Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 AM

Default target drones jets

U.S. Airforce drones have a small jet engine. I think Beach built some. Anyone know what jet they use?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:48 AM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd01
U.S. Airforce drones have a small jet engine. I think Beach built some. Anyone know what jet they use?
Williams TurboFan I think.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Willi...ional+turbofan

S
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

I guess you guys have finally found your powerplant!
End of search!
Case closed!
They gotta cost more than 35k though.
Arriva- dirt-chee..
Old 09-05-2006, 12:06 PM

What about FJ33?
I mean that does Williams sell to experimental builders these engines or do the purchaser need to be some sertified organization installing the engine to some sertified aircraft? Would be interesting to know how much FJ33 costs.
May be quite expensive when compared to piston engines, but would be still good to know.
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 09-05-2006, 12:40 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

New turbine engines are not cheap. A "Cheap" 0 time turbine would be around 150k-200k. So I can only imagine what an FJ33 would cost.... probably so much more that it would make putting a straight turbojet in and paying for the extra fuel economical.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:14 PM

I wonder where a guy woulld put all the fuel for these fancy schmancy 1000nm range jet-cozys...maybe a trailer... to tow behind?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey
I wonder where a guy woulld put all the fuel for these fancy schmancy 1000nm range jet-cozys...maybe a trailer... to tow behind?
Greg gave up his rear seat in order to have an extra fuel tank in his plane.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:53 PM

I guess he's got a single seat Bearkoot then...hot dam... He's the Lone Rangger! Trade offs for everything huh?! If I travel I wanna have room to bring my snugglebunny with me. Me, Lone Ranger neeeed female Tonto..Keemosabe.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 PM

Greg's plane started its life as a Cozy, so it still has seating for 2 in front.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 PM

Yea, I know, But I thought this thread was about the Bearoot er, koot aircraft not Gregs..Wverybody knows about Gregs.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 AM

A comment to earlier comment here:
- There might be substantial market for small lightweight but efficient inexpensive turbofan designed for experimentals (not having the super high price tag of certified engine). Currently it seems that only the bigger ones are developed to be fuel efficient and there is no small efficient multi-stage turbine out there which would have fuel consumption as major design criteria and would not have more thrust than e.g. 300 hp piston engine, so instead of being designed for business jets with too much thrust, the engine would be designed as efficient as possible in low power range. Because I am not an expert with turbine design, I can't say how to do it (propably hard, requires expensive super-accurate machining, heat treatments, might be challenging for small companies), but if someone would design a such engine that would work and really have the same efficiency with low power than the big engines with high power relatively, there might be large amounts of small inexpensive jet aircraft kits appearing to the market. Currently the problem with jets is the price. Pushing the envelope would not be really installing even bigger and even more expensive engines to experimentals but instead develop an engine that would be cheap. Simple and cheap, economical to use (compared to current engines on market) and obtainable for everyone. The winner is not the one that does nicest jet kit but the one who makes the cheapest and still a good one.
If such engine existed, our plane in the future would be pushed with one. But with no such thing available, jet is not an option.
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 09-06-2006, 11:43 AM

Karolina- I think It would be an ice cubes chance in the hot spot for a manufacturer to spend a several million dollars to produce your described engine for a market of 37+ homebuilding aviators... Several limiting points [ intitial cost, availability, fuel consumption etc] surface about a jet in a Cozy...that has been my tounge in cheek observation throughout this post.
A single seat berkut... hey, the guy obviously really wants a fighter plane- can you blame him!? I bet he does a military paint scheme! Theres a Vari viggin in Hollister Calif that is done to look like a navy carrier type plane and it looks really great.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:27 PM
builder wannabe

pity the BD-10 went the way of the dodo... what a bird! I think too many people tried to pop its sound barrier - which is a pity, coz its a nice aeroplane even without the supersonic bit.

S
Old 09-06-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey
A single seat berkut... hey, the guy obviously really wants a fighter plane- can you blame him!?
Of course not

I might want to have one too allthough I want also to have a plane that can be used for economical travel.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karoliina
I might want to have one too allthough I want also to have a plane that can be used for economical travel.
Just mount a Rotax 912 on a detachable engine pod, have that attached to a hardpoint that's right on the CG, and swing an appropriate prop. Sure, it's a couple hundred lbs, sure the thrust adds a little bit of asymmetric downward pitch, but hell, ya can cruise for hours!