Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Fuel Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
LongEZ-RG

I'd need to look at my notes, but I seem to recall my tank screens were 40 per inch. Its a brass screen that is used in well heads to keep sand out.

My thoughts on the in line filters are, after they clog and bypass, you probably won't know about it until the "injectors" or carb fingers are also plugged up.

My approach was to filter out the particles before they even get into the fuel line.

PS - I just ordered an Airflow Fuel injection system, so I'm now in the same boat as you, i.e. eliminate debris in the fuel lines.

Waiter
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

I think Eracer ended up with a screen that was good to 10 microns before he solved the problem, quite a bit smaller than 40 per inch.

I talkin 20 or 30 square inches or was it 100 square inches, anyway lots of square inches, progressive screens, no filters as they clog and pressure relief

I believe that rv6jguy has 5 progressive screens on his subarooooo
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Eracer is schmart - copy his set up or better yet

RV6jguy is a racecar fuel injection pro - use the same screens he is using

Waiter - you schmart too, i just be unedumacated
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
G.Norman

My gosh where's the crap coming from?! What's the paranoia guys? Maybe locking fuel caps is the answer. I haven't flown much but I've never been on the side of the road for dirt in my fuel even with rusty old fuel tanks. Water, yes, cars, boats but no dirt.

If you're really afraid you can use a marine type fuel filter and water separator. They're huge and just change or inspect them regularly.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Tell that to Eracer - blew a jug when the injector clogged and it went leeeeeeean
dust

Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Fuel Filters/Screens

Decision is made - another thing done

RV6jguy thinks it may be overkill - thats ok by me - our tanks are notorious for harboring crap

2 2.5x8 inch pressure bypass SS screen 75 micron filters - one between each tank and the valve

one in the hell hole same size with pressure bypass but 45 micron mesh

don't ask the cost
dust

Last edited by Dust : 01-16-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

mounting bracket - tried this - will see shortly if it works, want it to hold the filter securely and allow for removal and cleaning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 23.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	4236  
dust

Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

System going in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 106.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	4338  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Parts - 107.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	4339  
dust

Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sure glad i chose the fuel filters from hell, -10 fitting, rated at 1100 GPH two rated at 75 microns, one per tank, and one at 45 microns at the firewall.

expensive but with all the planes falling out of the sky because of cloged filters the chance of that happening to me is slim. The filters are huge and if the first one plugs up, the second one will still work because of the internal bypass.

Simple and robust.

Finally put the valve in place permanently and two fuel lines, permanently. I really hope to fly next year and this stuff has to get done.
dust

Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Rich

Dust,

You might want to put some sort of softish (silicone) material between the filter and it's fiberglass housing. Glass is very abrasive to aluminum and with engine vibration there will probably considerable abrasion over time. You can call the material it creates, Dust's aluminum dust.