Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2006, 05:04 PM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Woo Hoo! Congratulations Drew, just because you are out of the country does not mean you can become a stranger, stay connected!
Regards Chrissi & Randi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewChaplin
I move out of the country next week!!
Welcome to the south pacific. Spring in Melbourne should be just fine.

S
Old 08-16-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuskid
What is the breakdown of your costs?

ground school: not much ground school maybe 5 hrs at the instructor rate
aircraft wet:C172S cost:$108 p/hr type: standard instruments
hourly instruction rate: $37 p/hr
test: $100 for the written and $375 for final check ride + aircraft hourly rate
other: added 4-5 extra flights, King school CD kit & books, $299. headset and other misc. stuff not too expensive charts etc.

thanks,

John
see above

Tate
Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 AM
LongEZ wannabe since 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrotate
see above
I second that.

ground school: Cessna computer-based course, $299
aircraft wet: C172R or S, $110 to $120/hr
instructor rate: 40/hr

misc supplies, decent headset, charts, study books, test fees, bla bla bla.

I'm at about 46 flight hours, about 50 instructor hours, and about $10K in cost right now.

(note that if you're lightweight enough to put you and an instructor and full fuel into a cessna 152, your cost will be less... in my case, would have made it perhaps $1500-2000 cheaper... but I'm a big lug, so it's the 172 for me.)

all four flight schools in and near Seattle were about the same rates; the one I'm going to has new-ish planes and an insurance policy that covers renters if you adhere to certain constraints (no airports < 2500', etc).

hey, if you amortize the cost over all the years I've wanted to do it, it's only about $400/year!

(now, in contrast, I ran into a former co-worker up at the flight school today, who is taking multiengine lessons in their Duchess... at something like $600 per training flight, ouch!)

73 total flight hours and counting -- now licensed to get myself into trouble, er, I mean, licensed to learn!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info ...

very helpful

John
Old 08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Actively building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kriley
Contact the FAA in Oklahoma City and get the plastic card! CONGRATS, PILOT!
Has anyone else's plastic card faded or rubbed off? Mine looks like they printed it on an inkjet printer.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
LongEZ wannabe since 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack F.
Has anyone else's plastic card faded or rubbed off? Mine looks like they printed it on an inkjet printer.
if the latter, you can do what they do at my gym with our membership cards -- take a piece of clear packing tape and cover the card to keep the ink from rubbing off.

73 total flight hours and counting -- now licensed to get myself into trouble, er, I mean, licensed to learn!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:02 AM
A builder at last.

Here are some real rough numbers on my flight training.

I began my flight training in late 2003. Cessna was giving about fifty $1,000 scholarships to anyone between 18 & 25 who wanted to be a pilot. All you had to do is write a 500 word essay on why you wanted to be a pilot. I was 24 1/2 at the time and graduated with my bachelors just a few months before. Gee, do you think a 500 word essay was tough? Pretty easy. I also received the Cessna 'Cleared for Takeoff' DVD and book training set, a bag, manual to a c172, logbook, and a couple other things ($300 value). Pretty cool. I did have to use the credit at a Cessna Pilot Center. (By the way, I probably wouldn't recommend the 'cleared for takeoff' set; I thought it was too basic)

Search for my name here:
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/us...iaa_awards.htm

I quickly used that up and continued flying about once a week till mid 2004. That was when I went into sales on a commission only basis. So when I had the time I didn't have the money and when I had the money I didn't have the time. I fizzled on for a couple months and finally stopped training. At this point I had about 32 hours of which 4 were solo. Flight training at this location cost about $100 with instructor.

Over the next couple years I tagged along with a good friend of mine who was a CFI. We logged about a dozen hours in the process which he signed off in my logbook. Not much structured training, but it does help my total hours on the cheap. One flight was 7.2 hours when we ferried a c150 from Portland, IN (PLD) to Mena AR (KMEZ) to be painted. That actually was fun. I also flew along one several other trips, but we couldn't log for one reason or other.

Well last fall I accepted my current position and within a few months I was ready to finish my ticket. My cfi and I agreed that if I should concentrate on finishing the bookwork and passing then written test. Then we could finish the flight training with one less distraction. So in January I started from page one and started the book work all over. I was finally ready to take the written about April. We started the flight training planning to stretch it out over a few months. Within a few weeks of starting, I was suddenly offered the position in Australia. At this point I had worked too hard to stop and then start over when we get back. So we pushed full steam ahead. One week I flew every night! We started in June and up until I Aug 12 we flew 38.3 with about 14 of that solo. Most of this training was done in a C150m which cost me $60 an hour. My CFI and I struck up one heck of a deal. We are good friends and he was recently engaged. I have a background as a professional portrait and wedding photographer. We agreed to swapped services. I took a great set of pictures for them, let them order as much as humanly possibly and even gave them the high resolution files. He then trained me for FREE!!! He probably got about $600 to $700 worth of photographs and his 24 hours of dual time at $35 and is $840. We both came out well.

So to some it all up.
I took the check ride at around 70 hours of flight training (actually 81 logged)

Training two years ago:
Plane 32 x $65 = $2,080
CFI 28 x $35 = $980
Scholarship -$1,000

This time
Plane 38 x $60 = $2280
CFI free

2,080 + 980 - 1,000 + 2280 = $4340 out of pocket
Actually add probably another $1,000 to that for misc things like:
checkride fee ($300)
written test ($90)
Various sections, faraim, afd, etc,
Renters insurance
Cost of shooting picture and having prints made (probably cost me <$100)

Also for comparison to most people add the scholarship back in and free CFI fees.

So for comparison, I'd say it would normally have cost me about $7,500 to get here.

Today, August 18, I have 89.7 hours and hope to log a couple more before we leave next week.

Good luck everyone. I feel like I could float on cloud nine all the way to Australia!!!
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings

Last edited by DrewChaplin : 08-18-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Bought Plans..Preparing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewChaplin
RE: Temporary License
Congrats Drew!! Now you can add those initials behind your name like doctors and dentists do!!

"Watch thine airspeed...least the ground come up and smite thee...."
Old 08-25-2006, 09:11 AM

Congrates Drew!

My PPL paperwork arrived today too. If you are really coming to Australia and its going to be Melbourne, you'd better look me up and come for a ride. OK? I'm 10 minutes from YMMB and should have a canard to fly in a couple of months.

Dave