Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Which brake fluid and where to get it

Seems I'm just replicating the rotary list posts today, but this stuff is too important to miss.......

By Ed Anderson (Brake fires 1, Ed 0)

The more I research, the more brake fires I come across occurring in experimental aircraft. However, it turns out the standard brake fluid is widely used throughout general aviation as well as airlines - this is the standard 5606 series. The flash point has ranged from 187F to 240F as some improvements in flash point was made with each new formula up through Mil-P-5606H.

Attached in PDF format is a concise article from EAA chapter 493 about an RV-8 brake fire and the crucial difference between the old standard and the new brake fluid Mil-H-83282. The new brake fluid is compatible in every way with the standard - but has a flash point around 400F - almost twice that of our standard brake fluid. It turns out the standard brake fluid has been responsible for airliner crashes, GA crashes as well as numerous fires.

Your brakes are hot enough even with moderate braking to immediate ignite the standard brake fluid - if you have any kind of leak and the fluid contacts the brake pads or rotor - its quite possible you will find your aircraft on fire as I did.

Naturally I strongly recommend a change to the H-83282 as soon as practical - like no later than your next annual/conditional inspection if not sooner. Me I'm doing it sooner.

The source is:

http://commerce.acilubes.com/SearchR...x?CategoryID=7

Royce 782-1GL
MIL-PRF-83282
Hydraulic fluid, 1 Gallon
$18
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sep04new1.pdf (128.7 KB, 34 views)