to own. I didn't know that a Cozy exist, I didn't know it is a homebuilt, I didn't know it is a plans built aircraft and I didn't know I could have one for me in the near future. I agree with John, I didn't fon out about Cozy in SA, But if I wouldn't see that Velocity 16 years ago in that mag, probably I would never google for it. By the way it was a month ago that I met the Cozy and I thank all of you for doing what you are doing, sharing all your building wisdom, you inspire to keep going and hope to see you soon in some fly in to show off my hard work.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
RV's are assembled. Canards are built.
I made personal modifications to the first part I assembled on my RV-10,,,,,,a servo operated rudder trim system. Not part of the kit or in the plans. Believe me,,,,there are plenty areas to add the personal touch to the RV aircraft! Its a lot more than just assembling "parts". A lot of the materials in the RV kit are raw and need extensive work and fabrication to get to the point of assembly,,,,similiar to the composite method of construction. Granted,,,the mechanical parts in the RV kits are all welded and powder coated,,,,ready for installation. Most Cozy builders also purchase their metal fabrications pre-fabricated by someone else. A very few,,like myself, fabricated their own from raw materials. Being someone that is building both types of aircraft,,,I can state based on personal experiance that there is no difference in personal satisfaction from assembling a Cozy part or an RV part. It ALL feels good in the end!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM

FYI, the September issue of SA has a Cozy and Velocity in the completed section as well as a plug for Marc's site www.cozybuilders.org. SA has always had (since I've been reading it) the little ACS add for the Cozy, the Velocity and the rear cover ACS add with the Cozy flying away.

If someones first exposure to homebuilts and GA was the EAA then SA might be one of the magazines that introduces them to canard aircraft, even if just a little picute of one.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
G.Norman

My first statement before John's was all in fun and a personal poke at Dave for fun as well. He's built/building both. Both are a PIA sometimes and both are great fun planes to build and be proud of. I'm very sure John is aware of that.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 AM
G.Norman

I travel a lot. Love all planes and love building. I used to buy the Pilot mags and others while traveling. They all made me envious with "some day I'll be rich or win the lottery". Now I take one to three SA mags with me wherever I go. Yes, lots of things not related to me and I usually pick up the newspaper instead at home. But while traveling they make me feel more like they're talking my language. Still some kind of brotherhood regardless of the task or materials. Still good education and reading on long flights, delays, and hotel rooms. At least its not another blah blah blah about the flight characteristics of another million+ dollar plane. OSH and EAA are still about us. Thank God for that someone is.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
I made personal modifications to the first part I assembled on my RV-10,,,,,I can state based on personal experiance that there is no difference in personal satisfaction from assembling a Cozy part or an RV part. It ALL feels good in the end!
You know, life is funny sometimes. I went to my first EAA local chapter meeting the month after Oshkosh 2001 when I'd just placed an order for my Velocity. I introduced myself and shared that we'd placed the kit order, it would be delivered in a few months, blah blah blah, and had a well-meaning gentleman come up to me during the social period and tell me that I didn't want to do that canard thing, "they're quite dangerous you know" and that "the RV is the single most popular kit ever made" over and over and over, stressing how many local builders could be used as a resource, whatever. Now I like the RVs, and actually am helping a dear friend with his RV-10 now, but I had ordered and was damn well going to build the Velocity, but no matter how many times I reitereated, "yea, I've already ordered the Velocity..." he wouldn't be deterred. But you gotta love the passion. But I don't belong to that chapter any more.

B