Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Landing gear leg

I have received the price list from Featherlite and am ready to send out for the gear legs since the lead time is at least 2- 3 months.

However, I was also browsing through the Aerocanard site and noticed they also sell Mk IV parts. Since they are much closer to me than Featherlite, there is a potential saving in shipping. My concern is if there is any quality issue with Aerocanard, realizing that there has been a recent change in ownership.

Yes, I am acutely aware of Aerocanard not being an "official" supplier and the legal wrangling. It is an issue that I hope does not rear its ugliness on this forum stemming from this posting. I merely want to compare product quality in order to make an informed purchasing decision.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi Khu
...... My concern is if there is any quality issue with Aerocanard, realizing that there has been a recent change in ownership.....
I have the AC main strut on my plane - no problems at all.

There was a period of time where Nat P. was claiming that the AC struts had a tendency to "spread" (you should have seen this in the back issues of the newsletter that you read, right?), while the FL ones didn't, but Nat's theory with respect to this issue has been totally discredited, given the extremely small number of spread samples and the fact that a very small number of FL struts have apparently spread as well.

Personally, I had no issue with using either FL or AC's parts in this application, (purchased from the previous owner), but the change in ownership might make me think twice about waiting a while until the new owner has proven their parts quality. I've been bitten too many times buying the first or second widget off the mfg line....
Old 03-31-2005, 04:06 PM

I thought I recalled that AeroCad had ceased production of the main gear bows. It's not listed as an item for sale on the present AeroCad website.

In searching the Cozy email archives, I came upon an email from AeroCad, entitled "Venders (sic) Notice", (Dec 14, 2001), contained within says, We will also no longer make S-2 glass main landing gear
and nose struts. We are giving that business to Featherlite. We will still offer to build up the gears rapping (sic) them in glass and adding the gear tabs. Featherlite will drop ship them to us for that purpose."

I don't ever recall the gear being produced again by AeroCad.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 03-31-2005, 04:24 PM

Wayne,

I stand corrected. Aerocanard does not sell the gear leg. Their website listing does not have it listed. Once again, I posted a question in haste without carefully reading their listing. My sincere apologies for the confusion.

Remi
Old 03-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - just wait till you misread the instructions and make a part backwards, who knows, maybe one day some will accidentally build a tractor canard!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 03-31-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Yeah - just wait till you misread the instructions and make a part backwards, who knows, maybe one day some will accidentally build a tractor canard!
Wasn't that thing called a Dragonfly?????????
Old 03-31-2005, 06:25 PM

Dusty, I believe it's possible that I can inadvertently build a tractor out of a pusher plane Thankfully, at this stage, I am too insecure of every little step that I spend a lot of time reading, re-reading and scouring other builders' pages before doing any building. My wife thinks I worry too much. LOL

-- Remi
Old 03-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Chapter 19 and 23

Default Featherlite Gear

Guys, Opps and Gals,

I called FL a couple weeks ago and the said they had gear in stock, ready to go. Told them as soon as tax return comes back, I'd order.

Bob
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

if you are anything like the rest of us - you WILL make mistakes, fortunately, foam and fiberglass lets you normally fix almost any part.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-15-2005, 12:52 PM
G.Norman

Default Main Gear - best deal going

I emailed with John a couple days ago his main bow situation. We agreed it would probably not hurt to add 2 more layers of 45 deg UNI.

I heard Featherlite has the best deal going with Matco brakes and wheels kit. I'd like a poll as to what to get for a Cozy. I've heard Clevelands are good as well. I hear the name a lot on GA aircraft listings. So, what's the best and who to get it from?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:29 PM
G.Norman

Too challenging of a question for anyone?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ima a laughin - for years and years this has been a bone of contention, big arguments - and, what do we have here - nutin

matco = specs
cleveland = more than specs

worry about the cleveland is tooooo much heat, that is what the brakes turn the speed into, and could damage the spar attach point

or maybe i confused the two

on adding layers to the gear, john had his gear fully weighed down in the florida heat for years. Seems that they post cured to that position.

proposed solution, post cure in the unsprung position
dust

Old 06-17-2005, 03:19 PM
LongEZ-RG

I had the original Cleveland's on my LongEZ, and they were "marginal" on a good day. These were the light duty, I think the disk was only 1/4 inch thick. DO NOT USE THESE. They are maintenance intensive, and the braking capacity is not acceptable. I think Cleveland's next size up used the same pad, but the disk was thicker. This allowed more heat dissipation, and eliminated the problems with disk warpage due to heat. These may be acceptable, but the Groves are a little better quality, and less expensive.

On my original Fixed gear, I made a "heat shield" out of 1/8 inch aluminum sheet, that covered the entire disk. The heat shield served double duty as a mounting plate for my wheel pants. I never had any problems with heat bothering the bow, but I was always very conservative when it came to using the brakes.

I was going to replace the original Cleveland's with "Groves", as part of my drag reduction/cleanup. The Grove's were dual piston, used a larger pad, and the caliper was about 3/8 thick. The Caliper assembly would fit the Cleveland slide mount, and it was just a little larger, so its perfect for retrofits as it requires little or no alteration. Reports I've heard from the Long EZ community indicate that this is the brake of choice. When I sold my Main Gear Bow, I threw in a brand new set of Groves with it.

The Matco is a little different, The unit I have, uses three pistons, and two pads. Also, the Disk is probably only 1/4 inch thick, and mounts to the inboard wheel half in a manner that differs greatly from the Cleveland or Grove. The Caliper/disk assembly only stick out about 1 1/2 inch from the wheel, The Cleveland's and Groves stick out almost three inches. This additional clearance allows for tighter wheel pants (less drag) or in my case, the brake assembly fits comfortably close to the wheel, so there are no humps or blisters in my Wheel Well Doors.

Waiter
Old 06-17-2005, 04:11 PM

There are Clevelands on the Cozy III that I'm flying, the same kind as spec'd for the IV in the plans. I don't feel like I have much braking authority. I can feel them fade if I stayon the brakes for very long.

I felt how Marc's plane does with the Matcos. He certainly seemed to have alot more authority and the plane surely stopped faster and easier. No fear there.

Nat recommended the Clevelands because (1) that's what he has on the plane, and (2) he would try any others. His suggestion of "use the entire runway, go light on the brakes", I saw this first hand when I flew with him. We touched down and sure enough we rolled all the way to the other end of the runway. A jet following us had to go around because we didn't clear the runway at a reasonable turnoff.

I KNOW I'll be happy with the MATCOs.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 06-17-2005, 04:20 PM

I'd be interested in the models that you guys are discussing, because I've just changed my stock Velocity Matcos to 'upgraded' Clevelands, because all of the XL guys were complaining that the Matcos were marginal.

Brett